Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

norvel glow plug

Old 08-01-2004, 09:08 PM
t_kwink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default norvel glow plug

Has anyone tried converting their Norvel AME to a regular short glow plug? I noticed they sell a head to do that. I was wondering how this would effect performance. It would be much easier to change plugs with the normal thread in stlye, but if it's going to hurt performance, I'm not going to bother.
P.S. I haven't received my engine in the mail yet, or I would experiment myself.

Wink
Old 08-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Motta

Default RE: norvel glow plug

With the normal plug you loose performance and many R.P.M.
Use the Norvel plug.

Racing from Mexico
Jaime Motta.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:22 PM
t_kwink

Thanks, just thought it was worthwhile to inquire. It sure would be easier.
Wink
Old 08-01-2004, 11:18 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Funny you should ask now. I just experimented with that last week. I thought the same as you... how nice it would be to be able to use regular glow plugs instead of having to use the head. But alas, the performance doth suffer. To the tune of about 2000 rpm in fact! While it was still enough to fly the plane quite well, (at 25oz), I noticed a substantial improvement when I switched back to the Norvel plug. I guess it just depends on whether you can afford the power loss and want the convenience.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:42 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The Norvel plugs last a long time and cost less than an OS #8 anyways.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:33 AM
Which_way_is_up

I wish the long life had been my first experience. I just got a chance to try and use my first (of two I bought) .061 engine last Friday and after the breakin I had only put on three flight with the engine before the plug was gone. All the shims (two) where left in the engine and I was running 25% nitro 20%oil 50/50 using a 5x3 prop. I could have lived with the blown plug but two flights later the engine bound up and not knowing much about these engines I just packed it up and went home for the day. This morning the engine is turning freely but there's about twice as much movement or play in the crankcase journal/connecting rod pivot as the second unrun engine. I was assuming that Friday's problem was at the journal since piston and connecting rod look OK? I'll have to go buy a couple more glow plugs just to try and run it again. Not sure if it's worth the trouble or if I should just box it up and send it back to Norvel for analyze and replacement? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Bipe Flyer

It sounds like you might have had a lean run.

If you think that there is something wrong with the engine then call SIG. They have excellent customer service.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apparently some have had good success with a Galbreath head and Nelson plug. I have not run either, but some of the speed guys may be able to comment on the performance.

[link=http://www.the-printer.net/DookCat.html#Nelson%20Head]Galbreath Heads[/link]

the "other" andrew
Old 08-02-2004, 04:37 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Which_way_is_up
I wish the long life had been my first experience. I just got a chance to try and use my first (of two I bought) .061 engine last Friday and after the breakin I had only put on three flight with the engine before the plug was gone. All the shims (two) where left in the engine and I was running 25% nitro 20%oil 50/50 using a 5x3 prop.
I blew my first Norvel plug after about 40 minutes running with 20% nitro and 20% oil (50/50 castor/coolpower synth) but since switching to all-castor lube my second plug has just kept going and going.

What synth lube were you using -- I gather there's some debate as to whether Coolpower adversely affects the Norvel plugs.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Bipe Flyer

Now that you mention it, I ran my first Norvel on Omega (Coolpower) castor/synth blend and the plug didn't last long. Since I switched to Red Max 20% castor the plugs have lasted as long as any standard plug does in a larger engine.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:51 PM
t_kwink

Thanks for all the input guys. I am still awaiting the arrival of my Norvel, but I bought a couple of extra Norvel glow plugs and a couple bottles of Norvel (Sig) fuel this weekend at the hobby shop. I would think this fuel would be acceptable. I noticed on the bottle that it is %18 oil, and uses Klotz lubricant. I thought Klotz was a synthetic. Is this possibly a bad choice of fuel?
Old 08-02-2004, 08:43 PM
crawf

Well, I have a regular plug in my Norvel .061. I am using it in a powered glider (an Electra converted to a Norvel).

I could not get the engine to run with the Norvel plug, because of the glow attachment I was using. I was using the same glow starter as I use on my 60 size aircraft. I run 25% nitro Norvel fuel.

The real challenge was getting the engine started the first time. I turned it over by hand about 200 times (really) by hand, with some fuel in it. I was trying to use a spring starter. In a fit of desperation, I used my starter, and it worked.

I am sure that there is less performance with a standard glow plug, as compared to the Norvel plug (I think the Norvel website says 20% drop). But if you are trying to simplify what you take to the flying field, and you don't need high performance, the standard glow works fine. Note: Using Fox plug w/ idle bar and 25% Norvel fuel.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:51 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: t_kwink
I noticed on the bottle that it is %18 oil, and uses Klotz lubricant. I thought Klotz was a synthetic. Is this possibly a bad choice of fuel?
It depends on the particular Klotz lubricant. Sometimes the lubricant in our fuels is all synthetic, a synthetic/castor mix or all castor. Klotz makes all three available to the fuel vendors. [link=http://www.klotzlube.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=KS&Category_Code=RC_PRODUCTS]Here[/link] is a description on the Klotz website of their different lubricants.

You may need to read the fine print on the fuel bottle to determine how the 18% oil is made up. I add Klotz BENOL, but most any good degummed castor (SIG's AA) will suffice if you want to raise the castor content.

the "other" andrew
Old 08-04-2004, 07:38 AM
Which_way_is_up

Hey guys, I appreciate your input on the castor/fuel observations. I wouldn't have thought that a syn/castor blend would cause plug failure but I'm going to the LHS and see if they're got any all castor fuel. Is the SIG fuel in the small bottles all castor? The fuel I was using was Richies Brew and I don't know what syn oil mix they use, just marked as 10/10. I've delayed sending the engine back for a couple of days so that I can give the engine another try since it's no longer binding. I'm going to take the two shims out and put the Galbreath head and Nelson plug combo on it and see how it runs. So many variables for someone that hasn't ever played with an engine this size.

The reason I got a couple of the .061 engines was to experiment with a "proof of concept" small version of a combat plane that I fly. The combat plane has a 64" WS and uses a 15 sized engine. It weighs 40 oz. It's for a combat class called SSC. So I sized down one to 48" and 26 oz for this .061. The flights that we did get went very well and the plane flew just as fast as the 15 sized version. Meaning that it was a success!

If I can I'll try and post a photo of the plane.

Old 08-04-2004, 04:23 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean its a 2 1/3 pound plane fully equipped?, is that all coroplast? hard to tell with the wing itself....looks cool...Rog
Old 08-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Which_way_is_up

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

You mean its a 2 1/3 pound plane fully equipped?, is that all coroplast? hard to tell with the wing itself....looks cool...Rog
Thanks, the 2 1/2 pound plane is it's big brother.

Specs on the plane in the photo,

Name - "Mini-Me"
Wingspan - 48"
Airfoil - modified Clark-Y
Wing material - 1.3lb EPP foam
Total dry weight - 26oz
Wingtips - 2m coroplast
Vert. & Hort. - 4mm coroplast
Fuel system - pressure bladder

After I get a couple more glow plugs for the engine I'm going to try and get some more test flights in this week.

Roy