Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Long time, no fly but itís about time to go to S.M.A.L.L. & have some fun!

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Long time, no fly but itís about time to go to S.M.A.L.L. & have some fun!

Old 03-29-2016, 10:42 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long time, no fly but itís about time to go to S.M.A.L.L. & have some fun!

Iíve been away from the hobby for a long, long time. Iíve been away mainly because my long-time flyiní buddy Brian Pate died suddenly in 2007 & I lost all desire to build & fly. After that I took up home shop machining as a hobby and that turned into a part-time obsession & side job & then BOOM! My body said ďLetís see how you like this [email protected]!Ē & this past November 1[SUP]st[/SUP] I had a hemorrhagic stroke in the pons area of my brain. Lost the use of my right hand, right leg, most all of my balance & my speech sounded like I had a mouthful of 30% nitro/25% castor!

Thank goodness & the wonderful therapists that I worked with, those functions have all returned to proper operation...all but the last 2% or so that is. I fatigue easily, I Ďm clumsy as heck & I get tongue-tied at times. Hopefully those things will get better with the passage of time. They say it takes a year for things to get as good as theyíre going to get.

Enough of the moaning & complaining already! I need some info about the new radio gear & some general updating of what I need to do to get back to flying.

A young flying buddy from the 80ís & 90ís (a wicked-clever young teen back then that now builds & flies his own full scale designs and is also an MD-11 captain for FedEx) dropped by couple months ago & gave me a Hobby King Mini DLG glider & some stuff to go with it. He heard about my stroke & thought chunkiní around a glider would be great therapy during my recovery. The thing is amazing; very well designed & built, regardless of its low cost. Even comes with micro servos pre-installed! Iím hoping to clean up one of my .010ís & build a bolt-on power pod for it. Looks about right to snatch the thing up to altitude easily.

Iíve slowly got it ready to fly but had to learn about lipos & getting the radio gear to work. He gave me everything but a Tx & Rcvr & helped me get some inexpensive stuff. Itís absolutely incredible how little this stuff costs nowadays. I finally figured out the 1S 300mah lipo/voltage booster and the ďOrangeĒ Tx & Rcvr well enough to get them bound together & working things in the correct directions.

Iím lost as to the correct protocol when flying with a bunch of other fellows. I bought 2 other ďOrangeĒ rcvrís to put into a couple of my old Ĺ A planes; do I ďbindĒ these after creating a new ďmodelĒ for each in the TX and just fly them whenever I want? Do I have to worry at all about frequency control like we had to back in the olí 72 mhz days? One needs only 1 TX to fly 10 different planes these days? I know these are not long-range rcvrs but I am installing them with one antenna leg vertical & the other horizontal as recommended. Should it be reasonably safe flying them close among a bunch of others?

Iím trying to see my way clear to get over to S.M.A.L.L. this year & do some flying & camaraderieíing but I donít want be ignorant of the rules. Iím assuming a valid AMA card & the entry fee is all Iíll need? What about this drone registration thing? Must I have that in hand too?

Ps: Sorry Ďbout the keyboard diarrhea thing; the stroke didnít affect that!
Old 03-29-2016, 12:02 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to hear you are feeling much better the hobby will help sooth the soul and repair the body.
Once you bind the RX to the TX you are golden you can fly worry free.
I have one antenna back and one facing forward in my NANO it has had no issues.
If you have AMA at a minimum, but to play it safe drone reg. is only 5 bucks..
Old 03-29-2016, 03:24 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DB, sorry to hear about your hardships but I'm glad to see that you were given more time on Earth to spend with us as we systematically blow up every last Cox engine that was ever produced.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:54 PM
TampaRC

I remember your posts from years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2016, 06:03 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Originally Posted by TampaRC View Post
I remember your posts from years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for remembering. Those were some of the most enjoyable days of my life. They say you can never go back but hopefully I can re-kindle some of the same joy & passion I had back then.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:30 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dickeybird:

FAA registration is required ONLY if you fly airplanes that weigh OVER 250 grams which is about 8.8 oz. Control line planes do not require registration either. Sounds like your planes are under 250 grams so just go out and have fun!

I refuse to register so I am restricted to 250 grams and under RC, or control line. Hoping to go to SMALL again this year, it's really worth attending. Kind of a 1/2A "free for all"! Cox powered stuff buzzing around all day! Control line, free flight, rockets, and rubber power too! All at the same time, everywhere!

Oh yea. Some guys bring electrics too.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:40 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Dickeybird - Glad to have you back my friend. I am anxious to see the Twin Lizzie fly as I have seen it in your build threads, in Flying Models magazine as a construction article and one time at SMALL a few years back (did not fly). I would also love to see your Gyrator fly - neat model. We sure have missed you both online here on RCU as well as in person at SMALL each year.

I plan on making it out again with the boys this year to SMALL. We are looking forward to it!

I think I speak for many of us on the topic of losing a good friend. It does take the wind out of our sails, especially when we share the same hobby. As Combatpigg mentioned, glad God allowed you to spend some more time with us here on earth. You have some more to teach, show and share with us before you go

Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lizzland3small.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	2157992  

Last edited by av8rsodt; 04-18-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:17 PM
Andrew

Well, Dickeybird, it's been a long time. Sorry to hear about your medical mishap, but really glad that you're on the mend. I haven't been to this forum in a long time, myself, but I'm glad to have stopped in and seen your post. There are still a few of the old guard around and CP seems to be holding the banner for most of us.

andrew
Old 04-19-2016, 10:05 AM
fredvon4

DICKEYBIRD

there are not any formal events at the S.M.A.L.L... no real contests, and as far as I can see the CD and crew are there to make sure everyone has a good time and is safe

FAA will not be there ...opinion

I already am AMA and free FAA but I bet all my planes in my car that not one soul there will ever ask me to prove that

I am going just to support, increase the stats from last year, and meet old friends and make new ones

I might fly some but truth is I am control line only guy and recovering from a very bad accident...not much unlike your right side issues

Bottom line...make the trip
Old 04-22-2016, 08:00 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep getting better. The membership has totally flipped at Propbusters, but it is sill a nice place to fly. New toys are always fun, but the old FM is still legal if its still in working order. The buddy I flew with moved off so I have been a little off flying. You need to find Jeremy Chinn and hook up with him and draw him back in the hobby.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:02 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Milton I remember you from 30 years ago,

Last edited by jetmech43; 04-25-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:23 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

DBird! Was in your town back in Oct, but only for like a day an a half, Nashville is no place to explore on your own, sorry to hear of your medical woes but glad you are recovering well...have fun at small, haven't flown myself for I think 7 years, building motorcycles is latest hobby...Rog