Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Deal hunting

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 AM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deal hunting

Picco P-0's are still $39.... direct from OFNA....

That used/crashed MP Jet .061 diesel on Feebay last night went for $34...

Norvels are selling for $30 occasionally....

Magnum .15's are $40 from time to time.....

What makes you guys open your wallet? How cheap does an engine have to be for you to buy it?

for me, $50 is a mental hurdle that the engine has to be something special or needed for parts. The unfortunate part is that I come across a lot of sub $50 engines that "might someday may be useful" to me.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:42 PM
nitroairplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Deal hunting

well if it is sub .010 my wallet can become very deep indeed.
For anything larger no more than $50 unless a 4 stroke or gas or really special.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:15 PM
DeviousDave

I'm a sucker for tiny ones too, but seeing Gkamysz work thru the problems on his AE .1 has made me glad to have a Schlosser as the smallest diesel I'll ever own-the sealing problems with smaller engines are not something I am willing to deal with either. Right now I am on a 1cc to 2.5cc exotic diesel kick and not being very disciplined with spending.... the PARRA 1.5cc is next for me.

TD .010's get interesting under $80, I am findng that they are starting to dry up a bit-it used to be that they were plentiful, if expensive. They are cheaper now but much less available.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:16 PM
nitroairplane

Hmm you  you think Greg had problems with his AE .1cc at least now his runs well.
It took 20 hours of tinkering nad tryin before mine went. Even now it will barely run out a tank.
My other tiny diesels were an absolute pleasure.
My smallest is a fith of the size of the smallest Schlossers.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:48 PM
DeviousDave

I wasn't there for the successful runs, but I was at Greg's running engines when he tried to get it going for the first time. He ain't no noob, if Greg couldn't get it running it's because there's something wrong with it. In this case, he replaced the needle and venturi with a Supertiger part of some kind IIRC.

I want engines that start and run, not novelties. I'm the guy who puts 2 hours on a TD .010 in a summer, a piston/liner fit that lasts for 30 minutes wouldn't be acceptable to me and that's a problem with the little guys. Speaking of which, most of those little guys are made by Valentine and I won't do business with him. If you spend any time looking at his auctions, you'll figure out why.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 AM
nitroairplane

Yeah the whole.
"no garauntee to the age of the item and thy fact that we are not the manufacturer" that always got me.
I was like that first but bit the bullet as it was the cheapest little one I could get.
Ron made the new cox #4 cylinders and I will probably got one of those web they are ready.
Greg was very helpful when I was trying to get my AE to go.

But the teedee .010 diesel should be sorted pretty soon so fingers crossed.
Indra
Old 02-01-2012, 07:23 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It really depends on the engine how cheap it has to be before I'll buy it.
There's a few expensive engines I would not want to be without.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:21 PM
DeviousDave

The MP Jet diesel ended up being quite a score, It just needs a muffler and I happen to have two spares. It's got some time on it from the looks of the piston but has a nice pop when turning it over-these were $200 motors a few years ago..... MP Jet just released the first new ones made since 1994 for about $140! Still a lot of dough but I highly recommend trying one of these-they'll lug an 8-4 with authority or spin the bejeezus out of a 5" prop. There is no 1/2A-10 sized plane that this engine won't power well.

Got a free bullet spinner and "marine" exhaust extension with it-you need one of these for an enclosed engine installation.

So, which one of you guys is going to pick up that $10 Norvel I've been watchin'?