RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   1/18th Rally Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/9652128-1-18th-rally-cars.html)

MR.FEESH 04-10-2010 11:35 PM

1/18th Rally Cars

Hey all

So I've been thinking of looking into 1/18th scale rally cars. The two that I was able to find easily are the DuraTrax Vendetta, and the Associated RC18R. If there are any other 1/18th scale rc rally cars (as opposed to trucks, stadium trucks, monster trucks etc), please include them in your replies!

First of all, I know that at 1/18th scale, these cars are barely going to hold their own outside. I'm not looking to use these "rally" cars as people do 1/10th size rally cars. I'm not really planning on taking these to a dirt track, or using them on gravel. At the most, non-brand-new pavement will be the roughest terrain lol. In alllikelihood, I'd just use these for simple indoor bashing driving that's a little more fun and rough than the way I drive my hpi micro rs4. I'm just looking to have a little morerecklessfun at the same scale as the MRS4 which has proved to be a great size for indoor fun. I know about the Mini-T and some other more truck-like RC 1/18th scale models, but I'm looking more for something like the on-raod cars, just with some nice tires and a good amount of ground clearance.

So I was curious, what are the general thoughts on these two cars (or the other that may exist)? They both come RTR, but the DuraTrax is the more expensive of the two and surprisingly requires a battery&charger. I'd be willing to bet that the option parts/upgrades would be more plentiful and accessible for the RC18R, simply because Associated is a fairly respected brand in the RC industry can anyone confirm this? The RC18R seems like it would be a blast there are a ton of cool videos of moded-out ones on youtube.

So let's hear it. Your take on 1/18th Rally cars. Good amount of option parts available? Thanks for reading!

Elby<br type="_moz" />

MR.FEESH 04-11-2010 01:24 AM

RE: 1/18th Rally Cars

Did a little more research...looks like the RC18R is the better way to go...  I can get a gear cover and apparently slap some 1/10th size wheels/tires on it if I ever want to drive on rougher terrain.  <div>Thoughts?  Or any other 1/18th size rally models to look into?</div>

DettaSCT 04-11-2010 09:35 AM

The 1/18th scale rally options are few, and you found them both.

Having owned both, the RC18R and the Vendetta Rally, I will start by suggesting that a lot of your decision should be based (as with any RC) on where you plan on purchasing replacement/upgrade/repair parts. If you have a local hobby shop, it might be best to limit your choice to what manufacturer (Associated or Duratrax) they carry if for no other reason than ordering parts.
But if you plan on ordering online, then it doesn't really matter as parts are readily available for both through TowerHobbies, eBay, or any number of online retailers.

My experience has been that the Vendetta models are much more durable and can take more of a beating than the Associated models.
There are a few more upgrades available for the 18R, not enough to matter, but literally none of them from Associated while Duratrax carries all of the mods for the Detta Rally.

Out of the box, I will just say that all RTRs have their shortcomings and issues. The best thing to do in my experience is to replace/upgrade as needed/wanted.
The price difference between the two is likely due to the fact that the RC18R has been out a couple of years, at least, while the Detta Rally has only been out a few months.
One particular advantage the Detta Rally has is an included 2.4gHz radio, while the RC18R comes with their cheap FM unit that people despise.
Another advantage of the RTR Detta Rally is that it comes with a modified VR3 motor, and as a result the Duratrax offering will run rings around any stock RC18R.
I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact that the Detta Rally doesn't come with a battery or charger, the wall chargers are crap and take forever to charge (overnight) and the stock battery packs in most RCs are one of the first things replaced or upgraded. At least Duratrax is no longer fooling people into thinking they're getting something (that's junk) for nothing. Buy a good "fast" charger and some quality battery packs and you will be better off, regardless of what rally you choose.
The Detta Rally also comes with a gear cover, so no need to buy one as with the 18R, and the gearmesh is easier to get right on the Detta and not nearly as problematic as the RC18.
Neither vehicle has more tire options available, as the Vendetta Rally was designed to accept any 18R tire/wheel combo.

Overall, my experience has been that the Vendetta Rally is a little wider and thus a more stable platform, and if I had to do it all over again I'd buy the Vendetta Rally instead (the first time, any time) of the 18R as it's proven itself to be better overall on the track and off.

http://duratrax.com/cars/dtxd16-vend...lly/index.html

rschoi_75 04-11-2010 12:32 PM

I agree with dettaSCT. You'll probably have a better time with the detta rally over the associated. The detta does track better and is very durable. My only problem with the detta rally is that the body is ugly as sin! I swear it reminds me of a moving egg. But that's just me... :)

MR.FEESH 04-11-2010 02:03 PM

Well I do like a lot of the aspects of the Rally over the RC18R. It looks as if I'd have to do fewerafter-marketupgrades because the stock model comes with adjustable shocks and a gear cover and a wider stance. So maybe it'll be worth spending more money up-front, as opposed to upgrading the RC18R later? <div></div><div>Neither of the models have knobby tires...but at least the Rally takes the same type as the RC18R so tracking down some better off-road tires might still be possible.</div><div></div><div>So I had a few questions...probably geared toward DettaSTC...</div><div>1) What is ground clearance like on the two models?</div><div></div><div>2) When I was looking into knobby tires for the RC18R, I stumbled upon one youtube video with propulse rubbed tires on an RC18R. A subsequent search also lead to this megatech page of tires for propulse:</div><div>http://www.megatech.com/Pro-Pulse-parts.php</div><div>Any idea if these will fit on RC18R/Rally rims, or if the propulse rims and any of these tires would attach to the Rally chassis?</div><div></div><div>3) Inresponseto Rschoi's comment, would the RC18R bodies fit on the Rally chassis? It looks like the Rally is something more like 160mm wide and the RC18R is more like 140mm-150mm, so maybe with a few wheel-well cuts?</div><div></div><div>4) For the Rally batteries....does it take them all in a line like this =&gt; IIIIII or === or does is require the Micro RS4 style battery set-up (configured like this onehttp://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXTYW6&amp;P=0) ? Also, what size cells should be used?</div><div></div><div></div><div></div><div>Thanks guys!</div>

DettaSCT 04-11-2010 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: rschoi_75

I agree with dettaSCT. You'll probably have a better time with the detta rally over the associated. The detta does track better and is very durable. My only problem with the detta rally is that the body is ugly as sin! I swear it reminds me of a moving egg. But that's just me... :)
:D Seems that all the rally body are butt-ugly, but it also seems they are mimicking most of the 1:1 rally cars which lack any personality.

DettaSCT 04-11-2010 02:30 PM

FEESH

Neither have nobby tires, but I thought you weren't going to be running it in the dirt?

The new Associated SC18 has knobby/pinspike style tires, so when they become available they should fit. Otherwise I am not aware of anything that will.

The ground clearance on either of these isn't going to be much, they are pretty low slung and have very small wheels and tires.

Tires for the RC18T or RC18B, or the megatech, will not fit on either car. They are 1/2 again taller and wider. You'd have to change the axle stubs, and really mess up the body hacking out enough room in the wheelwells to make them fit. Not really worth doing in my opinion, as I tried it when the 18R came out and it made the car look horrible.

Any body that is designed to fit the RC18R will also fit the Vendetta Rally. ;)
I have been running the Exotek GTZ-R RC18R body on my Detta, no issues. I also have an RJSpeed Mustang body that fits as well.

The RC18R uses what's called a "side-by-side" pack, batteries set up like this >
I I I I I I
The Vendetta Rally uses what's called a "shot-gun" pack, batteries set up like this >
II
II
II
So no odd-sized packs for either like what are used in MRS4 or Mini-T, but instead more normal style stick-type packs.
If you are going to use standard NiMH type batteries, they use 2/3a sized cells.
Personally, what I use are LiPO packs. More efficient, more consistent performance, longer runtimes.

MR.FEESH 04-11-2010 02:52 PM

I probably wont be running them on dirt, but the appeal of a tires with a little more grip is hard to resist...the stock tires that both the RC18R and the Rally come with might was well be foam or slick rubber lol.  Putting SC18 tires on either of the two models I'm considering sounds like it'd be a fun little project!<div>
</div><div>The body compatibility sounds good for whichever way I go.  In general, the bodies for the 1/18th rallies look ridiculous because of the proportions, but the Citroen WRC body that comes with one of the RC18R  s seems to be closest to looking almost realistic.  I'll probably use the Citroen shell on whichever model I end up going with.</div><div>
</div><div>Hmmm.  Well I'm still not 100% sold one way or another.  Hmmm let's see.</div><div>
</div><div>Oh...motor and electronics options as far as upgrading goes on the RC18R or Rally.  Good, bad?  If I'm not mistaken, one comes with a 370 and the other a 380 motor.  Do the set-ups make it easy on both models to slap on a 1/18th brushless motor and its electronics?  Aren't a lot of micro brushless motors more like 300 size?  If so then would a smaller brushless motor fit in both on both of the cars' mounts?
<div>
</div><div>
</div></div>

DettaSCT 04-11-2010 03:08 PM

I have one Detta Rally that I run primarily on-road, and when the spiked SC18 tires become available I plan on picking up another to run rally-style (mix of off- and on-road with dusty sections and the odd jump thrown in).

As far as rally-specific bodies, I am of the opinion that the Citroen WRC is a oddly bulbous and funny looking as the stock Detta Rally body. They both look bad. LOL If I was to get another, I might try the Kamino (subaru wrc copy).

ORIGINAL: MR.FEESH
Oh...motor and electronics options as far as upgrading goes on the RC18R or Rally. Good, bad? If I'm not mistaken, one comes with a 370 and the other a 380 motor. Do the set-ups make it easy on both models to slap on a 1/18th brushless motor and its electronics? Aren't a lot of micro brushless motors more like 300 size? If so then would a smaller brushless motor fit in both on both of the cars' mounts?
<div>
</div><div>
</div></div>

By far the best small BL system I've used, period without a doubt, is the Novak Mongoose and it will bolt in either car. For the Rally, and their smaller tires, I would suggest the 13.5 option. They can be had for about $90 through TowerHobbies.
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...cro/index.html

MR.FEESH 04-11-2010 03:19 PM

Yeah I've looked into getting the mongoose for my MRS4...it has a great reputation....glad to hear it will drop into either car.<div>
</div><div>Well I can't thank you enough for your help!  I should have all the info I need for selecting one of these vehicles...I don't think I'm going to post which one I'm leaning towards because at this point it has to do with personal preference.  Maybe I'll just re-post once I have one of the models with a battery and all the upgrades I want already put to work.</div><div>
</div><div>Thanks so much!</div>

DettaSCT 04-11-2010 03:26 PM

Yeah I've looked into getting the mongoose for my MRS4...it has a great reputation....glad to hear it will drop into either car.
The 'Goose is WAY too much motor for your MRS4, you need one of the smaller set-ups like the Tekin MiniRage or CC Mini Mamba with a lower kv-rating around 4000 to be driveable.

Well I can't thank you enough for your help! I should have all the info I need for selecting one of these vehicles...I don't think I'm going to post which one I'm leaning towards because at this point it has to do with personal preference. Maybe I'll just re-post once I have one of the models with a battery and all the upgrades I want already put to work.</div><div>
</div><div>Thanks so much!</div>
ROFLOL, that just suggests you're leaning toward the RC18R.
We'll expect your re-posts once you have to start dealing with their various issues and inherent problems. :D
I'll try and resist the urge to say "I told you so."

MR.FEESH 04-11-2010 03:33 PM

Hahah, nah man...just means I'm largely undecided.  Like I said...once I have my set-up...I'll show my face again lol

DettaSCT 04-11-2010 03:39 PM

I will just call you MR.chickenFEESH :D lol

MR.FEESH 04-11-2010 03:43 PM

lol well I guarantee whichever way I go, my rig will be BA, so I'll be open to any and all race challenges :)

DettaSCT 04-11-2010 03:50 PM

lol

(word of advice to any rookie-racers,
"Never talk big, because the old/experienced guy is more likely than you to reach into his pitbox and pull out a BIGGER motor") ;) :D

MR.FEESH 04-11-2010 04:16 PM

Yeah...probably...ahah

MR.FEESH 04-11-2010 09:02 PM

ahhhh I don't know what to doooooooooo<div>
</div>

cumquat 04-12-2010 12:29 AM

i would go with the vendetta.it costs more but at very least it comes with a 2.4 gig radio.

cumquat 04-12-2010 12:33 AM

oh, and on tower they say it has a little under a half inch of of ride, where as thay dont have a ride hight for the rc18. a 1/10 scale tc like the hpi nitro rs4 3 evo has a little over a
1/4 inch of ride.

DettaSCT 04-12-2010 09:14 AM

ahhhh I don't know what to doooooooooo<div>
</div>
If it is that much of a dilemna I would suggest not getting anything, as it shouldn't be that hard of a decision. ;):D

5 Volt Detonator Robert 04-12-2010 09:26 AM

I been lurking here a few days.  I really like the Idea of a rally car.  I hadn't seen the Detta in the hobby stores.  Thought of getting a TA.  Now I am leaning more towards the Detta. I don't think it's ugly.  Rally racing really does it for me- not sure why I just love it.

Anyone got any video of there Detta or TA racing?  Sure I could look throught youtube but I probly get lost and start wating something else- lol

DettaSCT 04-12-2010 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: 5 Volt Detonator Robert
Anyone got any video of there Detta or TA racing? Sure I could look throught youtube but I probly get lost and start wating something else- lol
http://duratrax.com/cars/dtxd16-vend...6-gallery.html

So you want others to look for you?

Read this somewhere the other day.
~ "If someone can't find something using Google, or YouTube, they might consider that being on the Internet is too much for them to begin with." ;)

MR.FEESH 04-12-2010 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: DettaSCT

ahhhh I don't know what to doooooooooo<div></div>
If it is that much of a dilemna I would suggest not getting anything, as it shouldn't be that hard of a decision. ;):D

It sounds horrible, but that's precisely what I intend on doing. I'll be going with a 1/10th size rally so that I can run it in dirt and gravel...they look more realistic anyway lol.

That's not to say I'll never get a 1/18th rally though. Actually, I'll probably get one immediately after I finish my 1/10th rally build because I'll want to take the fun indoors once the sun goes down or I'm out of battery.

And, for the record, I was and am still leaning heavily toward the DuraTrax Vendetta for the adjustable shocks and wider/more spacious chassis. You've sold me on it.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

DettaSCT 04-12-2010 12:43 PM

It sounds horrible, but that's precisely what I intend on doing. I'll be going with a 1/10th size rally so that I can run it in dirt and gravel...they look more realistic anyway lol.

That's not to say I'll never get a 1/18th rally though. Actually, I'll probably get one immediately after I finish my 1/10th rally build because I'll want to take the fun indoors once the sun goes down or I'm out of battery.

And, for the record, I was and am still leaning heavily toward the DuraTrax Vendetta for the adjustable shocks and wider/more spacious chassis. You've sold me on it.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9...lseyes2fm9.gif

"actually"
"probably"

It's no wonder people seldom respond to these threads, they are a waste of time, and I got sucked into this one. http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/168...burningman.gif

MR.FEESH 04-12-2010 01:04 PM

Haha nah man. I just wanted some clarification on the differences between the Vendetta and the RC18Rwhich you gave splendidly. It just so happens that in the process, I realized I'd rather have the challenge of building a kit, and decided I may indeed want to be rough with it outdoors. So I'm going with 1/10th for a summer project while it's nice to be outside.
Like I said, I'm going to end up with a Vendetta for indoors use it'll most likely just replace my MRS4 all together. I'll PM you with pics of my Vendetta set-up when I have it to prove it wasn't a wast of your time lol

ORIGINAL: DettaSCT

And, for the record, I was and am still leaning heavily toward the DuraTrax Vendetta for the adjustable shocks and wider/more spacious chassis. You've sold me on it.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9...lseyes2fm9.gif

"actually"
"probably"

It's no wonder people seldom respond to these threads, they are a waste of time, and I got sucked into this one. http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/168...burningman.gif

<br type="_moz" />