Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

To the Carolina Crew

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

To the Carolina Crew

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 05:03 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To the Carolina Crew

Most of you guys remember meeting my son at some of the gatherings back in the day.
This weekend I watched him back out of the driveway on his first solo trip behind the wheel.
What the heck happened! Where did that 16 years go? It seems like only a few months ago he was sitting on my shoulders as I was flying my planes around.
You guys must be getting OLD!!!
Old 04-08-2015, 07:36 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Vic..congratulations for reaching that milestone..!
I let Charlie take my Pro Street Vega out for a spin when he was 14 and he was not content to just keep it to just the local rural road. He took it all the way to Interstate 5 and was gone for almost an hour.
I thought I was going to have "The Big One".
Old 04-08-2015, 07:57 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Vic, I got two grand kids older then your son! It's scary when they start driving, and worse still when they have a wreck! And then when you think back at the dumb things we did at that age, it makes your blood curdle! Somehow God looks after fools, and children. Thank goodness.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:11 AM
vicman

I don't even want to think about him doing half the stuff I did in cars let alone the bikes I rode.
About three years ago I got my first bike back and running again 73 CB 750. It was pretty much set up to run 1/4 mile and anything the street could throw at it from the mid 70s. I rode the devil out of that thing as a kid! Similar to Charlie but I didn't ask. When my parents were gone, so was I...at 14. In my wildest dreams, I can't imagine Spence riding that thing.
I called my mom and asked her what kind of parent she was letting me ride that and the others when I was a kid. She said "we had no choice! You were a different kid and did what you wanted with that stuff". When I told her about him taking his first solo, she ribbed me asking "how do you think I felt watching you ride out of the driveway making that trip to North Carolina?".
I took a two week trip from Michigan to NC at 18. Guess I'm not winning "Son of the year 1986" huh?

Really the shocker for me was how fast this time went by. Getting my license was right up there with getting married as a pivotal moment in life that took forever to happen. Sure went quick for him!
Good to see you guys are still kicking.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:00 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am with ya Vic... my Nathan will be 15 in September and is anxious to start Driver's Ed class. The other day he said, "Dad, I like that car over there in the other lane" ... a 2014 Honda Accord. Mom and I just laughed. You will be getting today's equivalent of a '71 Grand Marquis as your first car was our response.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:16 AM
vicman

Honda Accord is almost a reasonable request considering all the Supra, Porsche, Eclipse, and Bugatti stuff I've been hearing for a year...Oh yeah, there is some supercharged Cadillac STS thing he is gushing over too.
Thankfully he is content to drive an 05 Ford Taurus with 220k on the clock and doesn't want anything to do with my ugly blue truck.

Your kids ought to be over 6' tall by now right?
Spence is about as tall as Raymond...

Last edited by vicman; 04-13-2015 at 04:18 AM. Reason: bad spellar
Old 04-13-2015, 04:44 PM
av8rsodt

A 2005 Accord would be much more reasonable $$ wise. N8 is also thinking a Ford Ranger since I had one for so long.

Yes, N8 is a bout 5'9" now, sprung up over the last year. I know he is getting close to my height very quickly.

If Bob is having the Vintage fly in this year you should bring Spence out this year. My boys would love to catch up with him.

Brian
Old 04-16-2015, 06:58 AM
vicman

I figured he would be stretching out soon.
A boy and his pick-up is a beautiful thing. I've always owned one but can't talk Spence into it. Guess he figures as long as I'm around he doesn't need one.
Don't know what Bob is up to lately. I talked to him on the phone a few months back and he didn't mention doing a fly in this year.
I'm kicking around whether I'll do a Speed Rally this year. Work and fam stuff is keeping me pretty busy lately. I have to steal time to get out and fly the last two years or so. I had a good time doing Sunday though.
I'll ping you if we have any events this year.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:59 AM
av8rsodt

I hope Bob is able to pull the Vintage Fly-In or something else together.... well worth it to do some flying and catch up with friends of the Carolina Crew and others. Yes, let me know if you hear of anything.

We are hoping to make it it Little Rock, AR again this year for SMALL. Always a great time and it appears as though we will have several airplanes in tow. My sons and I have made this our annual "guys only" tradition.

Brian
Old 04-16-2015, 09:33 AM
vicman

That's a pretty cool tradition. I have taken both kids on solo trips and we always have a great time.
I'd really like to make it up to the NATS one year. I made it to the last indoor in Johnson City and had a blast, winning the Pro-Am may have had something to do with it.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:07 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Well its good to hear from everyone!! Yep, I hope to have the Vintage Fly in in the fall as the Old Julian Airport has been sold and a new much better one is in construction as we speak. Bathrooms with showers, a few buildings on site large enough to be pits in case of rain. 400 ft of paved runway, etc!!! Just waiting for everything to be finished!!!

Bob
Old 04-21-2015, 05:48 PM
av8rsodt

Bob- Exciting news on the "New"Julian Airport. I am sure Mike and his son will do an awesome job. Can't wait to see it in the Fall.

Brian