Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Build log: The Ryleigh Roooo

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Build log: The Ryleigh Roooo

Old 12-22-2011, 03:45 PM
phatboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build log: The Ryleigh Roooo

Hi guys, this will be my first post to the site in more than 5 years, but here we go. I finally got back into RC flight (read got divorced!), and I got a stellar idea from youtube! Apparently a few people here and there are building planes from the foam board insulation at home improvement stores. So....enter the "Ryleigh Roooo" My Daughter Ryleigh named it! Shes 3, lol.

This will be a complete learn as you go process. Basically Im hotwiring out the parts, laminating where needed, hand sanding airfoils and shape, installing some micro electric gear and going flying. It will be 4ch complete with ailerons, rudder, elevator, and throttle.

Yes it is going to remain pink when done as a tribute to my mom and breast cancer awareness. lol Enough talk here are pics.

This is what Im currently flying.

Got more done today.

And Im picking this up next week in trade for some aquarium equipment.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:00 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Build log: The Ryleigh Roooo

This is a good looking project..!

Good excuse to rig up a vacuum table / stationary belt sander type work station.....?

I'm not sure how it would work, maintaining absolute control of the shaping with the belt sander might be tricky.

One contraption I toyed with was a stationary vertical hot wire that you could use to slice foam, but shaping entire wing panels would still need templates. Busting out the basic airfoil with a 60 grit sanding block on your wing shouldn't take much time though.

This is how a lot of the 1/12th scale warbird combat planes were done.

The drawback to the pink and blue foam is that they are pretty heavy compared to the white beaded stuff. The white beaded foam can be roughly shaped with sanding, but you will end up with way more surface flaws...so it is a "Catch-22".
Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 PM
phatboy

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

This is a good looking project..!

Good excuse to rig up a vacuum table / stationary belt sander type work station.....?

I'm not sure how it would work, maintaining absolute control of the shaping with the belt sander might be tricky.

One contraption I toyed with was a stationary vertical hot wire that you could use to slice foam, but shaping entire wing panels would still need templates. Busting out the basic airfoil with a 60 grit sanding block on your wing shouldn't take much time though.

This is how a lot of the 1/12th scale warbird combat planes were done.

The drawback to the pink and blue foam is that they are pretty heavy compared to the white beaded stuff. The white beaded foam can be roughly shaped with sanding, but you will end up with way more surface flaws...so it is a ''Catch-22''.
Thanks man. Like I said its a learning experience. I dont want to type alot Im tired so here are the updated pics from what got done tonight.

There are a few imperfectons but I think Im going to brush something on the leading edge as a protectant and hopefully that will fill it up a little. Im thinking about using some thin paper of some kind soaked in a mixture of water and elmers glue, then lay that down on the LE, and get the bubbles out. That should strengthen the LE a bit, and cover the imperfections. Remember Im not painting this thing to keep the weight down, so whatever I use would have to look decent. Also this is only sanded with 60 grit. I still have to finish it with 220, and I havent shaped the wing tips yet at all!

Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 PM
combatpigg

Little divits can be filled with light weight spackle I get at Lowes or Home Depot. It helps to mist the spackle with water to dampen it...it will stick to the foam better instead of rolling off.
For big goofs, you can Elmers glue in scraps of foam...but beware of burying Elmers glue too deep or it takes forever to dry.
I'm using Elmers white glue thinned with water to cover a fuselage with a heavy tissue called Silkspan. It works pretty good and the overlapping seams can be sanded to be presentable.
Silkspan comes in different weights.
I'm not sure where you draw the line between Silkspan and tissue
Old 12-22-2011, 10:47 PM
phatboy

Thanks for the pointer on the spackle. I just ordered all my electronics from fleabay. This is the battery. I have a lipo charger for one of my helis, but it has a single pin deans connector. Could I just change that single pin to a T style Deans for this battery?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130619532286...84.m1439.l2649
Old 12-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Tee Bee

I like it. Nice work so far. But in keeping with spirit of this forum, I can't help but suggest that you at least consider installing a small fuel burner up front.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:34 AM
phatboy

ORIGINAL: Tee Bee

I like it. Nice work so far. But in keeping with spirit of this forum, I can't help but suggest that you at least consider installing a small fuel burner up front.

That is definitly not out of the question, and honestly was my initial intention! The problem is the fuel will burn this foam (thats what I was told anyway). If I finally get around to covering and painting this model someday (if it flys as good as I hope!!!) then I will likely switch it over to something that burns fuel. Im not sure what the final weight is going to be yet, but I imagine that something around the .049-.051 range with a throttle will do nicely, maybe a .074 if Im feeling especially daring that day, but I dont want to rip her apart midflight!

Going to get more sand paper, so I can finish the airfoils now, and really clean up all the lines. Then finish sand with 320. I dont really like how the wing doesnt blend in with the side of the plane, so I might make some fillets there and finger sand them to blend everything better. IDK bout that yet. I dont want to put a ton of work into this if its not gonna fly good.

Update later.

Oh I decided to add landing gear as well with a steerable tail wheel. Of course it will be lightweight electric stuff.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:35 AM
phatboy

Just wanted to update for those who are watching.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from ebay for the project. Motor, ESC, battery, servos, reciver, clevises, pushrods, control horns, motor mount, props, spinner, low batt LED, wheels, carbon fiber tube for the main wing, etc. All the "stuff" I need. I have recieved about 1/2 of the items I ordered, but the main things I need to continue arent here yet. I need the motor, the battery, ESC, servos, and reciever so I can set the CG.

I did some calculations, and here are some specs:

Wingspan - 30.25"
Root Chord - 7.5"
Tip Chord - 4"
Average Chord - 5.75"
Wing area - 174"

Im hoping to get some work done tonight on her, and have some more pics to post late tonight!

Also I didnt realize it when I posted the project here, but I now know that 1/2a is for NITRO, not ELEC power planes, lol. Sorry. Believe it or not I did find an old 1/2 built Ace GLH, so possibly a speed plane project coming soon.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Tee Bee

Your project is neat and probably appreciated by others here. Other "lecky" models with 1/2A potential get featured here from time to time.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 PM
phatboy

Cool thanks man. There will definitly be some progress tonight!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:09 PM
phatboy

Progress tonight! Im too tired to type! I really wish my other stuff would come in. Also does anyone have any suggestions for how to connect the two elevator halves?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 PM
combatpigg

For a balsa sheet tail, I use aluminum TIG welding wire....1/8" for most stuff. Pick a bendable alloy that doesn't crack.

Otherwise, for a foamie....I'd probably go with birch dowel joiner and cross drill it so I could push a few bamboo skewers into each elevator half.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 AM
Tee Bee

Maybe 1/8" wood dowel epoxied flush into the elev leading edge.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:02 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

You might want to use this:

http://www.wowplanes.com/index.php?c...f28fb5b8b7b3b6
Old 01-06-2012, 02:03 PM
phatboy

ORIGINAL: soarrich

You might want to use this:
THATS FANTASTIC! If this thing flys really well I will use that product then paint it. It will still be breast cancer pink, with black lettering, but that would really do the trick!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
longdan

Working in the kitchen. Nice. Beats a cold drafty workshop any day
Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 PM
phatboy

ORIGINAL: longdan

Working in the kitchen. Nice. Beats a cold drafty workshop any day
Lots to be said for living alone my friend. Im sure when I move in with the girl Im seeing and we get married that the kitchen wont be an option, but shes so awesome she would let me redesign the entire garage into a workshop that we just happen to park our cars in. lol

Servos, and carbon fiber rod came in today!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 PM
phatboy

Once again, the pics are fairly straight forward. Feel free to tell me how wrong I am doing this! lol

Old 01-09-2012, 12:50 AM
longdan

Nice plane. I'm looking forward to seeing her fly.
Though I do feel the need to question the thickness of the tail surfaces. 1/8" balsa sheet would work better, but wouldn't look as scale.
With such a thick chord, elevator response will be dampened. And drag will be increased. With planes this small, having aerofoil shaped tail surfaces makes zero improvement over a flat sheet.
Just my 5c worth.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:04 AM
Mr Cox

Dito on the stab-thickness. Why not simply put a balsa-sheet stab?

The attachment of the landing-gear is a little odd. The wire part that runs along the wing is usually allowed to twist, like a torsional spring for the landing gear.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 AM
soarrich

Looks good so far.
Landing gear is correct, just put a little Vaseline on the part that's going to be embedded with the carbon-fiber tow acting as the torsion bar. You might want to put something to help the top of the strut from pulling back on landing.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:34 AM
Cross Check

Hi phat,

Looking Good!

Try experimenting with WPV. (Waterbased Polyurethane Varnish). Dollar Store Acrylic poster paints can be mixed in with it.

It is not "Raw Fuel" proof, but will repel any oils from an exhaust...(Let it dry for a few days)

Bulletproof elevator hinges... I like it !

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 AM
phatboy

Thanks for the input guys. I didnt know that and will certainly take it into consideration on the next build. I see now how I can modify this one to use balsa sheets, and I will pick some up at the hobby store today. If the plane flys like poop I will change it, if it flys decent I will leave it for this one. I have a feeling the next one will be a duct fan F-14 Tomcat.

The landing gear is 2mm pushrod so it doesnt have much spring at all. I wanted something going back in the body to keep it from just rolling back when I landed. After all I AM using hot glue to hold them in, lol. I will do more research for the next build for sure.

Soarrich do you mean the landing struts? IDK what I could do, any ideas?

Thanks CC. Its definitly going to get a maiden flight or two before its covered with anything, BUT I did find out that I should be able to cover it with econocote low temp covering!!! And they make it in breast cancer pink! Woot!

I broke my foam cutter last night, so Im off to the store. Progress again in the morning, or late tonight. lol
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 AM
soarrich

The top drawing would work to keep the gear from being peeled off in a rough landing. The second transfers the load much better to the wing.

Why put landing gear on it anyway, it will fly better without LG, and you have very little chance of it ROGing if you're on grass, and on grass the gear is just going to flip the plane on landing unless you a landing on a putting green.[]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56882.gif
Views:	10
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1711913  
Old 01-09-2012, 08:03 PM
phatboy

Well tonight was not as productive. I am going to have to rethink parts of this as you will see

Got the Servos and Reciever fitted, the extra space at the top of the reciever is for the extra wiring from the Y harness.

Didnt like it just being open so I opened a pack of balsa and got to thinking.

I had some tiny rare earth magnets laying around

So I made a cover.

Fits nicely needs something to grab to open it with though.

Started hinging the ailerons, and this happened. So Im going to the hobby store tomorrow to get some balsa, some CA, and a few other items. I am going to revamp the tail with balsa instead of foam, and I am going to build the ailerons out of balsa so I can properly hinge them. Stay tuned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.