Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Radio setup

Old 07-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Iceman04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio setup

Im ready to get a 4 ch radio system for my 1/2 a pylon racer and im not sure which is the best setup. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2004, 03:25 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Radio setup

Well when it comes to radio systems you will get a number of opinions and suggestions. first of all I suggest you look through the radio fourm. This same question is asked frequently and theres alot of good info there. My personal opinion is you can't go wrong with Futaba radios. Hitec, Airtronics and JR also make excellent products. It all depends on what you want to do with the thing now and in the future. My suggestion is you get a good six channel radio. It will handle 100% your fixed wing flying needs for decades as long as your not going to get into Helis or 7-10 channel scale aplications (If you have these asperations then I have no credible advice as I don't know dink about either). The futaba 6EXA is a good radio at a good price. I got mine on Ebay NIB for $77.00( transmitter only) I didn't want or need the the rx or servos as they are essentially usless for small aplications. You can usualy get the whole system for around $150 on ebay or at your LHS for a few bucks more. You will however have to get a smaller fight pack for your 1/2A aplications , and save the big stuff your larger planes. The 6XEA has six model memory, duel rates, ch 5-6 gear- flaps, servo reverse, EPA, expo, mixing, etc. The one thing this radio is missing is expo on the rudder, not a huge deal for me but if you have a plane with a ton of rudder throw it can be sensitive.

My 2 cents.

Rrragman
Old 07-31-2004, 03:47 PM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rrragman pretty much summed it up. I'd like to add that a good radio if you plan to fly airplanes AND helis, without going too deep into expensive 7+ channel territory is the Futaba 6XS series. It's almost the same as the 6EXA except that it also has heli modes (though only one idle up but its good enough). These computer radios all have the great features like ATV's, dual rates, expo, flaperon, airbrake, gear, elevon, all the mixes, etc. 4 channel radios? Hitec Laser, flash, Futaba 4 channels are good, they are all pretty good.

Though, if you really want a radio that will do everything you could ever want, check out the Futaba 9C. I think you could get the TX only for under $300 at servocity.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:13 PM
t_kwink

I just ordered the new Futaba 7c. All the same great features and programming as the 9c, but in a 7 channel version. It also only requires a crystal to change chanels, while the 9c requires one of Futaba's expensive little modules. It was only $150 for transmiter only at servo city. I haven't received it yet, but I'm very excited!
Old 07-31-2004, 10:31 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JR makes a couple of 'lite' sets for small models, marketed for electric more than 1/2a but still, all you gotta do is add a rx pack.
For about 160 dollars they sell the five channel xf421ex with two micro servos and a micro rx.
It does not have a rx batt since they assume you will be putting into electric and using the motor batt bec.
The two servos and rec weigh less than an ounce total the ad sez.
The main hitch to that deal is the 421 tx only has two model memory.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Motta

My sugestion:
TX. Your choice (Programable).
Rx. Hitec 555
Servos. Hitec HS55
Bateries. NiMh 300 ma.

ThatĀ“s what IĀ“m use to race 1/2A Pylon.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:53 PM
WRX

Don't go cheap with the TX. Get yerself a good 6Ch JR or Futaba. Everything else is trivial.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:58 PM
WRX

This is the radio I got. Picked mine up for about the same price listed.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=44388
Old 08-10-2004, 04:44 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Motta

My sugestion:
TX. Your choice (Programable).
Rx. Hitec 555
Servos. Hitec HS55
Bateries. NiMh 300 ma.

ThatĀ“s what IĀ“m use to race 1/2A Pylon.
I'd plump for the FMA M5 or BERG receiver ahead of the Hitec. They cost the same but are smaller, lighter and much better at handling interference. Hitec needs to play catch-up with their PPM receivers.