RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/8846989-official-mini-e-revo-thread.html)

brianjskora 01-26-2010 06:59 AM

RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

sounds like what has happenned to me. Even though the rear diff where the driveshaft connected looked ok, the teeth were pretty worn on the dif and when i squeezed the two together it would still slip in forward, but not reverse. I guess I wore it down more going that way. I would recheck that. For me, it was just part number 7079. Good luck

J0EC00L 01-26-2010 08:53 AM

You may be absoulutely right, brian. I will re-check that part... just to be sure! Maybe the teeth are a bit bent towards one direction, and when i go in reverse, they catch properly; while going forward, they "slip".

Now i need to order another piece that can take days before i can run this car! aaagghhhhh!

goooosefrabba , goooosefrabba...

Joe

zxsonnyxz 01-26-2010 10:25 AM

I also had this slipping problem. I can't remember exactly how i fixed it but i did, and there was no need for new pars.

What ido remember isthat the bulkhead was a bit, not exactly splitted, but there wasa gap onthe bottom, and i thinki justmounted
itback in a different order somit would stay bettertogether. Like mounting theskid plate before mounting it all to the chassis or something.

This probably wasn't a great help, but you never know :)

mycarisaser 01-26-2010 10:58 AM

I blew out my rear diff doing backflips in the house. I am just surprised how long it took the abuse before it finally gave up. I couldnt keep a diff in my mini lsts just playing in the yard on flat ground. I got rid of the 5 that I had and kept the mini erevo(much better truck!)

J0EC00L 01-26-2010 12:48 PM

Yeah, when i cracked the rear diff carrier, i noticed that the two pieces weren't meshed tightly, resulting in what i assumed was the main cause for the gears to have caused the grinding/stripping sounds. I tried to keep the two pieces closely meshed when installing. I did not do the skid plate idea, though, i didn't think you could do that?

I went ahead and order the diff pieces and pinion gears to "cover" myself... maybe there is a youtube video explaining how to put the carriers back together???

This sucks... and i really want to give these road rage's a good run!

- Joe

zxsonnyxz 01-26-2010 01:10 PM

As i said i dont really remember, this was last summer/fall..
I did somethingand it worked, so I'm happy :P

You just have to look at it and try to figure it out, and i hope you do!</p>

piddlefoot 01-26-2010 05:10 PM

Next time you video jumps mate, have a think about the backround, we cant see the car properly, the blue sky is the best in the backround.
The height and distance are hard to see, and the car flipping, well l need glasses !
l like how you have your daughter trained, mine just sits on my trucks !

mycarisaser 01-26-2010 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: piddlefoot

Next time you video jumps mate, have a think about the backround, we cant see the car properly, the blue sky is the best in the backround.
The height and distance are hard to see, and the car flipping, well l need glasses !
l like how you have your daughter trained, mine just sits on my trucks !

Will do. The next ones will be better. She didnt know how to zoom in either. A little time and I think she will be the perfect video girl!!!!

J0EC00L 01-26-2010 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, atleast you have someone with a steady hand! I tried having the Frau take a video and even image stabilizing didn't help! Your little girl was able to shoot fairly steady video, so maybe a little time and you'll have the next "Penny Marshall!" - famous for directing hollywood movies

Ok, so in my earlier posts i mention the issue with the stripping noises coming from what appears to be the rear diff and the pinion gear on the drive shaft... only makes the sound forward, not in reverse.

I went ahead and broke the car back down - this time using a small power screwdriver (definitely worth every penny!!!) I wish i was able to take better pics, but unfortunately the camer died after a few photos, so i never could get a good clear pic without the focus being a bit off. I will post them anyways, but from the looks of it, the pieces appear to show some wear: the pinion shaft looks and feels a little worn, but then again, i still couldn't see any broken teeth and the pinion still turns the differential when i spin the shaft. I did try to spin it faster and listen for any sounds and was able to hear the stripping sound - unfortunately i cannot spin the shaft near as fast and steady as our brushless motors do so it's impossible to get the highspeed sounds it makes when i go forward.

I have posted the pics anywas, maybe one of you loyal few can point out some signs or indicators i need to look for when checking - though, it probably doesn't matter since i'm replacing the parts to be safe.

Again, the photos are not as clear as i would like them, and once the camera re-charges, i'll post some better ones with a cleaner focus.

brianjskora 01-26-2010 09:35 PM

joe, try holding both axles (coming out the side of the bulkhead) while turning the driveshaft. Do this in both directions. Mine didnt look worn at all really in my opinion, but when i held the two sides (like holding the wheels or a quick start) it would easily slip.

J0EC00L 01-26-2010 10:15 PM

Brian,

That's exactly what i did. If you spin one side only, they turn in opposite directions. Thus, i had the misses hold the carrier together for me and i spun both shafts simultaneously in both directions (back and forth) a few times. I could see it slipping some, though, it did still spin the diff inside the carrier - actually bulkhead - Traxxas official name for the piece.

I also spuns the wheels while the car was still together and got the stripping noise fairly well, but i needed to break it down to get a closer look and inspect the items.

we'll see how it all goes once the parts come in and i can put this back together.

By the way, has anyone upgraded to the 2.4GHz radio system yet? Is it worth the 100? Also, i read in an earlier post a couple weeks back that their is a castle ESC that is far better suited for our R/C than the stock one. Does anyone know which ESC they were referring to?

Thanks again

Joe

kustomAE 01-26-2010 11:45 PM

if any one at traxxas is on here please make a rear hub that works. after $100 in hubs in less than 24 hours that is insane learn to build a real rc

gforce2148 01-27-2010 09:11 AM

Joe,

I got the new Traxxas 2.4ghz Link radio a couple of weeks ago.  I paid like $90 on Ebay for a new one.  All I did was plug it in and it worked great!  Thought I'd have to program something or at least be more difficult to set up but it wasn't.  I definitely like it...no hassles with antennas or asking everyone at the track what frequency they are on.  Also the Link can have up to 20 different receivers that it remembers.  That is great if you have mulitple R/Cs, which I might get another receiver when I get my next R/C.

J0EC00L 01-27-2010 02:22 PM

i'm looking at getting one too. I wonder if a used one is just as good as new? I've seen a few used ones sell for around 60 or 70 and they come with the Transmitter and Reciever. I know a radio is the least of my worry at this time, especially since i don't even have a track to race this R/C on for the time being. Once i get my next duty station (Military) i know for sure there are some tracks in that location - Tampa Florida.

Right now, i need to get my car back to running properly - fixing this dang slipping problem!

Oh, by the way, i was told from a friend that the toyz has a chassis brace (currently sold out at the moment) that solves the issues we have with the chassis and/or bulkheads breaking from the stress we put the R/C's through. Traxxas makes a tough R/C, probably one of the best on the market; and because of that very reason i think we tend to put our cars through more strenuous situations knowing that they can survive. I would never have driven my Losi Mini T such as the same way i drive my Merv! But at any rate, i would still prefer to have added protection

- Joe

brianjskora 01-27-2010 03:56 PM

I've seen the chasis brace, That might be a good idea.

Traxxas has a power up program, http://www.traxxas.com/v2/powerup/model/?id=28which allows you to trade up to the 2.4. Probably have to wait a little while to send it, then get the new one, but if you break something and have downtime anyway, it may be the way to go.

I want 2.4 soon, just for less interference, and so I dont break my antenna!

jeppe317 01-27-2010 04:39 PM

theres an airtronics 2.4 for 100 bucks. im not sure of all the features but i know you can adjust the steering rate which the mini revo needs bad IMO. traxxas radios dont.

J0EC00L 01-27-2010 07:25 PM

Jeppes... How well does the airtronics work? I may look into that instead! I do like the 4ch upgrade traxxas offers for 75.00 though... allows for use to control additional things... maybe lights, maybe something else!

Is the airtronics 4 ch? i'll look into it and find out

Joe

J0EC00L 01-27-2010 07:36 PM

I found a few airtronics. The MX Sport 2.4 Ghz 3-ch and the DX Pro Skyion FM 3-ch. The DX pro is only around 45.00 shipped; while the MX is 100. There are a couple that are well over 200! Geeze!

Take a gander at these from cheapbay.

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AIRTRONICS-SKYION-DX-PRO-FM-3-Channel-Radio-Sys-CT_W0QQitemZ310196823631QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_C ontrol_Parts_Accessories?hash=item48392be64f]DX Pro[/link]

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Airtronics-Mx-Sport-2-4Ghz-FHSS-2-3CH-Radio-Tx-Rx_W0QQitemZ250570881913QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_C ontrol_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a57303b79]MX Sport[/link]

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Airtronics-M11-FHSS-2-2-4Ghz-Radio-System_W0QQitemZ230428270432QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRad io_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item35a6985f60]M11[/link]

z33guru 01-28-2010 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: jeppe317

theres an airtronics 2.4 for 100 bucks. im not sure of all the features but i know you can adjust the steering rate which the mini revo needs bad IMO. traxxas radios dont.
More than steering rate adjustments, what it really needs is some positive exponential to de-sensitize it around neutral. This helped alot on my dx3s. Ikeep the rate at 100 still, so I can still do good do-nuts if I'm in the mood.When I let other people drive it, Iusually cut the throttle travel down to about 50% to keep them in check lol.

jeppe317 01-28-2010 10:40 AM

the mx sport is the one i was looking at, im probably gonna pick it up sooner or later, still have some things to do to the mrevo.

anyone know how the spring colors work for this thing? im gonna order the gtr shocks and need a heavier spring than the red

SirTowly 01-28-2010 09:27 PM

I got my mini e-revo last week and i must say they areresilientlittle *******s. only thing ive managed to break is the servo (fromaccidentallydriving it off a flight of stairs backwards) that reverse is touchy. ive been running it in the snow with 2 stock batts in series and this thing RIPS! but its not fast enough! im looking to upgrade to Li-po's. so if anyone has links to some goodinexpensiveli-po's a charger, and a hightorquemetal gear servothat would be awesome! THANKS!

J0EC00L 01-28-2010 10:30 PM

I got some nice Turnigy Lipo's off ebay 7.4 2200mAh 25-30C (Pair was less than 50 shipped)

But Hobbycity.com has some deals too:

2s
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6541

3s
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=6307

Sometimes cheap bay is better and other times R/C websites host the better deals on the batteries; but, from what i can tell, Lipo's are getting much better as more companies compete for business, so you can expect to pay roughly the same across the board. Just try to avoid unknown China ones - they take forever to ship i've been told, and there's no guarantee! Turnigy guarantees their's from defects or malfunction as long as they are properly cared for.

As for charger: Clearly, for the budget, one of the best is the Thunder AC6 Smart Charger/Balancer! Can't go wrong with it!

http://www.nitrorcx.com/thac6smlibac.html <60 bucks!

There is also a youtube video on how to use it as well. It will charge/balance/discharge/storage all types of batteries: Lipo, Nihm, Lead!! It also comes with the power cord and built in power supply. It is simple as pie to use, and i truly love it!

Search these forums back around page 51 and 52. some great stuff on Lipo's posted in there!

JOECOOL

J0EC00L 01-28-2010 10:39 PM

Okay, so after reading back a few pages in our forums, i saw where one R/C user used shims in his differentials to mesh the gears up better and not strip as much on the Lipo's.

Anyone do this? If you did, how much of a challenge was it and what did you use to shimmy with?

I would also like to know if the alluminum skid plates underneath our MERVs are worth it? One user has them from front to back along with the alluminum skid guards for the servo. I think the servo guards may be worth the upgrade, but wouldn't all the alluminum skid plates underneath add too much weight, especially with the beadlocks on too? I am starting to think that 3S Lipo is the way to go to handle the extra weight? Does anyone run 3S Lipos Parallel? Can our ESC handle 3S in parallel... if so, what should be the max 3S i should go with in parallel to safely run my R/C all day on without the worry of overheat or need for LVC?

Sorry for 21 Questions... its late and i'm bored

JOE

SirTowly 01-28-2010 10:42 PM

cool thanks! would i be able to run either of those batteries in series? or would that be too much? and also it looks like i would need a adapter to run those where can i find that?

I would like to run 2http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8935in series. is this possible or what would need to be done for this to work?

also where can i get a good high torque metal geared servo?<br type="_moz" />

J0EC00L 01-28-2010 11:38 PM

U may want to run the lipos in parallel... Series is quite dangerous to the esc on lipos. If you want to run in series; don't go more than 2s on our stock esc. 2s in series is plenty of sppe

Joe