Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Va .049

Old 03-11-2014, 09:47 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the SIG 35% and add their castor. Think it is 3oz per Quart and it comes out being 23% oil around 30% nitro..
Old 03-11-2014, 09:52 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
Interesting that you don't think castor is needed on the Norvels. I usually put 3 oz. in most to my purchased fuels. I really am not a believer in castor, but use it anyway ;-) Anyway, the reason Sig fuels may work better than your other mixtures may be because the nitro is often shipped with a 50 - 50 mix of methanol because of regulations. Depending on sources, this may not be figured into the mixture? Possibly.
SIG would know this, they would get pricing and issue a purchase order had they not known exactly what they were buying. Plus it would be shown on the incoming paperwork with the shipment (the product code itself, the QC paperwork, the MSDS, etc.). I can't imagine them making this mistake.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 PM
aspeed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Sig would know more than anyone, because I believe there was a train fire on a shipment that was delivered to them. That changed the rules for shipping. Many moons ago. I am sure they work it into their formula because it does work well. Other companies may not know depending on their suppliers. I think the Chinese stuff may actually be more pure. Drag racing guys may have the better stuff? Not sure how it could be checked, Specific gravity?