Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Pico Problem - need knowledge

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Pico Problem - need knowledge

Old 06-22-2004, 11:23 AM
DesignMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pico Problem - need knowledge

I just got a GWS Pico reciever. Lovely little thing.

However, there is a problem with it, an I haven't gotten a reply to my e-mailed question to the seller.

Specifically, the crystal doesn't seat down onto the board. It is up about 1/16", and feels very loose and unstable.

What to do?

Should it go all the way down? (the leads would have to extend beyond the bottom of the socket)

Should I trim the leads to the correct length, and then perhaps a drop of hot-melt glue to assure retention?

Should I return it as defective?

Super micro gear is new to me. The Feather reciever was regarded as the ultimate when last I flew RC.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Default RE: Pico Problem - need knowledge

Larry,

Is it a full range rx?

later,
Tim
Old 06-22-2004, 12:47 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Larry,

I assume the Rx you're talking about here is a GWS R4P? I use several of them, albeit in small electrics where the vibration levels are lower. I have seen the loose-fitting crystal you're describing, and my usual cure is simply to secure the crystal in the socket by means of a piece of scotch tape over the top of it. This has worked out just fine for me so far, but I'm not knowledgable enough about electronics to claim that this may be the best solution.

Matt
Old 06-22-2004, 01:12 PM
bsindel

Tim,

Did you get my PM?

Bill S (the other Bill)
Old 06-22-2004, 01:18 PM
BuzzardsFly

Be careful how you cut the leads, the shock generated from a normal pair of cutters is sufficient to damage or destroy the crystal.

Chris

ORIGINAL: DesignMan

I just got a GWS Pico reciever. Lovely little thing.

However, there is a problem with it, an I haven't gotten a reply to my e-mailed question to the seller.

Specifically, the crystal doesn't seat down onto the board. It is up about 1/16", and feels very loose and unstable.

What to do?

Should it go all the way down? (the leads would have to extend beyond the bottom of the socket)

Should I trim the leads to the correct length, and then perhaps a drop of hot-melt glue to assure retention?

Should I return it as defective?

Super micro gear is new to me. The Feather reciever was regarded as the ultimate when last I flew RC.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:38 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry, all of mine have been just the same way. I always wrap the reciever on the crystal end with clear tape to stabilize the crystal and keep it from coming out. I've never liked the way they fit either, but with the tape in place, I have not yet had one come out or break.

BTW, if you are using the R4p, I would not suggest that you use it in anything other than a very light electric parkflyer, or something powered by a .020 or smaller. For anything larger, I think the increased risk of taking radio hits with this reciever outweighs any weight advantage it has.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:49 PM
DesignMan

Thanks for the warning on crystal shock and other ideas. I think that if I grip the lead in a pair of flatbladed pliers when I clip, there should be no transmitted shock.

An alternative might be to drill down through the connectors to let the leads extend? Any negatives to that one?

Or do you think the crystal "floats" to isolate it even more?

I am intending to use this in a Global Wattage Decathalon with a diesel converted Pee Wee or PAW .035 for power.

Tony Naccarato warned me that this is an incredibly touchy plane to fly if flown as an electric with standard harware. I figure to cut the weight from 16 ounces to about 11 by going with goo power.
That should make a big difference.

[8D]
Old 06-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

I use several of the R4P Rxs and, as others have already pointed out, the standard 'fix' with the Xtal is a piece of tape. I think I'd rather do that than clip the legs no matter any urge for neatness. As you yourself brought up the miniature Xtal may need to 'float' to prevent damage from vibration, a factor that will be much emphasized with an IC engine.
That said I would be very hesitant about risking my much beloved PAW .03RC in a model with the little GWS Rx. The engines are now over the $90 mark and the Rx. are well-known to be subject to interference. As much a cheapskate as I admit to being I think in this instance I would pop for a better Rx. But that's just me. Tom
Old 06-24-2004, 11:10 AM
DesignMan

Cost was not the object in selecting this RX, it was the size and weight. I plan to assemble the Wattage Decathalon. Apparently it is a toad with electrics, and does seem to have "gas" construction. So, I figured to get the lightest equipment I could. Perhaps I will use my Feather RX instead.

Or is there something in that weight range that is especially good?
Old 06-24-2004, 11:20 AM
kdheath

Hey Larry,
I've looking for a rx for a little larger (.10 size) gas project, one that I can use both in heavier and lighter models. One that turned up, (and now I've lost the reference that got me to this one) is the Berg line. http://www.rc-direct.com/ I saw these highly recommended, but would like a little more feedback before making the plunge.
Our local light weight (model) guys swear by the FMA M5 as well. They sell on the street here for ~$50 and the LHS guy claims that they are perfectly fine even in giant scale planes.
These are the ones I will likely choose between. Any feedback?
Thanks,
Kelvin
Old 06-24-2004, 11:25 AM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry, the Feather is in exactly the same boat as the GWS R4p.

As mentioned above, the Bergs have proven to be good recievers, as well as the FMA5, and the Hitec Electron6.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:35 AM
kdheath

Larry, a quick search for "Berg AND receiver" turned up a number of posts echoing MA's above. Berg and the M-5 get a lot of support.
K