Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Norvel's A6R AME .061 R/C vs similar sized engine

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel's A6R AME .061 R/C vs similar sized engine

Old 04-17-2004, 03:07 AM
JCaste

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel's A6R AME .061 R/C vs similar sized engine

Hi fellows!
I initially wanted to buy TT's GP-07, but they convinced me it's not the best engine. I've had a look at the A6R AME .061 R/C, at Norvel's webpage, and it sounds like a good deal. Any thoughs on this engine? A better engine of similar size? Comments, suggestions, regarding the Norvel? And just one more thing, what weigh or wingspan is suposed to move this engine (for a trainer-like and for a aerobatic model, if possible)?

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-17-2004, 03:27 AM
paulsen
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Norvel's A6R AME .061 R/C vs similar sized engine

I just ordered a norvel .074 It's the power of a .10 at less than half the weight .Norvel engines have the best power to weight ratio from all the research I have done including rc universe.The .061 ap wasp was my first choise because of the abc construction,until I learned the norvel .061 was very slightly lighter and had slightly higher rpm due to the all aluminum construction.Bolth are fine engines, but I choose the .074 I am designing a low wing floater around it.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:19 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts would also be, get a norvel .074rc. Light and very powerful and user friendly... with a functional carb.
The AME engines are very tight when new, so they are harder to break in.

J.M
Old 04-17-2004, 07:33 AM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have both engines, and I like them both a lot. I think that it depends on your intended use.

I had a Norvel .074 in a TT Scooter, and it was way too much engine for the plane. Throttling back the engine didn't produce satisfactory results. The Scooter is a lazy flyer and doesn't need much power. I took the Norvel out and put the GP-07 in.

I'm only saying that if you need the power, get the Norvel. If you are flying a lightly loaded plane that just wants to bore holes in the sky, get the GP-07.

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 04-17-2004, 11:00 AM
MikeSell

The .061 AME is designed for small props and high RPM usage. It will not make you happy on a large of slow flying model. We are told that the AME is less friendly to tune, I didn't really notice any real difference. The .074 is in a different ballpark. It is able to swing larger props or small props quite fast. It is more friendly to operate and tune. The muffler bolts on and is less messy.
Norvel .074 all the way..
Old 04-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Lynn S

Unless you are into speed, I don't think you would want an AME. I have two AP.061s and a Norvel .074. One thing about the AP I like, it has a real prop spinner/nut, not the the small head screw like the Norvel. The .061s do great on planes designed for Cox TD .049s, and the .074 for planes up to .10 size in power.
I have just finished my Ace Simple P-51, and have the AP .061 broken in and ready to install. I will be posting some pictures soon.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:09 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think the key here is that the 074 makes enough power to fly a much larger model than you think of usually being associated with small engines. You also need to bear in mind that wing area and weight enter the picture. Normally a 30 oz model would be considered as way over the top for these sized engines but on a powered 2 meter glider an 074 would haul it around at sport model speeds other than in a climb.

I set up a 6 foot span glider with an Enya 09 in the nose one time and you would not believe the shenanigans it would do. Yet that was not an equation for what most folks would consider an aerobatic sport model.

So if you want a lazy slow flying model consider at least a 50 inch span lightly made model. And it's fair to say that if a lot of balsa sticks and open covered areas don't scare you then an Old Timer free flight'ish design converted to 3 channels will be good up to a 60 inch size.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:07 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the ame respond well to the 'texaco treatment'?
That is, lots of head shims and a big prop.

I have on nos ame .061 rc, the pre-revlite type, and was hoping to use it in a herr cessna 180, but I gather the ame is not great on fat-bodied models like the Herr.. would be more at home on a profile mustang or the like..

I was looking for a big-mig .061 rc but the world was out of them a while back..
Old 04-19-2004, 11:12 AM
MikeSell

Port timing and volumes to not work well in low RPM use. Kinda like a ferrai engine in a tractor, just reduce the compression.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:06 AM
JCaste

Thanks for the input guys!

It seems the .074 is more versatile, I think I'll go for this one, it's cheaper and weighs almost twice as the AME .061, but that's very light still. Just one more thing... The plugs for the Norvel .074 can be bought from other brands (OS, rossi...)? What is the model number for those plugs (just to ask my LHS if they have them in stock)?

Thank again!
Old 04-20-2004, 06:11 AM
Japanman

Jcaste,
sorry, the plugs the norvel engines run are made only by norvel, so order a couple when you order your engine. I have read of a lot of people runng thier engine on the plug they bought with the engine for a year! And that is my experience too- so long as you don`t use huge amounts of nitro or fuel known to foul the plugs, they should last a long time. I ran my norvel .061 on it`s origional plug for about a year or more. maybe 40flights? I don`t know, but a lot!

J.M
Old 04-20-2004, 09:20 AM
MikeSell

I have over 16 hours on one plane with the original glow. The .074 is only 1/2 oz heavier tan the.061 not twice the weight.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:42 AM
Twanger

Hi Guys, I got confused about which Norvel small engine to get, so I got all of them! An AME .049, Big Mig .061, and .074. I use the .049 and .061 interchangebly in a Herr Piper Cherokee. I pretend that the .049 is a Lycoming 0-360 Four banger, and the .061 is the Lycoming 0-540 Six banger. The .074 stays on my Schoolgirl. I pretend that she is either a Pitts or an Ag Cat, depending on the throttle setting. I do stunts for a while and then dust crops for a while kind of like a little kid with a toy. It puts a smile on my face.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:14 AM
JCaste

Hi again,
I've reading some other posts and found out some acid critics on Norvel engines, when I was about to buy a BigMig 0.74 (for all-around use, so I discarded the AME).
Can I trust those engines, or they are just cheap, poorly made powerplants? I've visited norvel.com and there appears to be a glow plug adapter, would that allow me to use standard short plugs?

Thanks!
Juan
Old 10-15-2004, 05:36 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

The Norvels are good running engines. I have had three of them and have had good luck with all three. However, if you don't mind spending the money, the VA .049 RC may be worth looking into. I am about to buy one and have heard nothing but good about it. They run about $70 from Kittingittogether.com.

Brian
Old 10-15-2004, 06:53 AM
Japanman

I would not say that a norvel is poorly made. I remember quite clearly getting my first norvel about 5 years ago and being blown away by the quality of it. I imagine you will feel the same when you see one-
one thing that has not been mentioned here is that the norvel plated piston and cylinder is very robust- both to dirt and lean runs where as the tt I have read here of it loosing compression easily in a lean run.

I`d have to say the norvel all the way too from what I have read here.
But that said, don`t expect to use a standard electric starter with it or the rod can be bent in a trice if it is flooded.
And I have experienced a slightly over loose fit between the carb barrell and body.

But the norvel .074 never ceases to get good comments from people who use it here.

J.M
Old 10-15-2004, 07:17 PM
SST

I have 4 Big Mig .049s and 6 .074s. I want MORE. Great engines. Real jewels. Just don't use rubber bulb fuelers, as they flake rubber into the fuel and ruin the glow plugs. Use a syringe, and disassemble and dry it between uses.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:34 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

..and while you're shopping, look at the mpjet .061 at carlsonengineimports.com..
It's kinda heavy compared to the norvels.. but in the .061 displacement, there's not too much else 'cept for the chinese ap...
oh and the cs
Old 10-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Lynn S

Since this thread was first posted I bought a .049 Big Mig C/L and a .061 AME and love them both dearly. The .049 is great for 2 channel (aileron, elevator)flying, you would have to fly it full throttle anyway so you don't miss the throttle that much.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:23 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got several of each the Norvel .049, .061 and .074 engines in both AME and BigMig versions in the older ABC and the newer Revlite cyls and they all run great. My oldest one is 6 years old and still going strong; during the same amount of time I wore out an OS .40LA. They all use special plugs, but the plugs are less expensive than an OS #8 and often last a year or more. I also have a TT .07, but it is heavier and not very powerful compared to the Norvels. I think that the Norvel .074 is one of the best sport engines of any size. It has a good idle, lots of power for its size, it's reliable and it's inexpensive.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

They all use special plugs, but the plugs are less expensive than an OS #8 and often last a year or more. I also have a TT .07, but it is heavier and not very powerful compared to the Norvels. I think that the Norvel .074 is one of the best sport engines of any size.
There is an option of using the Galbreath head with Nelson plugs on the .049 and .061 -- I'm not aware of a similar option with the .074. I also agree with Andrew's assessment of the .074 -- it s is a fine engine.

the "other" andrew
Old 10-16-2004, 10:22 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

I have both engines, and I like them both a lot. I think that it depends on your intended use.

I had a Norvel .074 in a TT Scooter, and it was way too much engine for the plane. Throttling back the engine didn't produce satisfactory results. The Scooter is a lazy flyer and doesn't need much power. I took the Norvel out and put the GP-07 in.

I'm only saying that if you need the power, get the Norvel. If you are flying a lightly loaded plane that just wants to bore holes in the sky, get the GP-07.

Just my $.02

Bob
This exactly parallels my experience with the two engines. If you don't need the power as for an old-timer or other slow flying, floater type engine the TT .07 is probabaly the best bet. It is also far easier to breal in than the Norvel .074 and has the advantage of a conventional glow plug. For pure power, however the Norvel .074 is the way to go. I have had no problems with any Norvel . I think I have eight of them.

jess
Old 10-26-2004, 07:18 AM
JCaste

Hi guys,

I finally went towards the 0.074. I think I can always chop the throttle down if I need it, and I liked the TT GP-07 but some people told me it had some design flaws, so it's now kind of miraculous to find one here in Spain now.
I've bought a couple spare plugs too, but I wonder if I need anything else, such as head gaskets (the break in is said to need up to 3 of them to lessen the compression). is this right, should I buy extra gaskets or any other part?

Thanks again guys!
Old 10-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You could use the gaskets that came with the spare plugs.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:19 PM
jessiej

I had no break-in problems with mine right out of the box with no extra gaskets.

jess

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.