Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

ENYA .09 - Best Glow Plug? Can I machine the head down?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

ENYA .09 - Best Glow Plug? Can I machine the head down?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
guitardude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENYA .09 - Best Glow Plug? Can I machine the head down?

Hello all,

I have an ENYA .09 nitro engine, that has an unusual head, sort of like a Heli engine head. I haven't found much about the engine anywhere and have NEVER seen one with the larger "Heli" looking head. I've as yet to put it in an airplane, but I'm thinking of installing the engine in a Global Models, Baby Birdi though the specs call for an .074 as the largest engine, I also have an AP .061 WASP "NEW" in the box. The Global Models, Baby Birdi is an older kit probably from the late 80s, sort of like a mini pattern plane. I have run the engine a couple of times and it seemed to run quite well with an O.S. #8 glow plug and an APC 8x4 Prop, however sometimes its difficult to get it started. I'll try to get a picture uploaded to reference.

1. Is the O.S. #8 the best plug for it, I do have a couple of A3s but nothing else for 2 strokes?

2. Can I cut or turn down the large head the engine has on a metal lathe (or should I just leave it alone)?

Any help is greatly appreciatied.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40075.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1788369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56699.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1788370  
Old 08-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Rendegade

Default RE: ENYA .09 - Best Glow Plug? Can I machine the head down?

I personally wouldn't mess with it, it does allow you to enclose the engine a bit more than normal and get away with it

Also, thats not an OS plug, its an enya, and it's a ball raced engine, so it should be good.

Never seen a red anodized carb like that before. All a bit strange!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:25 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the Enya "quicky .09" it is of the old cross flow design with double ball bearing crank. It was manufactured as a buggy engine for use on the Kyosho Assault buggy in the 1990's. You can get an airplane head directly from Enya for $7.40. As for plugs, I've used everything from K&B, Fox, to OS. For North American plugs, make sure you use R/C Short ones.

http://www.enya-engine.com/P_list/P_list094_E.html
Old 08-04-2012, 05:27 AM
sirzepp
My Feedback: (1)

That engine is really cool...love old Enyas.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:28 AM
hllywdb

I've got a 30 year old Enya 09 that still runs like new. They take forever to fully break in. I always used a Fox RC short in mine and got great idle and performance. They will take a wide range of 7" and 8" props as well. A bit heavy but a great all around dependable motor.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:29 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

This is a Webra 20 that had a heatsink head I turned down to "airplane" size.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33798.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1788959  
Old 08-04-2012, 09:57 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The heatsink head would work good in a pusher or airboat or?  if that would be desireable. I have turned down a heli motor head for a regular plane and it is fine.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:59 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would just get the airplane head. A guy on ebay has parts and he's reasonable with shipping.

For the old small Enyas I really like Enya #3 glow plugs, or McCoy 59 with an extra gasket (it's a std. long). But if it runs well with the OS 8 I'd just leave it. Clearly others have had success with other plugs. Should be easy to hand start once you learn how many choked turns it likes cold. Hot it should start right up. I like 'em.

I think a Baby Birdi is too small for that engine. It will be hard to stuff it in, and it will be hard to balance, especially if you leave that head on it. I'd put the AP Wasp in it and check old RCM plans or Flying Models for a little larger plane for the .09. Scratch building in this size is dead easy. Maybe a Nacho or a Chips from Flying Models. Randy Randolph had a ton of designs for this size.

Jim
Old 08-04-2012, 04:15 PM
aspeed

For a plug, check and see if it is a short, med. (OS Enya), or long first before you choose a brand.  You will have to take the head off and see if the bottom of the plug is flush with the bottom of the chamber, with the plug washer in, and of course tighten up the screws properly after.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:42 PM
buzzard bait

Always good to check that. But I'm quite sure Enyas are medium just like OS. The OS 8 is probably just fine, and not the reason for hard starting unless it is worn out.

Jim
Old 08-07-2012, 05:56 AM
controlliner

They are North American made short plugs are just 1/2 a thread shorter in the head than OS or Enya.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:20 AM
aspeed

Shorts are .026" shorter than the 4.5mm Japanese ones. 5/32" short, 7/32" long and the os plug that I measured was .181", or about 4.5mm. I check all of my motors and scribe the size on the head. I had a Thunder Tiger .10that I put a short in and it wouldn't run or idle right with a short, and a long was too deep, so it needed an OS. My few OS LA .15's take a long oddly enough considering it's size and the fact that it is an OS motor.My Fox .15 BB takes the OS plug.I haven't really seen any of the smaller motors that even take a short, but I always thought I should make the .15 size and under heads to fit the shorts to give a better seal and maybe perform better. Now there is Turbo plugs but they require a completely new head. But as far as the original poster is concerned, I would run it as is or get the new head if the heat sink head can't hold the heat for idling. Machining it is no problem either, but someone may want or need the heatsink head and pay a premium for it it you need the nickles.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 AM
buzzard bait

shtterman has the head on ebay for $8 and $2.75 shipping. Cheap and easy. I've bought from him and he's fine.

Jim
Old 08-17-2012, 07:21 PM
flysrc

Hey I have 3 enya .09's. they all run like a champ and easily hand start. I also have a scratch build birdy 10. An enya .15 is the perfect combination of plane, motor and power. Adequate power for all pattern manuevers.
Dave
Old 08-17-2012, 07:22 PM
flysrc

OHHH almost forgot.... I run OS #8's in all of them.

Dave
Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 AM
guitardude

Thanks EVERYONE for ALL the GREAT information. I GREATLY appreciate it. I figured a bunch of people here on RCU would have the answer.

Thanks again!