Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Monokote that 1/2A

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:16 PM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Monokote that 1/2A

Very professional. Thanks Gene. I too get along well with Monokote.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Super job and an excellent explanation. Ditto to the others who commented on your use of silkspan - great idea.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Monocote isn't what it used to be, to me at least, it used to be softer somehow and cling very well...

I've also had problems with the pin-stripe coming of with fuel and wiping of the plane, but haven't tried sealing all of it from the beginning. You can get similar effects though with overlapping layers of film, and this stays in place much better that just a thin strip of pin-stripe. Here is one I did in Oracover and Oralite;
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62125.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1748576  
Old 04-10-2012, 03:14 AM
tangerine-jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Monokote since 1983 and I've never gotten a finish like yours. Good job! Each covering method has its pros and cons, I don't think there is a "silver bullet" covering that applies to every application. I like Monokote because it's strong, easy to repair, and available everywhere. Lately Ive come to like silkspan mainly for it's fabric weave and it's the best I've found for the "vintage" WWI era airplanes that i like.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:27 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree Monokote has its Pros & Cons. I tend to use it more over the winter months, since i can apply it in the house & dont have to worry about going out into the garage to heat it up. I tend to use silkspan, silk & Koverall during the warmer months where any solvents dont smell up the house. I have recently gotten away with applying Koverall with Minwax poly in the house over the winter. But my painting still waits til i can use the garage......Gene