RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   1/36 losi debate (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/9190422-1-36-losi-debate.html)

kzimmerman 10-21-2009 07:56 AM

1/36 losi debate

I'm thinking of getting a couple of the losi micro's, but having a hard time deciding which to get. The goal is eventual upgrade to brushless and lipo. I have a dirt track that we run nitro rustlers on, they will porbably see some time on that, but I'll bet not much. I was gonna also build an indoor track for the winter and rainy day's. I want to get two identical trucks, one for me, one for my soon to be 5 yr old. I was looking at the stadium truck, but wanted some input from you guy's with experience. Which truck handles the best? I don't want to be chasing them every 2 seconds because of flip overs, and I also want one that is fairly durable. Speed is not really an issue, although I don't want a crawler. Any thoughts?

luvdisstuff 10-21-2009 01:16 PM

RE: 1/36 losi debate

If you need to get one get the dt although I have never tried the high roller. The dt is more stable cause its a little longer. They are a pain to work on though.

mxracer154 10-21-2009 02:43 PM

Yeah i would vote on the micro dt, i to am planning on buying one of these trucks this winter for some fun bashing :D Had a regular micro t when the first came out a while ago but sold due to getting out of the hobby. But im back at it again!

kzimmerman 10-22-2009 09:44 AM

I've been looking around, and the only problem I see is the cheap electronics that come with the losi's. Is there any micros out there that have real hobby quality receivers and esc's? I don't want something that has an integrated esc and receiver, as that limits hop up parts quite a bit. Yes, I know that you can get them for the losi's, but I don't want to have to invest almost as much as the car was originally worth just to be able to upgrade it.

Cheap Guy 10-22-2009 08:01 PM

I would definitely get the DT over the regular Micro. The DT give you a larger selection of batteries; the Micro T's battery compartment is tight even with the stock battery. Heck, you can even do this if you want a l-a-r-g-e battery:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...g/IMG_4623.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...g/IMG_4601.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...g/IMG_4594.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...g/IMG_4596.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...g/IMG_4597.jpg

kzimmerman 10-23-2009 07:27 AM

Well, the debates over. I went into a lhs, and they had a mini-t on sale for $30. It was new, but the original owner had started to do a servo upgrade and got confused with the 4 wire servo. So all's I have to do is put it back together again. I even get a servo for when I decide to go brushless. Good deal.

luvdisstuff 10-23-2009 07:44 AM

Good deal dude but the dt is still better.

ekimusman2 10-25-2009 09:59 PM

i have both a micro DT and a micro T. i enjoy my micro t more for some reason. then again, my DT is brushless and way too fast to drive casually and the micro t just has a BB motor and a lipo (best setup imo)

luvdisstuff 10-26-2009 07:20 AM

There are only 2 mods that are really neccesary. The very first is to get threaded axles. Those little e-clips bite. Metal bearings all around is also a cheap easy mod that will improve your car.If you have extra cash a lipo battery and an atomic bb motor are both pretty cheap. But the threaded axles are a MUST. I still hate those stinkin tiny e-clips. Enjoy your new micro-rig

BKoz559 10-27-2009 10:19 PM

I've had my Micro T for a couple of months now and am having a blast with it. My only mod is a set of ball bearings. I am beginning to realize what you guys are talking about when you say swap out to the threaded axles; the E-clips require patience and some spare clips since you're eventually going to loose some in the carpet. Good luck finding them.

I can't complain about the speed with the stock motor and NiMh battery. I can see the speed potential with the right hopup's but that almost takes away from it's capabilities. It's plenty fast enough to zip around my house and smash into the coffee table then into the wall and finally get stuck under the sofa. If I want to go fast, I bring out my brushless RC10 B4 and run outside in the street.

I think "luv" is right about upgrading motor (probably my next hopup) and bearings. I'm not sure a LiPo is for everyone as I'm not convinced it offers enough of a performance boost to justify the price. Unless ofcourse you're looking for the most output possible with a brushless system. The NiMh IMO lasts long enough to be fun.

DT would probably be a good overall choice. I went with a T because I found it used on Craigslist and it came with a Mini T minus a battery. It was almost too good to be true.

luvdisstuff 10-28-2009 06:42 AM

Hey nut howya doin? I got a mini-t too because I got it so cheap i coulnt pass it up. The threaded axles are a MUST on this little rig. I wont say any more about those stinkin e-clips. The atomic bb motor is real cheap and really does not over power the thing. It just goes a little quicker not like installing a bl system which I also think is to much for this car. As you said if you want to go fast go outside with a bigger rig

kzimmerman 10-28-2009 08:04 AM

I was actually thinking of rewinding some of the 300 size cans I've got laying around. Probably a 12.5t or so. I might get into that tonight, will let you all know how it goes. Might have to figure out a way of upgrading the brushes though.

cobra26 10-28-2009 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: drumin_nut

I've had my Micro T for a couple of months now and... The NiMh IMO lasts long enough to be fun.

Hey nut,

How long a run do you get (on average) on that NiMh?

studysession 10-28-2009 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: luvdisstuff

The atomic bb motor is real cheap and really does not over power the thing.
Do you have a link?

luvdisstuff 10-29-2009 07:40 AM

Im not sure how to post a link but go to atomicmods.com and do a search for the atomic bb. It costs about 15.00 and it is a good mod for the micro cause it speeds it up some but not so much that you cant really drive it. Sorry i coul'nt give you the direct link but let me know if you have a problem finding it.

kzimmerman 10-30-2009 07:55 AM

http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/A...or__13283.aspx

Is this it?

or this?
http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/A...II__14548.aspx

Both are out of stock, but sould be coming up soon I would imagine.

luvdisstuff 10-30-2009 02:08 PM

Yep, Their the ones. I would suggest you get the atomic bb 2 it has air vents.

BKoz559 11-03-2009 01:44 AM

ORIGINAL: cobra26

ORIGINAL: drumin_nut

I've had my Micro T for a couple of months now and... The NiMh IMO lasts long enough to be fun.

Hey nut,

How long a run do you get (on average) on that NiMh?

It progressivley got longer to the current run time of 6-10 minutes. It varies of course depending on if I'm running wide open in the street or if I'm chasing our daschund in the house. She has a "love / hate" relationship with my Micro as she barks and nips at the tires. Sometimes she'll carry it away in her mouth. LOL!

Anyhow, back to the subject matter. My first run times were kinda low, definately less than 5 minutes. I think my Losi charger may have a problem (I bought it second hand) and wouldn't completely charge the battery. Plus, I'm sure it was sitting unused for a while which couldn't have been great for the battery. So, I removed the charge lead from the circuit board and soldered it to the back of a Deans plug to make an adapter for my Checkpoint TC-1030. With this charger I can customize the charge settings and cycle the battery. After a couple of charges and runs in the house, I noticed a boost in output and longer runtimes. I couldn't pop wheelies at first with the Losi charger, but after charging with the 1030 I can wheelie across the house.

As with most batteries, I think a quality charger can make a big difference in performance. Plus I didn't want to have to replace AA's in the Losi charger all the time.

kzimmerman 11-04-2009 09:01 AM

For those of you who own a 1/36, how well do they handle carpet? I was told at one lhs that they can't, and another raved about them. neither one had any in stock. I'm not too worried about the wrenching part of them, I can handle working on small parts, been doing it for a long time. (ever tried rebuilding a pico-z?) I just want something my son can run around the house, and I think that the mini-t might be a bit fast for that. Of course, I've considered putting a 4 cell in her, or maybe a 1s lipo, that would reduce speed, and I also considered rebuilding one of his little newbright, but that would be a very in depth project. I might do that anyway, and document the process on here for you all.

mini-dude 11-04-2009 09:37 AM

ORIGINAL: kzimmerman

For those of you who own a 1/36, how well do they handle carpet?

Smooth, short-napped carpet, FINE - shag carpet,NOTSOGOOD!

BKoz559 11-04-2009 09:24 PM

The shorter the carpet, the better.

Watch out for area rugs with tassles at the ends, they literally reach out at your micro and wrap themselves in your axles!

Most "medium" textured carpets should be fine, however, you'll notice that fibers still wind around the dog bones.

kzimmerman 11-05-2009 08:31 AM

Good enough. I think these might be some christmas presents around my house. My son, he's almost 5, can't get enough of rc stuff. He's got a couple new bright junkers, a nitro rustler, a mini-t, several aerohogs heli's and planes, a coroplast cub, a 40 size seaplane, a butterfly, and a cessna 182. The weekends I have him are nothing but rc and the occasional bikeride or fishing trip. Good stuff.
Drummin nut, what kind of gear you got? I'm a music teacher, and majored in percussion. Tama 7 piece, double kick, and a truckload of sabian and zildjian cymbals.

luvdisstuff 11-05-2009 03:02 PM

micr e-clips suuuuuuuuukkkkkkkkkkkkk. i still resent losi for putting them on instead of threade axles than they come out with the axles so you need to spend more money. im sick of being losi's r&d department. that being said i do like the desert buggy and i may p/u the micro crawler to learn crawling. it might be fun to crawl around the house.

BKoz559 11-05-2009 07:59 PM

Hey Zimmerman, I never had formal training but I was giving private lessons for a while. Those were the good old days. I favor Tama gear as well. All my hardware is Tama, as well as my toms (Starclassic Performer), and Iron Cobra pedals. Snare is Pearl brass floating shell mounted on a Tama Air-Ride stand. I only play a 4 piece setup (jazz style) with all Sabian AAX cymbals. I made my bass drum with a Keller maple 24 (length) x 22 (diameter) shell with the hardware from the original Tama Starclassic. I wish I had photos of it since I wrapped all the shells with Rockin' Wraps material. That bass draws attention when it was on stage. Sadly it's been packed away in the closet for the last couple of years as I don't have the time, or enough room to set it up. :(