Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Flipso, a 1/2a speedster

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Flipso, a 1/2a speedster

Old 04-24-2012, 01:35 PM
forsakenrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flipso, a 1/2a speedster

Based on my friends molded version of the Slipso400 here is my little speed plane.

34" foam core wing (sparkles included!) 4 3/4 in the center down to 3 1/4 at the tips. Some fast airfoil.
Molded Flipso fuse (Probably go with v-tail)
Profi .061

Im thinkin' it should be quick.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28487.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1754436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21032.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1754437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41532.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1754438  
Old 04-24-2012, 04:56 PM
exocet-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Flipso, a 1/2a speedster

Oh, my! That doesn't look fast at all...... [X(]

Sure looks like fun.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 PM
DeviousDave

If I can make a recommendation, rotate the cylinder to where it blankets out the wing saddle. The wing saddle is already draggy from the fuse/wing intersection so your overall drag will be less than if it is mounted like it is now. If making the mold wasn't so hard (would be a 3 piece due to the speed bonnet) I would have done my fuse that way.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 AM
forsakenrider

so turn it up so the venturi and cylinder creat a V on the front? thats interesting, Ive never thought of that before.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Japanman

Whoa, that looks like it might get the heart rate up to fly!
I would dearly love to see other Arf flying persons faces when it hits the breeze for the first time.
[>:]
How much does it weigh?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

That really looks excellent..!
I think this is the first 1/2A Profi build thread...?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: forsakenrider

so turn it up so the venturi and cylinder creat a V on the front? thats interesting, Ive never thought of that before.
It made a lot of difference on Matchless's Caliente2, I suggested doing this and using electric pylon props and it made a considerable difference in his top speed. It has been a decade since then but I want to say he went from 119 or so to 141 using the early AERO .049's which were a precursor to the Norvel AME's.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 AM
forsakenrider

Interesting advice DD, I should have lots of room in the firewall to drill an extra set of holes, maybe I'll try it in both positions and see is it makes a difference.

I think youre right CP, I just got my profi in November so I've been waiting for winter to end, but whats everyone else excuse?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

I don't know why there aren't more guys running these engines except for the fear of the unknown, ultrasonic noise and initial cost.
I've never tried a Fora or Cyclon on backplate pressure, but that is a relatively easy way to run these types of engines if you don't want to mess with a latex bladder.
These engines in the long run are less expensive to run than having coffee cans full of worn out or broken Norvels, VAs and Coxes..and the performance is spectacular.

Your black plane will show up well on overcast days, make sure you put high contrast graphics on top of the wing and leave the underside totally unmarked.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM
forsakenrider

The underside of the wing is actually just clear, so its pink foam with a strip of CF. I was thinking of either leaving it or adding black stripes. I dont know what will be easier to see.

School winds down in the next two weeks so it shouldnt be too long before its done. I'll try and do the wing saddle/mount and the tail this weekend. and that will leave me with just linkages and then tank.

This profi is set up with backplate pressure. I will probably run it with a 1oz tank for the first flights to keep the weight and flight time down and then swap out to a 2oz one later on.

heres a link of it running on no nitro fuel for those who havent seen it:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOWO1ypPeDg&list=UU10XXrQW0CE6wFZmbBi8duQ&index=4&feature=plcp[/youtube]
Old 04-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Tee Bee

Looks fast and fun!
Old 04-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: forsakenrider

The underside of the wing is actually just clear, so its pink foam with a strip of CF. I was thinking of either leaving it or adding black stripes. I dont know what will be easier to see.

School winds down in the next two weeks so it shouldnt be too long before its done. I'll try and do the wing saddle/mount and the tail this weekend. and that will leave me with just linkages and then tank.

This profi is set up with backplate pressure. I will probably run it with a 1oz tank for the first flights to keep the weight and flight time down and then swap out to a 2oz one later on.

heres a link of it running on no nitro fuel for those who havent seen it:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOWO1ypPeDg&list=UU10XXrQW0CE6wFZmbBi8duQ&index=4&feature=plcp[/youtube]
Is that the Profi you got from me? If so, it was always run on backplate pressure and it worked extremely well. The needle wasn't sensitive at all ... and in fact was quite broad in its setting. Ran consistent from startup to dry tank and there wasn't much warning when it quit. It just shut off like someone turned off a switch. Those are thirsty little engines though so allow for plenty of fuel. Your plane looks great.