RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/8846989-official-mini-e-revo-thread.html)

PrjctStrtFrce 12-15-2009 01:22 PM

RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

I have used the stock pinion from day one with two batteries uin series. Just monitor temps and don't keep doing non-stop speed runs. Get a motor heat-sink, ESC heat-sink, and cut some vent holes in the body and you will be golden.

srt10 12-15-2009 01:25 PM

and keep a temp gun close, some guys could only run for about 2min before smoke!

Shawn Pierce 12-15-2009 01:30 PM

ok....Change pinion right away...and basicly watch temps....got it.

where could i find 3cell lipos for this thing that i dont have to cut up my truck? Also, so basicly the stock ecs does handle a 3cell lipo? does it have a auto cutoff?

srt10 12-15-2009 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Shawn Pierce

ok....Change pinion right away...and basicly watch temps....got it.

where could i find 3cell lipos for this thing that i dont have to cut up my truck? Also, so basicly the stock ecs does handle a 3cell lipo? does it have a auto cutoff?
hobbycity is a good place for batteries, I've also bought several batteries from ebay..
the stock esc can actually handle 4s ..
the esc does have a lvc for 3s but not 4s

J0EC00L 12-15-2009 04:12 PM

I have a question...

i have been running 2 x 2200Mah 25C 2S Lipos and have the y harness runing them in parallel. This has provided me with excellent results. i bought a temp gun, just to be safe; but i haven't had any issues with overheating or smoke. Granted, i don't stay on the throttle too long either, maybe for 10 to 15 seconds at the most, before i run out of street. I also added the mototr heat sinc with fan from the Toyz - really awesome addition.

Ok, on to my question: I have yet to change out the pinion. Is this necessary? Will i see a difference in the low end? I truly like the quick jump to speed and ability to mash the throttle and get the wheelie! After installing wheelie bars, this is loads of fun!! :) Will i still get wheelie poppin' action with the pinion change out? - Also, how difficult is it to change out the pinion... will it require removal of everything? I am guessing the motor & transmission..?? - i'm sure the manual will explain, but it's easier to just get advice from those who have done the swap multiple times.

Thanks

Joe

srt10 12-15-2009 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

I have a question...

i have been running 2 x 2200Mah 25C 2S Lipos and have the y harness runing them in parallel. This has provided me with excellent results. i bought a temp gun, just to be safe; but i haven't had any issues with overheating or smoke. Granted, i don't stay on the throttle too long either, maybe for 10 to 15 seconds at the most, before i run out of street. I also added the mototr heat sinc with fan from the Toyz - really awesome addition.

Ok, on to my question: I have yet to change out the pinion. Is this necessary? Will i see a difference in the low end? I truly like the quick jump to speed and ability to mash the throttle and get the wheelie! After installing wheelie bars, this is loads of fun!! :) Will i still get wheelie poppin' action with the pinion change out? - Also, how difficult is it to change out the pinion... will it require removal of everything? I am guessing the motor & transmission..?? - i'm sure the manual will explain, but it's easier to just get advice from those who have done the swap multiple times.

Thanks

Joe
If your running 2s batteries in parallel you will be just fine using the stock pinion and no need to go with a smaller pinion
second changing out the pinion only take two srews, one for the cover and one that holds the motor to the mount.. pull the motor off and lossen the screw on the pinion and walla

projct 12-16-2009 11:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; ">So I needed something to hold the shock body while I let it sit for a couple minutes, and I came up with this - put the shaft end in the socket of your wrench!</span><div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; "><div></div><div>I'm a faaaaaaaaaaaart smeller, if I do say so myself.</div><div></div></div></span>

HerrSavage 12-17-2009 05:12 AM

Will this work?:

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/v...RevoVXLPic.jpg

Just kidding... :D:D Funny pic I found on a German forum...

srt10 12-17-2009 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Will this work?:

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/v...RevoVXLPic.jpg

Just kidding... :D:D Funny pic I found on a German forum...
Yes! :D
I've done something kinda like that, I put a 2s 5000mah pack under my mini slash body and ran it for about an hour till I ran out of daylight!

J0EC00L 12-17-2009 06:15 PM

Ok, so does anyone have the turnigy 420 lipo charger from hobby city? I do, and it has been a sinch so far... Until now. I know the charger doesn't actually balance, but it does charge the battery cells individually. On to my problem. I went to plug it in, and it didn't do anything. I don't think it's the charger, it may be in the power cord, which resembles something that powers a lap top. I bought the charger and cord from hobby city. There is usually a green light on the power adapter, but nothing. Has anyone had similar issues - pending they bought a charger and power cord from hobby city. Have you had to get a replacement from hobby city?? I hate ordering from china! I think I might just go with a better charger balancer. Anyone have any suggestions on a really good one that is around 50$

Nesal 12-17-2009 06:24 PM

Ok so I listened to you! I got the mini e-revo for my dad and will be giving it to him at christmas. Are there any parts I should get that usually break? I have been told to get different shock springs, what can you reccomend? for offroad and jumping.
Another question, regarding the lipos I was thinking of making everything as easy as possible and just installing traxxas connectors, are these ok? I know deans are the bomb but would rather leave everything as is... any comments?
Last but not least what diff and shock oils are you running? For jumping and offroad use!
Thanks!

Nesal 12-17-2009 06:34 PM

Also what about different gearing? Do I need any different spur or pinion gears? Will be running 7.4v 2200 Zippy Lipos
Thks guys!

PrjctStrtFrce 12-17-2009 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Nesal

Ok so I listened to you! I got the mini e-revo for my dad and will be giving it to him at christmas. Are there any parts I should get that usually break? I have been told to get different shock springs, what can you reccomend? for offroad and jumping.
Another question, regarding the lipos I was thinking of making everything as easy as possible and just installing traxxas connectors, are these ok? I know deans are the bomb but would rather leave everything as is... any comments?
Last but not least what diff and shock oils are you running? For jumping and offroad use!
Thanks!
For basic bashing, I would just recommend changing the shock oil to 80-100wt. Sounds thick, but it definitely doesn't feel like it in these little guys. It has been discussed and many people have stated that the Traxxas connectors are just as good as the Deans connectors, but use what you have I guess, OR just buy batteries that already have the Traxxas connectors.

Get yourself a series and parallel connector, bearings for the rocker arms and steering rack, wheelie bar, and at least a heat-sink for the motor.

Also what about different gearing? Do I need any different spur or pinion gears? Will be running 7.4v 2200 Zippy Lipos
Thks guys!
Gearing you will be good, unless you do a lot of driving in grass or off-road applications, then you can gear down some more, but keep in mind that there is a lower pinion gear that also comes with the truck. (lower pinion=more bottom end/less top end, lower spur gear=less bottom end/more top end and vice versa)

J0EC00L 12-17-2009 07:24 PM

Check some previous posts in this forum about a page or so back. I asked the same question about thelipos. I have the 2200 2s lipos and run them parallel and haven't changed the gearing. So far so good and no troubles or issues. You can change the gearng for hgher top speeds, but leaving it stock shouldn't pose any issues with the lipos. Before you buy anything else, jet rnthe veicle as is. It's an extremely fun rc bone stock. The lipos will be a nice addition, make sure to get a scent balancer charger for it. All the hop ups can come later... Just equip him with everything he needs to run it out the box, which actually is already there bone stockc out the box - hence rtr. You can get the lipos with traxxas connectors already on them from eBay. Let him run it first without lipo, then run it with lipos. Also, don't forget y harness.

So, in closing, stick to batteries first, y harness, and cahrger balancer. Let him decide which upgrades.

J0EC00L 12-17-2009 07:26 PM

Sorry about the mis-spelled words... Trying to type all of this from my I phone.

srt10 12-17-2009 08:06 PM

Sorry about the mis-spelled words... Trying to type all of this from my I phone.
I have a G-1, makes it hard to respond.. :D

mxracer154 12-17-2009 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Ok, so does anyone have the turnigy 420 lipo charger from hobby city? I do, and it has been a sinch so far... Until now. I know the charger doesn't actually balance, but it does charge the battery cells individually. On to my problem. I went to plug it in, and it didn't do anything. I don't think it's the charger, it may be in the power cord, which resembles something that powers a lap top. I bought the charger and cord from hobby city. There is usually a green light on the power adapter, but nothing. Has anyone had similar issues - pending they bought a charger and power cord from hobby city. Have you had to get a replacement from hobby city?? I hate ordering from china! I think I might just go with a better charger balancer. Anyone have any suggestions on a really good one that is around 50$
For a better charger check out these. I guess they all are amazing chargers for the price and have built in a/c adapters. The ones that are like 10 bucks cheaper dont have the a/c adapter built in. I know many have had great comments on the thunder ac6 but i think i would go with the sky charger. They are basically the same thing but the balancing board is built in on the sky charger. Which that could also be a bad thing about it if somehow something breaks on it. Hmmm maybe the thunder would be the better of the two. What is cool about these chargers is that you can install a program and monitor ur batts as you charge them. They charge 1-15 cell nimih 1-6s lipo, and life batteries. It also charges up to 5 amps which is more than enough for mini's and usually enough for larger batteries say running in a slash which would usually be 5000mah so 5 amps. Im actually looking at getting one of these chargers myself.

Chargers. You can get the thunder ac6 on www.xheli.com also.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/lipochargers.html

I do have some pics of my merv with the paddles :D

J0EC00L 12-17-2009 09:42 PM

Awesome info on the charger. I think I will go with the acr, price is just right, plus it comes with everything.

Thanks again

bnt83 12-18-2009 08:38 PM

I know most are running lipos but I have four stock 1200 mA NiMH batteries that I run in pairs with the parallel conectors. I know most people are charging packs indivigually, but I have been charging them in parallel with a digital charger selecting 2400 mA capacity and charging at .4 amps up to 2.4 amps. I dont see anything wrong with this, do you? Since my gas tank (so to speak is twice as big and in two packs, can't i charge at double the rate which divided by two is the normal rate between the two packs?

Nesal 12-19-2009 10:06 AM

Should I think about getting these if running 2S Lipos??

http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_deta...&cat_name=MINI 1/16 REVO

Also is stock gearing ok for 2.2" rims and tires? Road rages for onroad use in particular... thks

ruststang94 12-19-2009 10:53 AM

How good is this charger and can I charge two 2s lipos at the same time on this?
Charger:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger

srt10 12-19-2009 11:50 AM

Should I think about getting these if running 2S Lipos??

Also is stock gearing ok for 2.2'' rims and tires? Road rages for onroad use in particular... thks
those will help very much in keeping the electronincs cool
and as long as the tires are about the same in height as the stock ones you will not need to change the pinion to run them

srt10 12-19-2009 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: ruststang94

How good is this charger and can I charge two 2s lipos at the same time on this?
Charger:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger
that is a great charger, and you will need a balance adapter to charge two batteries at the same time..

bnt83 12-20-2009 11:56 AM

I found a good sie that explains why it is NOT acceptable to charge to NiMH in paralell.

[link=http://www.powerstream.com/NiMH.htm]Charging NiMH[/link]

I only have stock batteries in this thing w/o the series connector and I love this truck. I cannot wait to get it outside and see what it can do. I would be out with it already but I don't want to get it all dirty with mud and snow until I get my diffs checked out, and I am waiting for shims and diff fluid before I take it apart.

srt10 12-20-2009 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: bnt83

I found a good sie that explains why it is NOT acceptable to charge to NiMH in paralell.

[link=http://www.powerstream.com/NiMH.htm]Charging NiMH[/link]

I only have stock batteries in this thing w/o the series connector and I love this truck. I cannot wait to get it outside and see what it can do. I would be out with it already but I don't want to get it all dirty with mud and snow until I get my diffs checked out, and I am waiting for shims and diff fluid before I take it apart.
actualy it says it's difficult to charge Nimh packs in parallel
but if they are the same make and size of packs like two Traxxas packs of the same size the difficulties are much less when charging
I charge most on my Nimh stick packs in parallel and they work great! :D