Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Mccoy .049 needle valve

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Mccoy .049 needle valve

Old 11-30-2015, 01:08 PM
jsesere
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mccoy .049 needle valve

I need a needle valve and receiver. Mine broke off inside the receiver.
Thanks Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2133267   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	663.2 KB
ID:	2133268  
Old 11-30-2015, 04:51 PM
Tom Nied

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it would be easier to find a used engine on ebay with a needle valve intact. Otherwise try to find some group of collectors of McCoy engines to find that part. You'd be better off with a Cox .049. But then I would understand if you're making this a "project" just for fun.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:19 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Cox forum has some folks there that use the vintage engines.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:06 PM
aspeed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might find something useable here http://www.texastimers.com/ A remote needle could be used too, just get the remnants of the old needle out, and solder, or plug up the hole.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:26 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Wen-Mac/McCoy parts are just about impossible to find so unless you get lucky and find someone willing to part with a NIB assembly I'd suggest using a needle and spraybar from a Cox "product" engine. The brass spraybar can be pressed out of the plastic back plates quite easily. Then you just need to play with some way to hold it in the McCoy crankcase. Hopefully it press fits right in. Otherwise you may need to play with one or more of the industrial adhesives such as Loctite.

One engine I did in this way had a hole which was too large. I soldered a "flange" made from a wrap of copper wire to one side, inserted the spray bar then soldered a second flange on the other side of copper wire. Along the way I also filed a notch or two into the face of the carb body so the solder could flow into it and key the spray bar in place. A little smear of RTV rubber over the joints after cleaning the flux away acted as a seal. That was back in my teens and the engine is long gone now. But it worked well for quite a few flights until some wind tipped the model into the circle and it hit a nasty rock in the ground and busted the engine to pieces.