Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Lazy Bee's??

Old 07-31-2011, 04:55 PM
brickwoodward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lazy Bee's??

I haven't read all the pages yet........anyone here flying any Lazy Bees?? either the old kits or new RTF??

thanks, bill[8D]
Old 07-31-2011, 06:51 PM
ChicaWolverina

Default RE: Lazy Bee's??

Certainly Not!
Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 PM
Big Al-RCU

Well at least one of us is!
An original kit bee with an OS10. Best time to fly is just before sundown when the wind dies down and everyone else is packing up. Have the runway all to yourself. Try to fly out a full tank without ever getting above shoulder height. Figure eights with the wing tip almost (but not quite) touching the runway. Lotsa fun.
Note: This is not for the combat go like hell flyers. Someday you guys will get old (with luck) and then maybe appreciate relaxing slow flight. (big grin)
Al
Old 08-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah, what Big-A said.

For me the best were a Speedy with an FP .15 and a small electric Lady Bug. But they all do the same thing - fly great low and slow. Enjoy.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 AM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

Still flying my 1994 Lazy Bee kit with an OS .10. Great plane! [8D]
Old 08-01-2011, 11:31 AM
AMB

Have the same one TT GP .10 Davis diesel conversion guess you could call it one of the original park flyers
before the park flyer craze martin and yup still 72 also
Old 08-02-2011, 04:14 PM
brickwoodward

i wuz just wonderin?? i have a 95 kit i finanlly got started in 07. its covered, just needs the tail surfaces hinged, engine installed, servos, reciever and battery........cant wait to get her going!!

I've got to send my 1991 JR 347 off and get the 2.4 conversion and new batteries. then i can fly out in the front yard!!

i made a trade a couple of years back, super tigre 2300 for 5 small engines, and now to get some more planes ready!!

thanks for the replys!! bill
Old 12-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Jaspur_x
My Feedback: (1)

Any upates guys?

I just recently got 2 of the(foamy) COX lazybee`s,(used,ebay) sounded a lot simpler that building...............well then again, theu are used right?
Well at least they were cheap!!
So the first has a badly warped wing, I`m lookingup plans to see about using a bult up wing in its place, chord is about 13 7/8" x 38" span

The second just arived today, fuse isin great shape,but the wing ( OH,NO, not again)..........well someone didn`t like all the white foam apparently,and decides to spray paint the wing!! yes, you guessed id, not using foam safe spraypaint!! luckily they statred at the trailing edge with the paintjob, and stopped when the foam started showing deterioration lol
I`m tempted to just monokote that wing and try it out.
As is, its not/ish terribly deformed butlift and aerodynamicsare def. going to be affected by the coarse tinybubbling;a little worse than 50 grit sand paper for the most part.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:52 AM
hfenn

ORIGINAL: Jaspur_x

Any upates guys?

I just recently got 2 of the(foamy) COX lazybee`s,(used,ebay) sounded a lot simpler that building...............well then again, theu are used right?
Well at least they were cheap!!
So the first has a badly warped wing, I`m looking up plans to see about using a bult up wing in its place, chord is about 13 7/8'' x 38'' span

The second just arived today, fuse is in great shape, but the wing ( OH,NO, not again)..........well someone didn`t like all the white foam apparently, and decides to spray paint the wing!! yes, you guessed id, not using foam safe spraypaint!! luckily they statred at the trailing edge with the paintjob, and stopped when the foam started showing deterioration lol
I`m tempted to just monokote that wing and try it out.
As is, its not/ish terribly deformed but lift and aerodynamics are def. going to be affected by the coarse tiny bubbling;a little worse than 50 grit sand paper for the most part.
You could fill that with light weight spackle and sand smooth. Back when those planes first came out, a friend of mine had one and it did fly fairly well, but not as lively as my built up one with the OS .15.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:03 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

I found these 2 photos floating around on the internet.

I think they are beautifully simplistic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96695.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1700710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94348.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	1700711  
Old 12-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Max_Power

Wow! How could anyone write with that huge pen?
Old 12-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Jaspur_x
My Feedback: (1)

hfen,
 I guess they would not fly as well as a built up plane with all that plastic and all that foam adds up to weight compared to a few sticks of balsa. I`d bet the plastic nose of mine comes close to outweighing your whole fuse without the engine of course.

the spackle idea is a good one, but I`mnot sure whick will weigh more, monokote or spackle, I would think the spackle?  
Old 12-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: bolar

Still flying my 1994 Lazy Bee kit with an OS .10. Great plane! [8D]
Dang, there must bee a bunch of those out there. I still have my original Bee with an OS .10 on it. Have been thinking about going electric with it but I'm resistant to have to remove the wing for every flight. maybe some sort of battery hatch could be installed. Will probably just stay with the glo power as it works well.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:39 PM
davidbegg

Just in the covering stage with my Lazy Bee that I have built from scrach, using the plans obatained off the internet. While not a difficult build, there certainly seemed to be a lot of pieces to assemble!!!! I have built the origional version with the 40'' wing and 3 channel control. From what I read in the blogs on Lazy Bee's, this version will do what I want, flit around the sky like a 'lazy bee'

My Lazy Bee is electric powered, it seemed easier than the glow option. I have the motor fitted but have to finally locate the battery, which final location will depend on the CG as I don't want to have to add unnecessary weight when altering the battery position will achieve the same result. I am expecting flight times of up to 20mins and performance better than a .10 glow engine. This will be a long enough and exciting enough flight for me.

Unfortunately I have temporarily gone off the building 'boil', something that happens to me from time to time, maybe over the Christmas break I will get back into it again. I am confident that the Lazy Bee will fly really well.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:43 PM
ProBroJoe

Hmmm, funny this thread chose now to pop back up - I'm partly through the scratch build of my Bee. I've gotten all of the parts cut and the tail feathers done. I plan to build exactly to the plan and use a OS .10 FP for power, HS-81s on the rudder / elevator and an HS-55 on the throttle. I'm taking my time with this one so it looks it's best for the transparent Coverite Microlight that I plan to use.

FWIW, there's a massive thread on the "other" RC forum that includes .PDF plans for many of the Bee variants...

Name:	Pn35852.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1700979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50745.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1700980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb74095.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1700981  
Old 12-16-2011, 10:28 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Nice work PBJ..!

How did you bend the wood...?
Old 12-17-2011, 05:39 AM
ProBroJoe

Thanks CP!

I gotta admit, the laminating / bending of the wood had me pretty worried, but it turned out to be no big deal. (Andy Clancy did a pretty good write up on it in his Lazy Bee instructions.) Basically, balsa strips 1/16" x 1/8" are soaked in hot water, coated with wood glue, laid together, stretched around a form, then pinned/taped, or rubber banded in place until the glue dries. I cut my strips a little wide and when they were planed and sanded to final thickness you can't even tell the lams were made from multiple pieces! Once the balsa had soaked long enough (about 10 minutes), hardly any force is required to bend the strips so the forms can even be made out of cardboard (wrapped in plastic wrap of course). I used coroplast for my forms in case I wanted to build another Bee or two later.

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Nice work PBJ..!

How did you bend the wood...?

Name:	Db86155.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1701032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14211.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1701033  
Old 12-17-2011, 05:48 AM
nitroairplane

That looks like the perfect plane for a little co2 otor or blitz 0.05cc dieselbut i bet it doesnt fly as lazy as it looks.