Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Helicopter Fetches Plane for Lucky Kid.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Helicopter Fetches Plane for Lucky Kid.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:53 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helicopter Fetches Plane for Lucky Kid.

Ya just gotta love this! I saw it and immediately thought about ya'll.

http://www.flixxy.com/helicopter-pil...-from-tree.htm

Enjoy,
Milton
Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Helicopter Fetches Plane for Lucky Kid.

Thinking about gettin urself a helicopter there MIlton?...Rog
Old 04-04-2013, 07:32 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Probably gonna need one to fetch planes outta trees pretty soon. I'm planning to do a little stick bending this year with my oldest grandson and my vision ain't what it used to be.[] The new glasses will help but I gotta get used to 'em.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Huh??!! What?? Faith and Begorrah. An apparition has returned from the dark ages. Could it be or am I just being delusional again - it's getting harder to tell nowadays.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 AM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: Andrew
An apparition has returned from the dark ages.
Aww now, it ain't that bad! I've been here on & off checking up on yuse guys.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 PM
DeviousDave

FWIW Dickeybird, I took a few lessons in an R22 like the chopper in the video this summer... If the zombie apocalypse were to happen today with just a chopper to save the both of us, chances are we'd both die on the ground that day. Once you get the hang of it it ain't bad but how they can call something that twitchy a 'trainer' is beyond me. I fly an airplane pretty well, but a chopper is even a PITA to learn to fly straight and level. They don't fly like the models, that's for sure-you pull the collective in a forward climb and they roll over on their back!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:28 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

The video was also posted on YouTube and on RCUniverse earlier, either this or late last year. Oh, I guess it takes some special skills to be a chopper pilot. My son bought me one of those indoor 3 channels electric hellemecopters for Christmas, it's been a blast to learn to fly in the confines of the living room.

Gottah hand it to the pilot and co-pilot though. To have a plane rescued and no less with as little damage as possible seems a miracle. Glad there are still good Samaritans out there who are willing to lend a hand where they can, who can do it safely without compromising their safety or the safety of others.

They may be far and few between, but they still exist.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 PM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice thread on it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post23172431

the instructor (guy in the left seat with the colorful language) should be banned from flying anything other than paper airplanes. extremely stupid thing to do. seeing as how some of his other vids of even stupider stuff have been blocked or taken down i assume (and hope) the FAA is already on his ass.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

nice thread on it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post23172431

the instructor (guy in the left seat with the colorful language) should be banned from flying anything other than paper airplanes. extremely stupid thing to do. seeing as how some of his other vids of even stupider stuff have been blocked or taken down i assume (and hope) the FAA is already on his ass.
I'll bet you're a riot at parties...
Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 PM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT nice thread on it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post23172431

Why such a pessimistic view, Zagnut? What is it that the pilot did wrong? Yes, he used some foul language. Some people are like that. But he certainly didn't mean harm. He was careful to not crash the copter and they determined it was safe (light or no winds, good weather, location of plane in the tree was readily accessible, field was clear to safely land, etc.).

He obviously kept his helicopter in a good state of repair, so he could be confident to do such an act without harm.

Now there are some people who shouldn't chew gum and walk, but in this case he pulled it off extremely well. If one were a former type, then I'd be deeply concerned.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:46 PM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

Why such a pessimistic view, Zagnut? What is it that the pilot did wrong? Yes, he used some foul language. Some people are like that. But he certainly didn't mean harm. He was careful to not crash the copter and they determined it was safe (light or no winds, good weather, location of plane in the tree was readily accessible, field was clear to safely land, etc.).

He obviously kept his helicopter in a good state of repair, so he could be confident to do such an act without harm.

Now there are some people who shouldn't chew gum and walk, but in this case he pulled it off extremely well. If one were a former type, then I'd be deeply concerned.
he put his student in danger, he then put those guys on the ground in even more danger by having them farting around under the rotor with their dog running around unleashed.

but it's all good because he "pulled it off"...how would people view him if just one of any number of things out of his control were to go wrong resulting in 2 deaths? and yes, there were many things that could have gone wrong in the treetops and any one of them would mean certain death in that heli.

here's another pilot doing crazy stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFtW00t9geo

the difference? this is their job, they are putting no one but themselves in danger, and if they did go down there is a very good chance they would walk away from it because of the correct choice of machine for the job at hand....that being said i believe that pilot did eventually die in a heli crash...
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 AM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT he put his student in danger, he then put those guys on the ground in even more danger by having them farting around under the rotor with their dog running around unleashed. but it's all good because he ''pulled it off''...how would people view him if just one of any number of things out of his control were to go wrong resulting in 2 deaths? and yes, there were many things that could have gone wrong in the treetops and any one of them would mean certain death in that heli.
For one, I think you are assuming too much. Apparently those folks including the spectators were familiar with helicopters. This is in a rural setting, so it is acceptable for dogs to run loose. For all you know, the land might have been owned by the dog's master. So, let's talk model planes and not side topics. This is my last conversation on this matter.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 AM
ZAGNUT

not talking about some urban leash law...unrestrained dogs have been known to "attack" tail rotors and with a light heli that could cause all kinds of bad things to happen, you did notice that he didn't throttle down after landing, right?

simple fact: pilots who rely on luck don't last long in helis.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:50 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

the instructor (guy in the left seat with the colorful language) should be banned from flying anything other than paper airplanes. extremely stupid thing to do.

Agree. The pilot took an unnecessary chance to rescue a toy. It's different if lives are at stake. 

All it would have take was a little slug of water into the engine, or a mag quit, or a fuel pump, and he would've lost tail rotor effectiveness, spiraled into the ground and gawkers below. A real Darwin Award candidate. I was in a Bell 47 on a sightseeing trip at the local airport when the engine-driven pump quit, the pilot had his hands full. Got us in ok, but we lost altitude and had some serious tail-waggin' going on while he got things in order. 
Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

he put his student in danger, he then put those guys on the ground in even more danger by having them farting around under the rotor with their dog running around unleashed.

but it's all good because he ''pulled it off''...how would people view him if just one of any number of things out of his control were to go wrong resulting in 2 deaths? and yes, there were many things that could have gone wrong in the treetops and any one of them would mean certain death in that heli.

here's another pilot doing crazy stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFtW00t9geo

the difference? this is their job, they are putting no one but themselves in danger, and if they did go down there is a very good chance they would walk away from it because of the correct choice of machine for the job at hand....that being said i believe that pilot did eventually die in a heli crash...
Pardon the pun, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you probably have never been in a helicopter in your life. Am I right?

Assuming relatively calm conditions (which they were BTW), there was no danger in what he did. He checked his tail rotor clearance and that was about all he had to worry about. I'm going to bet you a dollar that the pilot is former military (most chopper pilots are, it's $400 an hour to train) and he's perfectly comfortable doing what he did. Flying in trees is part of the cost of doing business for these guys.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:34 PM
ZAGNUT

i've flown in at least a dozen different types from the R22 up to the sea stallion. over 100 hours in various 500's and around half that in 206's, know pretty much all the operating and emergency procedures in both and could solo in either if i ever had to.

Flying in trees is part of the cost of doing business for these guys.
just because something is acceptable during combat doesn't mean it's OK for a civilian training flight....most EL-AL captains were military pilots, does that mean it would be OK for them to buzz treetops with a commercial 747 like they did in a C-130?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:25 PM
eddieC

Assuming relatively calm conditions (which they were BTW), there was no danger in what he did. He checked his tail rotor clearance and that was about all he had to worry about. I'm going to bet you a dollar that the pilot is former military (most chopper pilots are, it's $400 an hour to train) and he's perfectly comfortable doing what he did. Flying in trees is part of the cost of doing business for these guys. 

A lot of ASSuming going on there. 

My bud is an ex-Army AH-64 Apache instructor. They train for nap-of-the-earth at 100 knots using NVGs (night-vision goggles). He viewed the video and thought the stunt idiotic. 
Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 PM
DeviousDave

i've flown in at least a dozen different types from the R22 up to the sea stallion. over 100 hours in various 500's and around half that in 206's, know pretty much all the operating and emergency procedures in both and could solo in either if i ever had to.

Flying in trees is part of the cost of doing business for these guys.
just because something is acceptable during combat doesn't mean it's OK for a civilian training flight....most EL-AL captains were military pilots, does that mean it would be OK for them to buzz treetops with a commercial 747 like they did in a C-130?
Flown In...

So you aren't a helicopter pilot. Got it.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 PM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

Flown In...

please remember what you posted:
...you probably have never been in a helicopter in your life...
nowhere did i ever state i am a pilot, most of the helis i've been in i was just along for the ride, no stick time whatsoever. can handle both the R22 and R44 just fine but won't go up in them anymore, way too many lives lost to them and when you see first hand blade delamination on a near new machine (less than 100 hours) it can make you nervous. most of my actual time at the sticks is in the 500 and 206 and while i don't have a piece of paper declaring i am a certified pilot i'm not complaining as i was actually paid for that time as opposed to paying for it.

have you ever been in an R22?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 PM
eddieC

i'm not complaining as i was actually paid for that time as opposed to paying for it. 

In order to be paid for flying, you must have a minimum of a commercial rating in the category and class of aircraft being flown. Sounds like you got to ride up front while at work and someone let you wiggle the sticks a bit, which is a lot different than having been formally trained. Ever performed a full-down auto?
Just diggin' yourself a hole now, you might want to quit while ahead. There are lots of Robinsons flown successfully every day, they have a fine reputation. 

You do qualify for a stay at a Holiday Inn Express, tho.   
Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 AM
ZAGNUT

not just stick wiggling, made the best of the time i had to be in the air by learning to fly the things which as i stated before means learning all the emergency maneuvers. often got to accompany pilots who were new to the type to make sure they stayed out of trouble. coulda, woulda, shoulda have taken it more serious and gone for a CPL but along came a wife and children....

and on the robinsons: go look into how many blade failures there have been over the years and how the manufacturer handles it.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 AM
eddieC

often got to accompany pilots who were new to the type to make sure they stayed out of trouble.
Now that's funny! Ego, party of one, your table's ready.
I've had passengers like you up front, geniuses on MS Sim. Believe me, you don't know what you don't know. Did you log any of this 'time'?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:03 PM
ZAGNUT

for sure most pilots i was paired with had probably forgotten more than i ever knew, but most of the new ones did need a bit help when starting out.

and i was crew, not passenger. pretty sure that today the "crew" also has CPL.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:30 PM
eddieC

Zagnut, this guy might have needed your 'expertise':

NTSB Determines Probable Cause In Fatal Medical Helo Accident In Missouri

Cites Poor Decision Making In Departing With Critically Low Fuel Level

A pilot's decision to depart on a mission despite a critically low fuel level as well as his inability to perform a crucial flight maneuver following the engine flameout from fuel exhaustion was the probable cause of an emergency medical services helicopter accident that killed four in Missouri, the National Transportation Safety Board said Tuesday. "This accident, like so many others we've investigated, comes down to one of the most crucial and time-honored aspects of safe flight: good decision making," said NTSB Chairman Deborah A.P. Hersman.

On August 26, 2011, at about 6:41 pm CDT, a Eurocopter AS350 B2 helicopter operated by Air Methods on an EMS mission crashed following a loss of engine power as a result of fuel exhaustion a mile from an airport in Mosby, Missouri. The pilot, flight nurse, flight paramedic and patient were killed, and the helicopter was substantially damaged.

At about 5:20 pm, the EMS operator, located in St. Joseph, MO, accepted a mission to transport a patient from a hospital in Bethany, Mo., to a hospital 62 miles away in Liberty, Mo. The helicopter departed its base less than 10 minutes later to pick up the patient at the first hospital. Shortly after departing, the pilot reported back to the company that he had two hours' worth of fuel onboard. 

Further, a review of helicopter training resources suggested that the accident pilot may not have been aware of the specific control inputs needed to successfully enter an autorotation at cruise speed."  -  Courtesy of Aero-news.net

Zagnut, if you weren't a trained and required flight crewmember, you were a passenger, simple as that. What exactly was the function for which you were being paid? I'll bet mechanic, loadmaster, crew chief at most? It sounds like you have zero flight time or instruction logged, yet you have the brass to say you would help a qualified pilot 'stay out of trouble'. 

What exactly was your function on the 500, 206 and CH-53?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

Flown In...

please remember what you posted:
...you probably have never been in a helicopter in your life...
nowhere did i ever state i am a pilot, most of the helis i've been in i was just along for the ride, no stick time whatsoever. can handle both the R22 and R44 just fine but won't go up in them anymore, way too many lives lost to them and when you see first hand blade delamination on a near new machine (less than 100 hours) it can make you nervous. most of my actual time at the sticks is in the 500 and 206 and while i don't have a piece of paper declaring i am a certified pilot i'm not complaining as i was actually paid for that time as opposed to paying for it.

have you ever been in an R22?

Yes.... Just like in the video. Taking lessons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.