Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox .049 Glow Plug Adapter (from coxengines)

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox .049 Glow Plug Adapter (from coxengines)

Old 12-18-2019, 04:42 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cox .049 Glow Plug Adapter (from coxengines)

For a few years now I've been using the stock Cox glowheads almost exclusively in my reedies since I had a small surplus. But now I've burned through my supply and looking for a substitute. I'm wanting to pick up a few adapter heads as sold by coxengines (part#49ADAPT or part#49ADAGP with plug). They seem to be the most economical option for me at this time. They are priced cheaper overall than the Galbreath for example and also use the OS#8 plug available at every LHS on earth at any time whereas Nelson plugs tend to be a bit harder to find in a pinch. Anyways, I'm looking for input from those that have used these adapters. I plan on using them on reed valve bees in (a)nv mode and also with a (b)throttle ring and (c)throttle ring and muffler, all with the #8 plug.

Other than the expected loss of power and a few hundred rpms (which doesn't bother me) do these adapters perform decently? Do they idle well? Should I expect acceptable idle/progression in leisurely flying applications with relative ease of starting? Do they possess any big flaws?

And finally, since I have a whole bunch of #8 plugs already I'm leaning just towards the head itself (49ADAPT) but is the plug in the 49ADAGP combo a #8 equivalent or more like a #3? I ask because the description for the 49ADAGP labels the included plug as a "med-long" whereas the #8 is usually labelled as a "med" and based on a visual the #8 does seem 1 or 2 threads shorter than the plug in the 49ADAGP kit.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by meowy84; 12-18-2019 at 04:44 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-18-2019, 05:56 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best Cox engine plug adapter option uses easy to source turbo plugs for a quality sealed top end.
Rather than a loss in power this has produced more power than a Nelson plug adapter in my testing.
OS RP6 or RP7 will work with with a throttle sleeve.

https://kamtechnik.com/product/ktk-11/

Tee Dee .049 / Kamtechnik Turbo Plug Adapter / APC 4.2x4 Throttle Sleeve
23,578 rpm / 7.8oz thrust / .120 hp - 89w / 90 mph pitch speed OS RP7
2 head gaskets / 15% nitro / ACE NV / Throttle sleeve SPI / stock venturi.
25% nitro should hit 24k rpm.

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 12-18-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:53 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pond Skipper View Post
Best Cox engine plug adapter option uses easy to source turbo plugs for a quality sealed top end.
Rather than a loss in power this has produced more power than a Nelson plug adapter in my testing.
OS RP6 or RP7 will work with with a throttle sleeve.
Thank you for the info and the suggestion. While it looks like the kamtechnik setup would certainly be ideal (I'm really, really tempted to be honest), it's not currently in the budget. I'm asking how to best fix my Chevy and being told to buy a Ferrari. lol just kidding. I guess I should have mentioned I'm on a beer budget, and not even a Corona or Heineken budget, more like Keystone or draft at the local dive.

Let me put this another way: play money is tight right now, so my primary consideration for this experiment is economy while still maintaining acceptable operational parameters for the 3 setup scenarios I mentioned. The only thing I'm willing to compromise on in fact is the top-end power/rpm. I'm less willing to compromise on the mid-range throttleability and transition. If the coxengines heads are totally unsuited and don't agree with r/c setups then I'm out, but barring that... Anyways, in dollars and cents, I'm looking at it this way: I can pick up a coxengines adapter for $6.95 each (and use my free #8 plugs) versus $11.00 each for the kamtechnik and another $10.00-$12.00 each for the turbo plug. So to outfit 4 reedies will cost me $30 with coxengines but $90 with kamtechnik. If I have to bite the bullet and go with kamtechnik I might but I would rather go with the cheaper option at this time. Sadly you typically do get what you pay for. Still, I would appreciate some feedback/reviews of the coxengines setup.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:21 AM
Pond Skipper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No. 7 turbo plug for $9.92 - free shipping might be enjoyable for you to have one good setup.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hpi-Rac...sAAOSwwJ5dfksz
Old 12-21-2019, 12:37 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Galbreath head and Nelson plugs are probably the most economical. The head is $12 last I checked, and the plugs are $5 each. Kittingittogether.com

This is what I did for one of my AME .049s.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:35 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1QWK:

Still looking for adapters? I used to own a hobby shop and I’m pretty sure I have a few to spare. Can’t remember what plug they take but I think we could make a deal we both would like. Send me a pm if you are interested and I’ll see if I can easily lay my hands on them.

049flyer

Last edited by 049flyer; 12-22-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:58 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer View Post
1QWK:

Still looking for adapters? I used to own a hobby shop and I’m pretty sure I have a few to spare. Can’t remember what plug they take but I think we could make a deal we both would like. Send me a pm if you are interested and I’ll see if I can easily lay my hands on them.

049flyer
If you have an adapter or two that fit Nelson or Turbo plugs, I’d be all ears. My later model (pre-Revlite) AME came factory with a standard 1/4-32 short glow plug adapter. This is the engine I put the Galbreath head onto; but I also have a Zeus that needs an updated head since the glow heads are getting harder to find. So an adapter head may be in order for the Zeus.