Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Guillow RC surprise

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Guillow RC surprise

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 10:02 AM
SERCEFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guillow RC surprise

I recently found out that Guillow had 3 RC kits back in the 70's: a Cessna 170A, Bellanca Cruisermaster and a Piper Tomahawk! With all this talk about doing Guillow conversions, I thought it might be interesting to learn about Guillow's kits that were actually designed for RC.

Do any of you have experience with these models? Were they good flyers? Any kits still available? I'd love to get my hands on one of these.

Unfortunately, I heard that Paul K. Guillow , Inc. had a fire at some point, so they don't have old plans available. These kits are shrouded in a bit of mystery, I guess.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:53 AM
kdhanson

Default RE: Guillow RC surprise

I still have the Bellanca Cruise Master kit & plans. I built the kit almost 18 years ago but never got the R/C stuff installed. It stayed in the framework stage until succumbing to severe hangar rash. I still have the plastic parts and plans and was planning on resurrecting it using the latest microstuff. The wood, as I remember was typical Guillow's (heavy & hard). A scratch-build from lighter stock should make a decent flier.

I also built the Aerona kit they put out for a short time (the plans were in the Dec. '88 Model Aviation) by Woody Blanchard.

I will take some pics and post them later.

-Ken
Old 10-20-2003, 02:27 PM
Al Stein

I built the Tomahawk back when I was in school. It was a very nice kit... good clean parts that fit well and built up into a very good looking airplane. When I finished school, I sold the plane, so I don't knwo about flying characteristics.

I chose that plane because of its size and because of the memories I had from visiting the Piper plant and seeing them building the full-size plane. Unfortunately, I sold the plane and didn't keep the plans... I'd like to build a Tomahawk again, but I prefer to go it without a kit.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:25 PM
SERCEFLYER

Al,

If you ever get a hold of the plans for the Piper Tomahawk, we should do a swap. I've only seen pictures of a Tomahawk, but I'd love to scratch build one someday.

George
Old 10-21-2003, 12:49 AM
colmo-RCU

Hey George, I probably wasn`t even born when those kits were made. I`d love to see one, though. Take a look at the new pics I posted.

Colmo
Old 10-23-2003, 08:28 PM
colmo-RCU

Hey, George, you alive???

colmo
Old 10-28-2003, 05:16 PM
caster2
My Feedback: (8)

I built and flew the Tomahawk> It was covered in Monocote, and had a PAW .09 diesel. It looked great , very scale even with the film. It was way over powered, but when throtteled back it looked wonderful. It took a while to build as I remember. The real problem was modifiying the plans way of activating the elevator. There wasn't room to do what they reccommend so you must get creative if you want to keep it scale. But it is a worthwhile effort. It looks great, is mildly acrobatic. But be careful on the landing!! Because the elevator is high there is no prop wash and you lose elevator real fast. You need lots of elevator for landing.! I also built the 170a. Not much to say about that. Easy to build, very good flyer, but nearly impssible to keep from ground looping on take-off. You MUST reposition the gear to ROG......silas ( canon. 061 power)
Old 08-26-2007, 06:18 AM
salat
My Feedback: (4)

Hello!
I just bought Piper Tomahawk and going to build. I wish to use electric power. Tell me please what is approx. weight of airframe? What power it needs? Haven't seen it yet.
Thank you,
Kostya
Old 09-20-2007, 06:34 AM
salat

bump
Old 07-20-2008, 03:51 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realise how old this thread is but it sure would be nice to have all three of these kits!
I bet they looked good when finished. I also think the weight could be much less than indicated in the ad if some attention were paid and some wood substitution as well.

Has anyone recently tackled one of these?

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88711.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	994167  
Old 07-20-2008, 04:11 PM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Bellanca Cruisemaster looks like something Keith Laumer would design on a bad day... like one where he left Ambassador James Retief dangling from a cliff with only a sentient Francophile pterodactyl to negotiate with for his rescue.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:05 PM
salat

There were anpther R/C kit from Guillow's. Electric Aeronca. W/S 67.75". I got one and building
Old 07-20-2008, 06:12 PM
build light

Never knew of a Guillow's model that big. Must be something special.

How about the Piper Tomahawk? How did it turn out?

Robert
Old 07-20-2008, 09:11 PM
salat

I have not finished it yet. Here progress: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855072

Kostya
Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Thomas B

I built and flew the Piper Tomahawk, with an OS .10 R/C....not the FSR, the older normally ported lighter version. Was a decent flyer.

I think I have a Bellanca kit stashed away, but have not seen it for a few years....wonder where it is?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:32 PM
build light

ORIGINAL: salat

I have not finished it yet. Here progress: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855072

Kostya
Looks very good from what I have seen. Did you make the lightening holes in the fin and rudder? Good for you if you did and good for Guillow's if they did but i do not think Guillow's did that.

One of the persons that posted on your thread Said that it was not important to save a gram here or there. It really is!
It is much easier to save 20 grams (on a model of this size easily more than 20 grams) than to try to take 20 grams off once the plane is finished! Ask anyone! For one to try and reduce 20 grams or more gfrom a finished model normally requires major work trhat most are not willing to do.

To help save weight, use Doculam for covering as it is 0ne third the weight of Monokote.

I think of the three kits Guillow's produced in this series the Piper Tomahawk has to be the sexiest!

Robert
es
Old 07-21-2008, 11:12 AM
salat

ORIGINAL: build light

Kostya
Looks very good from what I have seen. Did you make the lightening holes in the fin and rudder? Good for you if you did and good for Guillow's if they did but i do not think Guillow's did that.

One of the persons that posted on your thread Said that it was not important to save a gram here or there. It really is!
It is much easier to save 20 grams (on a model of this size easily more than 20 grams) than to try to take 20 grams off once the plane is finished! Ask anyone! For one to try and reduce 20 grams or more gfrom a finished model normally requires major work trhat most are not willing to do.

To help save weight, use Doculam for covering as it is 0ne third the weight of Monokote.

I think of the three kits Guillow's produced in this series the Piper Tomahawk has to be the sexiest!

Robert
es

Thanks for kind words.
Yes, I did lightening holes. They are not by design.
By the way, I measured weight of wood in the kit and need to say that it was somehow selected. I mean there were no pound weighted hardwood at all and parts supposed to be light were of 7-9lbs wood, while those required more strength 12-14 lbs.
Covering is where I stuck now. Here I can not get any kind of covering film (have only some tissue from old kits). Is doculam is so good? How should I paint it? Or I can get anything better? I want to make mostly white paint scheme.
Thank you,
Kostya
Old 07-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

There were anpther R/C kit from Guillow's. Electric Aeronca. W/S 67.75". I got one and building
That reminds me, I have one of those Aeroncas! As I recall, it came "with motor"! (Probably one of those early brushed 300's.) I may have to open up the box and get going on that thing - with a brushless motor!

Cheers,
Dave Olson
Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 PM
speed20
My Feedback: (31)

Ive got a Cruisemaster kit hat I converted ( with much work) into a Bellanca Super Viking, which is a distant cousin of the Cruisemaster. With monocote covering, the plane is very scale like. It won first place in 1/2A scale at the 1980 Chicago RCHTA show. After all these years in the attic, it still looks great. Thinking of converting to electric from TD .049.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:23 PM
boberos

Guillows RC kits go a long way farther back than your discussion here.
How about the Lou Andrews designed "Trixter Beam" from 1953.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:47 PM
uavdb

I built the Bellanca Cruisemaster long ago, but never flew it. It went the way of the Dodo. I do have the Tomahawk in my stash and have considered building it....I even emailed Guillows asking then to re-release those three kits but predictably, they never replied.