Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

PROFI RAMBLER .049

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:01 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: PROFI RAMBLER .049

ffkiwi, the coroboard would be handy to have..I've also got other uses for it, sanitary barriers to go between rabbit cages.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:50 AM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MJD

I think the ''problem'' with the price, is that it is a 0.8cc /.049 ci engine, and we are conditioned to think that smaller displacement means less money. That might be true for ''mass'' produced Cox or Norvel engines - maybe mainstream engines is a better term - but the fact is that these are top level competition engines, and they require all the same manufacturing and machining steps as any other engine, and probably require more care in terms of fits and tolerances than engines several times their size.

To me, yeah it's a bit pricey, but I am getting a state of the art competition oriented engine that will give me all kinds of sts and giggles. I have engines worth more than this that won't get me anywhere near as excited. The Profi .061 is the most fun I've had with my pants on for a while.

Now if you want to fall out of your chair, get a quote for a state of the art F2A .15... egads.. I thought I wanted one really badly until I found out they were worth about two Moki 2.10's and a fancy dinner out for the wife and I. We're talking $600-$700 per. That's the price of keeping up with the Joneses in F2A though. So I satisfy my high rpm racing engine urges with 1/2A's and 1cc for now. I had a woody to build an RC speed model with a Profi F2A engine, can you imagine? If it can pull a C/L model at 208mph, with lines, it obviously has the ability to pull a clean RC model at higher speeds. Might be a cantankerous b and would take a fair bit of engine savvy to get everything dialed in right, but the F2A guys do it on a regular basis, so why not? Maybe I'll find ''last year's model'' F2A engine sometime for a relative bargain.
Oh, it's not that I don't recognize the engine for what it is or appreciate HP 1/2A engines..... I have 2 cyclons, a profi .061, 2 VA MkII's, 9 VA Mk 1's (and a rare prototype run motor), and about 40 Norvel .8 and 1cc motors. And that ain't all...

It's just a lot of D****d money period! I'd rather have the Parra .09 right now, gow or diesel because the prop choices are much better and you can throttle them. Mid 24-26k on a 5-5 is pretty respectable for a glow .09 let alone a Diesel!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 AM
ffkiwi

Mine was made from second-hand used real estate agent housesigns-the stuff (coreflute) is widely used here for temporary or short term signage that has to be weather proof and last for a week or so......

ChrisM
'ffkiwi

.....the unused unprinted white stuff I use to make model boxes for domestic travel and model storage ....usually over a light stripwood internal frame.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just a lot of D****d money period! I'd rather have the Parra .09 right now, gow or diesel because the prop choices are much better and you can throttle them. Mid 24-26k on a 5-5 is pretty respectable for a glow .09 let alone a Diesel!
Well, yeah, it is expensive. C'mon, let me make myself feel better about it would ya?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:56 AM
combatpigg

Well, yeah, it is expensive. C'mon, let me make myself feel better about it would ya?

It's only expensive if you don't get any use out of it. The more times you fly it and the more years you fly it...it keeps lowering it's original cost to you. Compare all the thrilling flights you'll get from it compared with a can full of TDs or Norvels. When I ran those engines predominately my other hobby was being a Cox and Norvel mechanic. Since then the only work I've done to the HP engines is make a smaller / longer venturi for the Cyclon.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

$200 is not that much for a basically homebuilt motor.  I wouldn't want to make the piston/cyl. for that much money, much less the other parts. It would take all day, and plating is beyond me (I think)  So, does that make you feel better??  I can't believe the Magnum's and other motors can even be made for $40.  Just everyone is used to these kind of deals now, me included.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 AM
MJD

I was curious how far we'd have to drive to fly 1/2A's together - ouch! You're way out in the SW corner.

Hey I feel great about buying the Profi, no second thoughts.

BTW the estimated cost of the piped full speed version is $350. Hmmm.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: aspeed

$200 is not that much for a basically homebuilt motor. I wouldn't want to make the piston/cyl. for that much money, much less the other parts. It would take all day, and plating is beyond me (I think) So, does that make you feel better?? I can't believe the Magnum's and other motors can even be made for $40. Just everyone is used to these kind of deals now, me included.
No, I'm a tool and die maker. I can make ANYTHING out of metal and a lot of things in composites.

I usually just don't get around to it!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 AM
DeviousDave

I was curious how far we'd have to drive to fly 1/2A's together - ouch! You're way out in the SW corner.

Hey I feel great about buying the Profi, no second thoughts.

BTW the estimated cost of the piped full speed version is $350. Hmmm.

Wow.. I wonder what kind of prop it will turn and what RPM.... One thing I learned from racing electrics is that prop efficiency falls off a cliff under 5" so 20% more power from a hotter engine doesn't mean anything if you have to spin a 3-3/4" prop to get it.

Might make a killer ducted fan motor though...
Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 AM
DeviousDave

Actually, I'm trying to make myself feel better about the 3Kw worth of solar panels I am buying this week. []

Sometimes it sucks having to be an adult, one bad thing about this economy is that suddenly all the toys we always wanted and more than a few ones we didn't know we wanted yet are too easily available to us. I 'need' yet another motorcycle, that classic pony car you couldn't afford 6 years ago is within reach if you just stretched that little bit further etc.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 AM
MJD

A counter-weighted one blade prop approx 4" diameter (or perhaps 2" radius is a better way to put it) in the 43-48k range. Spin them fast enough they work okay. CP has already flown in the 150 range with APC 4.2x4 props on other small engines. Guys are flying insane speeds on electrics with 4.1" props at a bazillion rpm.

You just cannot get the hp of out small engines without the rpm. Displacement x rpm/60 x efficiency = amount of fuel burned per second = power. Since the stroke is so small, piston speed it not outlandish. F2A .15 speed engines turn up in the 43k range all the time, and they hold up fine for many runs at about 1.7 times the stroke of an .049. Even at that rpm I think they have lower piston speeds than Formula 1 engines.

I think my Profi .049 will pay for itself faster than a bank of solar panels.. [8D]

But seriously, what kind of payback period are you looking at with the solar bank?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:15 PM
combatpigg

I found noticeable gains when flying TDs in C/L combat by cutting the 5x3 rubber prop down to about 4 inches.
I'm amazed at how APC is right on top of just about every application that is out there. Where does all their input come from..? Top level competitors I imagine.
I've disagreed with them for dropping the 7.2x8.6......but they know their sales figures don't lie. Too bad for some of us because that was an awesome prop for .40-.50 speed projects.
Their selection of 1/2A props is pretty awesome considering how few 1/2A flyers there are.
DD...I admire your sense of "fiscal restraint"..the solar power system doesn't have to pay dividends right away...it is more of a rainy day investment the way I look at it. A day might come when those systems are worth twice their weight in gold.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 PM
MJD

There was a program up here where Ontario Hydro would buy surplus solar power into the grid from homeowners at about 5-6 times the going rate, as an incentive to take out a 2nd mortgage to put it in. A bunch of people jumped on that bandwagon, but it may have expired by now. I save hydro by making my wife shave in the dark and take cold baths.

CP - I asked Fred at APC once what numbers he had to produce to justify making a new prop mold - the answer was 5000. Judging by how many APC 4.2x2 and 4.2x4 are hanging in bags untouched at the LHS's around here, undoubtedly they have that and several times more in the pipeline. Some LHS's have the oddest inventory, like a bunch of 7x9 at one spot I was at recently.. no wonder they go broke. Someone must have just decided that if it is on the product list, they should inventory it. I doubt it was due to predictions of a surge in C/L B speed activity.

I guess dropping the 7.2 x 8.6 had to do with the trend towards higher and higher rpm in those events? Dunno.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:38 PM
combatpigg

I thought maybe the 7.2x8.6 was a Formula One pylon prop..? It sure ran good on a K&B F1 engine I bought off ebay. I still have one of those props, have a mold box built but haven't cast the mold of the prop...just need to finish up a gigantic project ahead of that one.
I haven't checked to see if
Wilk or Hazel carry the same prop.
Without an infinite selection of props, if all you do is buy off the shelf..then all you will get is "off the shelf" results. This is why having various CF props is a necessary evil so that you can modify and check the progress of those mods to see if you're working in the right direction or not. Kind of like a search party where some luck is involved and possibly some false "leads" to weed out, too..
Old 11-29-2012, 04:33 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
I haven't checked to see if Wilk or Hazel carry the same prop.
Eliminator:

P-8 7 3/8 X 8 1/4 This prop is based on Ray Brown F3D Pylon Prop.
Z-1 7 1/2 X 8 1/2 This prop is based on Zoomer B Speed prop 7X8 re-pitched.
L-1 7 X 8 1/2 This prop is Glen Lee's B Speed Prop.

I have Mike Hazel's list somewhere, will take a look this evening.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:47 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A 7-10" used to be the right prop for a B Speed when you could use 80% nitro.  Now a 7-8" seems to be the one.  I think they are about 24,000 rpm in the air. MJD, I am a long way from Orangeville now.. I used to be in Waterloo. Really there are no fields that are paved near here anyway, maybe River Rouge in Detroit, but a bulletproof vest and a gun are needed.  I am likely closer to Devious Dave in Michigan now.  I am/was? a machinist and don't get around to making much stuff either.  I got most of the stuff in the shop if I feel like doing things though.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:10 PM
MJD

I was looking on Steve Wilk's prop list just now - for 1/2A speed he has a few single bladers listed, they are all 2-5/8" (5.25" disc diameter) from 4.5 - 5.0" pitch. These sound too big for 40k+ engines, more like hot TD sizes? I need to talk to a 1/2A speed guy.

SC-7 2 5/8 X 5
1/2A Single Blade Prop designed for 1/2A Speed 049 with a tuned pipe.
This Prop is based on Super Cool's 1/2A Speed Prop

SC-6 2 5/8 X 4 1/2
This Prop is based on Super Cool's 1/2A Speed Prop.

H-1
2 5/8 X 4 1/4
This Prop is based on Carl Dodge's 1/2A Speed Prop.

F-6
2 5/8 X 5
This Prop is based on Bob Fogg's 1/2A Speed Prop.

F-5
2 5/8 X 4 3/4

F-4
2 5/8 X 4 1/2

F-3
2 5/8 X 4 1/4

Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 PM
combatpigg

I think Carl Dodge owns the all time AMA record for 1/2A speed and he did it with a CS or a G&Z with full pipe. Just over 150+ MPH. 11 cc tank might seem big enough for that..?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 PM
forsakenrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the smaller pitched single blade from Steve. He said to file the hub to get ther pitch I wanted. I guess thats the single blade benefit.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:10 PM
combatpigg

I never considered that you could tilt the prop. I would feel kind of "weird" trying that for the 1st time to see how well it works.
I might feel kind of weird no matter how many times I "got away" with it beforehand......
You would need to surface both sides of the hub parallel and I would fill the void in the hub with JB Weld.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:29 PM
forsakenrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, he said to do it to get the pitch you want and then JB weld on the counter weight. I was wondering how the hole works out after, but I guess you just put it TLAR and then balance it.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:59 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: forsakenrider

I got the smaller pitched single blade from Steve. He said to file the hub to get ther pitch I wanted. I guess thats the single blade benefit.
What are you running that on - the Profi?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 PM
combatpigg

MJD, if you run into a 1/2A Speed Guru ask him how much of a take off roll they need.....!
If I knew better, I'd just have the plane Wilks designed hand launched with no landing gear.
I might even set a sheet of plywood on the bed of a pickup truck and go with a stooge release.?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 PM
DeviousDave

A counter-weighted one blade prop approx 4'' diameter (or perhaps 2'' radius is a better way to put it) in the 43-48k range. Spin them fast enough they work okay. CP has already flown in the 150 range with APC 4.2x4 props on other small engines. Guys are flying insane speeds on electrics with 4.1'' props at a bazillion rpm.

You just cannot get the hp of out small engines without the rpm. Displacement x rpm/60 x efficiency = amount of fuel burned per second = power. Since the stroke is so small, piston speed it not outlandish. F2A .15 speed engines turn up in the 43k range all the time, and they hold up fine for many runs at about 1.7 times the stroke of an .049. Even at that rpm I think they have lower piston speeds than Formula 1 engines.

I think my Profi .049 will pay for itself faster than a bank of solar panels.. [8D]

But seriously, what kind of payback period are you looking at with the solar bank?

Agreed, you need RPM to get HP, but there comes a point of diminishing returns because as hp increases with rpm, torque and prop diameter necessarily have to go down.

As for the panels, no idea on the pay-off. I can eventually grid-tie and get paid for my excess wattage but this is going to be an off-grid cabin application. I see them as stored wealth and am building a place on some land I bought in '07 because I am worried about our economy. Global economics aside, none of the factors that brought us the last downturn have been addressed or corrected and each time we borrow our way out of crisis it's more and more painful in the future. I just want a fall back option with no responsibilities but taxes and feeding myself.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:52 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I found noticeable gains when flying TDs in C/L combat by cutting the 5x3 rubber prop down to about 4 inches.
I'm amazed at how APC is right on top of just about every application that is out there. Where does all their input come from..? Top level competitors I imagine.
I've disagreed with them for dropping the 7.2x8.6......but they know their sales figures don't lie. Too bad for some of us because that was an awesome prop for .40-.50 speed projects.
Their selection of 1/2A props is pretty awesome considering how few 1/2A flyers there are.
DD...I admire your sense of ''fiscal restraint''..the solar power system doesn't have to pay dividends right away...it is more of a rainy day investment the way I look at it. A day might come when those systems are worth twice their weight in gold.
Fred Bergdorf is pretty smart, from my experience, he doesn't get a lot of input from competitors other than what size props they think might be the way forward and he goes and makes them. It's why we have umpteen electric pylon props in the 4-5" range when for sport flying 3 would suffice. He was a lot of help with Sp400 and F5D.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.