RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/8846989-official-mini-e-revo-thread.html)

cool-joe 12-07-2009 12:52 PM

RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

ORIGINAL: srt10

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: Nesal

Hi there guys,
Im looking for a cool christmas present for my Dad. He wants:
- Something electric, MUST be brushless
- Something fast
- Something that you can bash and is durable for jumping

Is the Mini E-Revo VXL my best option? Savage Flux is a bit pricey and I have the nitro version... He currently has a Summit which he likes to crawl with but it lacks speed. Ive heard the 1/16 E-Revo VXL is very durable and very fast with two batteries. What sort of runtime do you get with the two battery set up in series for the 50mph top speed? It looks like a fun car, my only worry is its size. He wants fast and can jump.
Thanks for the help!! Much appreciated

The brushless mini revo is your best bet. Two niMh batteries in series will make it run 50+mph and have about 10-15 min. of run time. In parallel it will go about 30+ and have double the run time. If you get two lipo batteries in series then the speed will be CRAZY, BUT you will need an external LVC because the stock one is only good to 3s. I would get 2s x 2 and use them in parallel, which would give you 50++mph and about 40ish minutes of run time from what I have read up on.
2 2s lipo batteries in parallel will give upper 30s geared right, but 2 3s batteries in parallel can give 50mph and good run times..
+1 on the mini revo, they are great.. fast and take a beating! :D

I'm with you, trying to run NiMH packs with a BL system is a waste of time and too many issues due to the inferior batts. Go LiPO and you'll never go back.

Nesal 12-07-2009 01:01 PM

So about the LVC, what should we do if running 2X2s lipos in series? We're ok with stock? What about 2X 3s in series? I didnt understand exactly what is needed. Thks

srt10 12-07-2009 01:34 PM

So about the LVC, what should we do if running 2X2s lipos in series? We're ok with stock? What about 2X 3s in series? I didnt understand exactly what is needed. Thks
The stock esc has a LVC for 2s and 3s so if you run 4s you would need to time your runs or get an external lvc to use..
NO! on the 2x 3s in series, that's 6s and will smoke the esc but would be AWESOME for about 15 seconds! :D
now 2x 3s in parallel would rock.. it would be fast and have long run times..

cool-joe 12-07-2009 01:46 PM

These should show you and explain things fully.
It should tell you why you should <u>not</u> be trying to run a total of 4S by running in series with the stock ESC that is not rated to handle it.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4...leldiagram.jpg
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6...iesdiagram.jpg

Nesal 12-07-2009 02:11 PM

Ok thanks I now have it clear BUT what about dual 7.2v nimh packs in series? That would be 14.4v, why cant the stock esc handle dual 7.4 lipos in series? That would be 14.8v!
Or is it not comparable due to the C ratings of lipos vs nimh. What speed are we looking at with 2 and 3s lipos? Will 2s get me in the 50s? Thks!

srt10 12-07-2009 02:16 PM

Ok thanks I now have it clear BUT what about dual 7.2v nimh packs in series? That would be 14.4v, why cant the stock esc handle dual 7.4 lipos in series? That would be 14.8v!
Or is it not comparable due to the C ratings of lipos vs nimh. What speed are we looking at with 2 and 3s lipos? Will 2s get me in the 50s? Thks!
The stock mini vxl esc will handle 4s but it does not have a built in lvc for 4s.. you can run 4s on the stock esc
speeds on 2s would be mid to upper 30s with the right gearing and 50+ with 3s and the right gearing..
2s will not get you 50mph without tall gearing that will over work the motor and esc..

cool-joe 12-07-2009 02:29 PM

It is kind of like one of those rules of "rational thought" over "what can it do."
Even if they say you can runtwo 7.4vpacks in series, why do it if the LVC doesn't work?
Is there really a need for a monster truck to go 50+ mph?
Do you have the skills to control it if it does?
Do you have the budget to replace lots of parts when you crash it at speed?
Do you not know that the faster you run these, the quicker you kill off the motor/esc?

Reminds me of an old RC expression: "If you have to ask, it's too fast for you."

srt10 12-07-2009 03:01 PM

you are right, the stock esc can take 4s...
Ask all you want we at RCU are here for ya :D
this is a run on 3s and a big pinion gear, over 60mph!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJPGm...eature=related
lots of 4s vids on youtube... but this 3s is very good

Xrevo34X 12-07-2009 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: supercooper34

ok this looks pretty cool...dose all of them come with the same paint job or can i paint it my self?

because i had a pretty cool idea for it.
thanks
cooper

Hey Supercooper the bodies come clear so check out Youtube for some painting tips. Such as paint it from the inside so it won't scratch when you roll it over. Youtube has alot of good suggestions. You can purchase the clear body on ebay for around 20 bucks so have fun and show some pics when your finished with it. Good luck.

Xrevo34X 12-07-2009 08:19 PM

I 100% agree with COOLJOE about the speed factor. I was always running 2s lipo and when i bought some 3s lipos, it was so crazy fast and broke stuff on the first run. It did about ten cartwheels on the street and cracked 3 of the wheels. They was cheaper wheels so no biggy but its an overkill for bashing imo. I wouldn't want to even see 4s but if you do it take some video and show us..

srt10 12-07-2009 08:36 PM

I agree, lots of throttle control needed when running 3s is these little trucks
parts will break easier at those speeds ;)

Nesal 12-07-2009 09:33 PM

Cool, think I will go with 2s. How do you control the engine temp? How do you know when its getting too hot? or when you can still go to a bigger pinion for higher speed... thks my Dad is gonna love this thing!

cool-joe 12-07-2009 11:18 PM

Cool, think I will go with 2s. How do you control the engine temp? How do you know when its getting too hot? or when you can still go to a bigger pinion for higher speed... thks my Dad is gonna love this thing!
165 degrees minmum to 200 maximum is the general rule. But if you don't have a thermometer you can tell if the motor is too hot you can tell after running it a few minutes because you won't be able to hold your finger on the motor for 5 seconds without burning yourself, and it's a sign to drop down a couple of teeth on the pinion. If it's running cool, and barely warm to the touch, you can go up on the pinion.

srt10 12-08-2009 12:50 AM

pickup a temp gun for only about 25bucks, well worth the money..
even 125* can feel very hot to the touch.
2s is plenty fast and your pops will have fun with it.. :D

Pullstarter 12-08-2009 05:36 AM

Does anyone know what the maximum dimensions you can use for a lipo pack are to fit in the battery compartment?

cool-joe 12-08-2009 09:33 AM

even 125* can feel very hot to the touch.

Not really. Maybe if you've got girlie hands and baby soft skin.

wyattroa 12-08-2009 10:53 AM

i just ran my car in the snow.. it was only 2 inches, but, thats about as much as it can handle.. man was it fun! Currently charging the savage flux batteries!

robert

srt10 12-08-2009 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: wyattroa

i just ran my car in the snow.. it was only 2 inches, but, thats about as much as it can handle.. man was it fun! Currently charging the savage flux batteries!

robert
about an 1 1/2" is about all my mini slash will take
are you using the stock tires?

ThEoNeS911 12-08-2009 09:51 PM

My MERV handles maybe 4 in., but maybe that's because I have a custom-made snowplow on it..

wyattroa 12-09-2009 02:29 AM

ORIGINAL: wyattroa

robert
about an 1 1/2'' is about all my mini slash will take
are you using the stock tires?
yep stock tires on it.
robert

srt10 12-09-2009 02:54 AM

has anyone tried paddle tires on their mini revo yet?

Pullstarter 12-09-2009 03:11 AM

Thinking about trying the Venom 2S 2000mah 20C lipos as the dimensions seem to be the same as the standard nimh pack, anyone had any experience with these? Good or bad?

z33guru 12-09-2009 11:53 AM

Got a link? I have not heard much positive about the venom brand. And it seems like pretty much all lipos are going to require you to cut the battery door a bit due to the thicker wiring. Anybody know some that fit without any cutting?

mxracer154 12-09-2009 12:08 PM

Hey guys, its been a while since ive been on here. Ive been over on the traxxas forums and have learned a lot about these trucks.

About the venom lipo's, im running a 3s 1300mah. I wasn't planning on running venom but venom recently just cut all there battery packs prices in half. So i got the 3s for 20 bucks at my lhs! What a steal! Its been working great for me so far, but ive only had about 7 cycles on it. They have the 2s 2000mah that you are talking about at my lhs for $24.99. I say go for it if you can get them at that price. Also another reason i decided to go for it is, that if i get a bad cell or anything in the future, i can take it back to my lhs they will give me a new one on the spot and send the old one back.

Paddle tires. I am actually picking some up tomorrow after i get paid! :D We just got 7 inches of snow last night so no school for me today! It's freezing cold here though. The windshield is -23 with wind. Anyways, people are running the HPI super star wheels (12mm hex, same as stock) and pro line sand paws. It appears to be working great, im gonna pick some up tomorrow at my lhs if they have 2 sets of the sand paws, if not ill order of tower.

Here is a vid of a guy running his merv with those sand paws in snow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVa5ah0ebl8
and another one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-7X11X50M

srt10 12-09-2009 01:14 PM

If I could get those venom 2s packs at my lhs for only 25 bucks... ill buy two