RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/8846989-official-mini-e-revo-thread.html)

J0EC00L 02-13-2010 02:08 PM

RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

And you don't think your neighbors think you're a little weird for driving your MERV in 16 degree weather??? I know my neighbors think I'm weird all the time, so I guess just go with it.

honda2237 02-13-2010 02:25 PM

well you do bring up a good point, but luckily they are old grouches, and don't talk to us.

Hey if you hear from toyz of when they get an order in will you please let me know.

tylerjackson 02-13-2010 02:40 PM

I just placed a order at the toyz last night, couldnt wait any longer.

J0EC00L 02-13-2010 02:51 PM

Yeah no problem. I'm waiting on roll cage, Baja beetle body, and a few other odds and ends that are out of stock. I thought about getti g the hex adapters/converters for LST rims and tires. I read somewhere that the options in that type of rim/tire combo are limitless!!! Plus, many websites and LHS have plenty of LST products.

One last note: you can choose to have thetoyz notify you via email when they get more items in stock. When you are on the web site, choose the actual part you want, and instead of buying it now, select the notify block and they will notify you when they get that partcular part in stock. I think that is an excellent feature.

Joe

J0EC00L 02-13-2010 02:53 PM

Hey I have a questionto those who have added shims to their diffs. Does it work as it's supposed to? If so, do you still experience cocking sounds, or, has it eliminated all of that garbage completely? I'd also like to know how ling it's worked for you and if you have had to replace diffs even after the fact.

Thanks

Joe

brianjskora 02-13-2010 04:12 PM

My buddy got a new revo vxl a couple months after me... His receiver box has a little circle on the top, and his front bulkhead has a screw going sideways in it (pulling it together) Mine doesnt have either of these. I like the screw, but I wonder what the thing on the receiver box is?</p>

honda2237 02-13-2010 05:56 PM

joe, i completely forgot about that feature, ya i will use that. Has anyone used the anti-rollover antenna by the toyz? How easy do they break?

J0EC00L 02-13-2010 09:34 PM

The roll over antenna is supposed to do what it says... "right" the rc back on it's fours. I watched video by squirrel on YouTube, part of the 3 mini series on essential MERV upgrades. Fro
the video, it looks like it does it's job. I am looking to vet one too, but I want to wait and do a full order.

gforce2148 02-13-2010 11:55 PM

Well after getting the wrong 19T pinion in the mail (it had the wrong shaft diameter), I finally got the right one for my Merv.  I installed it yesterday with the stock spur gear to test with my Pro-line Dirt Hawg tires on beadlock wheels.  Now I am just waiting for some better weather to take it out.  This should resolve any heat isssues I was getting running the larger tires with the stock pinion and give my Merv more low-end torque for the R/C track.  Once I know I will post my results.  I am also going to test some other gear ratios.

Topplayer 02-14-2010 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Hey I have a questionto those who have added shims to their diffs. Does it work as it's supposed to? If so, do you still experience cocking sounds, or, has it eliminated all of that garbage completely? I'd also like to know how ling it's worked for you and if you have had to replace diffs even after the fact.

Thanks

Joe
more info on this? mine is clicking too. I would like to fix it too, once and for all lol.

I want the anit roll over antena too!

honda2237 02-14-2010 12:58 PM

if it is clicking there is nothing you can do, if they are new parts then you can shim it but i haven't tried it.

I am ordering in the next few days from hobbycity, i'm getting another charger, 2 3s 1800 lipos and some parellel connectors. and when the toyz gets some stuff in, im going to order some upgrades from them.

draven 02-14-2010 01:38 PM

Yeah I ordered the anti-rollover antenna from the toyz and it worked pretty good while it lasted. The only thing is that it only lasted like 2 days. Its made out of fiberglass and it just cant hold up to a hit very well. Mine broke during about a 25 mph rollover. Also if you get one you will have to modify the hole in your body cause it doesn't exactly line up straight.

draven 02-14-2010 01:41 PM

Hey I'm still looking for a new motor for my MERV. Any out there have any suggestions? Right now I'm considering the Novak Three 80 set up. Not really sure if the motor is going to give me the power I'm looking for though. I've gotta do something soon though cause its driving me nuts no being able to take the car out.

honda2237 02-14-2010 01:50 PM

ow ya thats what i wondered, i will still try it.

I hate novak, never had any luck with them. Long story short, i spent around $300 for their monster truck speed controll and motor, I ran it foramonthand within the first week, the magnet broke off the rotor. Then in about 3 weeks, the motor shorted out and they said it was do to water, WHEN we didn't have rained for 2 weeks and everything was a dust bowl, seriously at some points i couldn't see my truck, so they wanted me to pay another $200 to get it replaced, and i argued with them for about an hour and got it down to $130, I got the replacement and sold it for less money then i bought it for, so i will never own a novak motor again, plus they are way to picky.

If i was you, i would get another traxxas or mamba motor. I had one problem with mamba and that was because i shorted the motor from running it in the winter and they still replaced it for free, and their motors are better designed. The mamba tech people were helping me on gearing and they said when you first get the motor, do an run it really hard but temp is every so often and if it doesn't get over the temp then your fine.

bluesrt4ever 02-14-2010 03:43 PM

Hey, I run 23T pinion with proline beadlocks and have no heat problems, the motor and esc feel to the touch the same as my wifes stock setup truck after racing. I did drill a lot of small holes in the windshield. After installing new diff gears with 100k lube and two shim rings i have NO clicking from the rear diff. I am going to try a 19t just for faster accelaration.

Topplayer 02-14-2010 04:36 PM

I just ordered some goodies form the toys! and im thinking of getting beadlocs with dirthawgs, is it worth getting the rims and tires or going with the up grade to lippos? the two stock batteries with a parallel connter is fast enough for me. Id only get lippos for run time.

also what do i order to shim the diffs?  is it worth it?

bluesrt4ever 02-14-2010 06:40 PM

http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...&cat_name=MINI 1/16 REVO

Thats the shims you need. They fit nice. IMO i'd only shim if the truck wont work anymore and only if you get new gears. Shimming might help with old wore out diff gears but i think its a wast of time to shim when the truck still works. If your truck is clicking really bad and you do get the beadlock wheels then it will most likely strip the diff gears, so get the diff parts if you get the wheels because it will strip in the near future. I did some huge jumps like ten feet high 20 ' long when it was stock and after a few landings doing this i got the clicking. I thought it was just the motor and pinion comming a little loose because it sounds just the same a the rear diff click. Well it was the rear diff and i drove it for a long time with stock wheels with it clicking untill i got the beadlocks and they finished the diff off real fast. The wheels are nice and worth the money imo, they will not slip and you dont have to worry about the glue issue. Down side to the wheels is the weight and its hard on stock parts. Read some of my older post to see more about diffs and beadlocks.

honda2237 02-15-2010 08:02 AM

so a little update, after hitting the tree and putting the driveshaft back together, i decided last night i was going to drive it, but figured out that my receiver is fried. It works for the first 30 seconds then the car stops and turns the wheels and sits with no response to any inputs, so i opened the receiver box and found water in there, so i am going to give traxxas a call since my car is like 2 weeks old.[:@] if not then my order from toyz will be postponed and i am getting a new radio.

z33guru 02-15-2010 08:28 AM

It looks like there are alot of good bl motors for the E-revo to choose from. I myself have had nothing but good luck with novak. Love the no cogging vs the stock system.

honda2237 02-15-2010 08:32 AM

it could be just the monster truck system, but i never had a cogging problem with mambas systems. mamba systems are bulletproof.

honda2237 02-15-2010 09:46 AM

I just got off the phone with traxxas and they are sending me a new seal kit and receiver, i love traxxas tech support, they are hands down the best. So i will still be placing an order with the toyz, well when ever they get their stuff in.

gforce2148 02-15-2010 01:33 PM

I was running the stock 28T pinion with the Dirt Hawg tires and my ESCcutoff after it overheated. I don't have the 23T but bought a 19T after reading someone else's post. I might have to try the 23T later as well. Granted when mine overheated the conditions on the track werewet and the tires caked up with dirt adding some weight. It didn't overheat until the end of my battery cycle. But Iwas looking to gear it down as I never hit full throttle while on the R/C track, so could use more on the low-end. I've also added vent holes in the hood and the rear window for added air-flow and a motor heatsink.

Topplayer 02-15-2010 08:14 PM

I was going to make the move to lipo today, but two of the items you guys recommended was out of stock (the charger and the power supply). Do you think an extra 15 for the charger from the usa warehouse<span class="headingb"> is worth it?

USA
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7373

Hong Kong I guess lol
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7028

also it says the non usa one comes with </span><span class="headingb">accessories, does the usa come with them too? (its not listed)
</span>

csp1971 02-15-2010 08:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Topplayer

I was going to make the move to lipo today, but two of the items you guys recommended was out of stock (the charger and the power supply). Do you think an extra 15 for the charger from the usa warehouse<span class=''headingb''> is worth it?

USA
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7373

Hong Kong I guess lol
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7028

also it says the non usa one comes with </span><span class=''headingb''>accessories, does the usa come with them too? (its not listed)
</span>

If you order from Hong Kong, you'll pay about 15 bucks for shipping. I always order from Hong Kong because they have the stuff in normally and I don't mind waiting about 10-14 days for shipping. Usually you can pay a bit more for faster shipping (5 days or so). Set up an account so when you log in, you'll get the lowest price when you add an item to your cart.

Topplayer 02-15-2010 08:43 PM

if i go usa will i be missing out of the "accessories" ?