Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Gloves that work for small RC?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Gloves that work for small RC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 04:39 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gloves that work for small RC?

I found the first pair of gloves that have ever allowed me to prep, fuel, start, needle, launch and fly a 1/2A or smaller model without exposing bare flesh. I flew the foamie Sparrow Hawk/TD .020 on Sunday in sub freezing temp (not a lot under but it was under..) and I was amazed.. never had to take them off, even to needle the engine.

It's the little things..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grease-Mo...-030/202709681
Old 12-22-2014, 05:10 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That's a great price, too. I'll have to look for those.
I picked up a pocket hand warmer made by ZIPPO that uses regular lighter fluid. It doesn't have a flame. The fuel cell is full of a spongy synthetic material that soaks up the lighter fluid and there is a catalytic element that consumes the fuel gradually. Once this thing is lit, it doesn't go out. Filling it is a PIA that requires patience.
The heater cost $13 and it's about the same size as a wallet.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I like the gloves, wonder how they would be for motorcycling. At that price, certainly worth the esperiment.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:31 PM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar pair. OK for flying but SUCK for motorcycling. My hands kept sliding out of the gloves holding the throttle. I figured they would work because of the grip on the outside, Sure, the glove stays on the throttle, but your hand isn't in them. Only way around was a death grip on the bars until they cramp up. So I just ended up riding bare hands and freezing. Was about 150 miles from home at 3am. There is a reason we have been using leather for 100 years
Old 12-22-2014, 08:04 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep. Understand that.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:08 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are bare minimum for warmth - just enough. But they made all the difference in the world in in the conditions last weekend anyhow. My starting bench was a 24" snowball with a groove for the fuselage, and an inverted pair of pliers forming a "Y" shaped saddle to pin the wing at the LE root. Man is the TD .020 a different animal than the Pee Wee - handles so well. I want more.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good samples show up on ebay all the time.
I recomend the aluminum carb body and rear back plate mod aids in cooling although thats not a problem at the moment.

Here is a nice mod using the GMark .030 engines muffler. I need lil throttled carb body to finish out this one.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-03 23.49.27.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	2057157  
Old 12-23-2014, 03:49 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went to Home Depot today for the gloves. $6.97 down here, not $4.97. I guess I am too big for the Xlarge. Sorry about the snow there, we are still good down in the balmy south.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always had good luck with knit fingerless gloves with Nitrile latex type gloves underneath. They latex in non permeable so they don't breath and heat up quick. They are nice and thin so you don't loose much feel for switches, needles, sticks etc.