Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Servo's for 1/2A Mustang

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Servo's for 1/2A Mustang

Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 AM
ocelot31454

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo's for 1/2A Mustang

I am installing Retracts in a 1/2A P-51 Mustang. I found the retracts but cant seem to find the servo. It's my understanding that a standard servo won't or doesn't work well, but I can't tell the differance in retracs by their numbers. Can anyone explain the differance and tell me wher to find them?
Thanks

Old 02-11-2011, 06:57 AM
batdog
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Servo's for 1/2A Mustang

ocelot . I am very interested in this 1/2 A scale and wanted more info on the p-51 mustang your building. Is this scratch or kit? Can you point me in the right direction for this scale .
Old 02-11-2011, 10:30 AM
ocelot31454

It is an old Royal kit that a friend bought in 94. He started it but got rhumetoid arthrits and couldn't finish it so he gave it to me. the box says it's 1/2A. I asked around r/c univ and was told that based on it's 36" wing span it's 1/12th scale. The plans show the installation option for retracts but I don't have the complete set of plans so I don't have anything that recommends anything.
As I said my friend had started assemby but a lot of it was wrong so I had to take everything apart, make some replacement parts and start the assy over. I have modified it so the rudder and engine areservo controled. The Wing is 36" tip to tip. The fuselage is 26 1/2 from the front of the cowl to the trailing edge of the rudder. The wing is 1-1 1/8' thick where the landing gear/re-tracts are to be mounted.
Because I had to re-inforce both the wing and fuselage when I re-built them she weigh's just over 2lbs. According to Robart, the two choices for retracts are the 123 and the 600 but Robart doesn't make any suggestion as to the servo.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:04 PM
ffkiwi

2lbs is horrendously heavy for a 1/2A model-I would be seriously considering putting a 10 or 15 in it at that size and weight-something like an ASP 12 or 15 (which share the same crankcase) which are quite light and compact for their displacement [120g in std form, 146 with R/C carb, and 182.5 with muffler and R/C carb] [these figures measured on a couple of my own ASP15 examples]-if you can get your hands on a Norvel 15, these are fairly light as well-but a bit bulky round the cylinder, or even a Fox 15 schneurle which I think are still in production.

I have no experience with retracts so I can't advise you there-but there are retract available now for park flyers-so do a search on that-chances are they will recommend a suitable servo in the installation instructions. I think Tower Hobbies stocks them (the retracts, that is)

ffkiwi
Old 02-11-2011, 02:04 PM
ocelot31454

Thanks for the info. I know that it is on the heavy side. The plans called for, believe it or not, a Cox .049. Because everyone I have talked to has said to up-grade the motor, I have fit the plane with an OS .15. With the muffler sticking out as it does I will still be able to put the mock exhaust on forthe scale look. I did trya Norvel .074 but the exhaust did not stick out far enough and the cylinderhead is actually just a bit fatter than the OS. Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Yuu

I have a "retract servo" for a .40 size plane. The servo only turns 170 degrees, and stops. To put the gear down, flip the switch on the Tx and the servo turns 170 degrees in the other direction. It is a special servo. A 'self-centering' servo is the wrong type, like the elevator servo.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Yuu

Ohh Ohh ! See http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_62...page_10/tm.htm post #241 about Keith Lamur "home made retracts".
Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 PM
ffkiwi

OK-an OS 15 should handle it OK at that weight-you can get an exhaust extension accessory that extends the exhaust duct by about 5/8" if you need more clearance for the muffler. Alternatively of course you always have the option of fitting a tongue muffler-but you would probably have to get one custom made. 'Stuka Stunt Works' is a good place to start looking though-if you want that type of thing. Again-Dubro used to make a similar sort of set up IIRC it was called the Mini Muffl-Aire-you might find these from time to time on the 'Bay.
Norvels tend to have large diameter fins for their size, compared to other makes-possibly as a result of their metallurgy and design-or it may have been simply an 'engine styling decision', like the square-=ish cylinders that are now popular with OS (and ST)in some ranges

ffkiwi
Old 02-12-2011, 04:57 PM
ChicaWolverina

If that is a 1/2A airframe, putting a .15 in that would be the worst thing to do to it. Keeping it light would go with it much better, and finding a very nice TD with throttle. A .15 is far too much, and you'll be out of fuel before 2 minutes is over. Is this your first R/C endeavor, people around here seem to think every 1/2A model in a quarter midget?

You should copy the parts for your model, and research this for the remainder of the plans etc.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:21 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: batdog

ocelot . I am very interested in this 1/2 A scale and wanted more info on the p-51 mustang your building. Is this scratch or kit? Can you point me in the right direction for this scale .
You can still get the Herr mustang kit...Rog Iflyherr.com
Old 02-12-2011, 10:58 PM
ffkiwi

[quote]ORIGINAL: ChicaWolverina

If that is a 1/2A airframe, putting a .15 in that would be the worst thing to do to it.

Chicawolverina-how many 32+ oz 1/2A models have you seen flying? The thing is way way overweight already-and an overweight model with inadequate power is a recipe for disaster. He said its already over 2lbs in weight and extensiverly modified from the original kit structure. FWIW I have numerous plans in my collection for WWII fighters-they all come out at around 36" span, and fly nicely on average 15 power. Most though, do not have u/c-let alone retracts.

'ffkiwi'
Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 AM
R/C Phile

I bought a HOB 1/2A P-51 kit for something like 30 bucks last spring using a Tower's coupon. I wanted to put a Diesel in it and finally sprung for a new Enya .11 CXD Ultra (Very reasonable deal from Precision Aero Products / Cheaper than buying direct from Enya) . It's supposed to be here tomorrow, I'm pretty psyched about it.

Robarts recommends their light retracts kit for it. It will definitely be controlled by and HXT900 servo. About the servo travel, you should be able to program your transmitter to get that done easily with any servo.