Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Flight Pack with Micro JST Connectors

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Flight Pack with Micro JST Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 PM
scattermaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight Pack with Micro JST Connectors

Hello,
Quite a while back I bought a Spektrum AR6300F DSM2 Nanolite Flight Pack.
It has a receiver and 4 servos. well now I'm preparing to build a few small / light rubber power to RC converted kits and I wanted to use this flight pack.
The receiver has these funny looking micro JST connections.
I haven't seen them before. I'm wondering what speed control would have a plug like that, and what battery pack .
I'm planning on building a 30" Herr, Ryan STA. It's a stick and tissue, rubber power design, so I need to keep as light as possible.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 03-05-2012, 12:59 AM
g-rock
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Flight Pack with Micro JST Connectors

Jim, http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A0320122 is one of several online stores where you can purchase mini JST connectors. ESC's and most LiPo batteries do not come with connectors, you have to supply them.
Gene
Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you buy your connectors, sold with pigtails attached, be sure to double check the polarity - don't just rely on color matching. If the pins need to be reversed, the connectors have a small tab that can be lifted with the point of an Exacto knife and the pins slipped out, then re-inserted.

Don't ask how I found out. [:@]
Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 AM
fit90

Horizon Hobby also sells an adapter. I am using it on an ESC with a JRconnector on a Spektrum 6300 rx.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 AM
scattermaster

Thanks guys,
I went to the BP site mentioned above and even the little 5 amp speed controller looks like it has the normal receiver connection.
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...1&pid=E2034774

I want to be as light as I can so I don't want to just use adapters. I didn't see any speed controllers already rigged with micro JST, so I'm guessing I need to cut that off and solder on the right one?
Looking at batteries yesterday, I saw some 2 cell lipo's that looked like they had one little red 2 wire connecter (JST?) and another one that looks like the micro JST, but I thought that was just a balance plug??
Jim
Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: scattermaster

I didn't see any speed controllers already rigged with micro JST, so I'm guessing I need to cut that off and solder on the right one?
Looking at batteries yesterday, I saw some 2 cell lipo's that looked like they had one little red 2 wire connecter (JST?) and another one that looks like the micro JST, but I thought that was just a balance plug??
That's correct - you'll need to change out the standard plug on the controller for micro JST to match the throttle jack on your RX.

Most 2s lipos rated at 1000mAh and under will come with the 2-wire JST connector (usually red). The white micro-JST is your balance plug and cannot be used in place of the discharge connector. Depending on the speed controller, some come with battery plugs and some come without. Since your lipos will likely already have the JST battery plug, the simplest approach is to get matching JST plugs for the ESC. Unless you want to buy pins and a crimp tool (hardly worthwhile), just get the JST with pigtails and splice to your ESC. You can always shorten the wires to save weight and voltage drop.