Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A Special Interest Group/Organization

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A Special Interest Group/Organization

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 08:42 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/2A Special Interest Group/Organization

Guys, seems like we have a good bunch of fellows involved with the small stuff. I was thinking a while back that I am a member of the VRCS and IMAA and enjoy both organizations greatly but, there seems to be no Special interest Group SIP for the 1/2A stuff. One would think that with all the Cox engines out there we would be a majority! With the advances of smaller RC gear the full house 1/2A is no longer an oddity. Cost wise to the larger models is just a fraction. Would it be an advantage to centralize/organize our group in the future to promote the small models? Webpage? Newsletter? Just an idea I keep kicking around. What are your thoughts?

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 10-10-2004, 02:33 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Special Interest Group/Organization

Hi BOB! It's a nice thought, but this forum does as good a job of doing all the things that a news letter could do and then some. We have timely, up to the minute links to sales on equipment, unlimited sharing of ideas, nice pictures, and lots of onlookers who are window shopping and gathering opinions about our 1/2A cult. As far as promoting this segment of the hobby, or any other goes....I don't believe in it. It's like procelitizing religion, I know it's there [religion], if I want to seek it out, I will. For various reasons, 1/2A will gain popularity over time, right now there are alot of old school types who remember the "bad old days" of 1/2A and might be slow to realize how 1/2A has changed for the better, but the way I see it, if they get tired of what ever they are currently into now, they might check 1/2A out under their own power. I make the rounds on a 50 mile radius with 1/2A stuff, and it generates interest, but I am showing this stuff to guys with 90 sized FUNTANAS, GOLDBERG ULTIMATES, .50 sized 3D FUN FLIERS, Q 500 PREDATORS, DIAMOND DUSTS, etc. You get the picture, it's all very neat stuff, and to a large degree much more impressive than what I have to offer! I didn't mean to rain on your parade, but what you propose is something I was thinking about recently because I used to belong to a SIG , but decided to bow out and use the dues money for my dial up connection fee to get here!
Old 10-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,

I truely think that the great group of people here at RCU are only the tip of the iceburg!! Heck there is the small group on the other site eGroups or something that don't even know what they are missing here. Plus I am sure that there is tons of older fellows that don't use the internet at all. I agree that this forum is in fact the hottest 1/2a "site" that there is. I think we all know that. I was the only person I knew that was into 1/2a stuff till I found this site and this crazy group of guys here in NC. I never would have met you all without the internet. I think there is alot of knowledge to be shared between us 1/2a guys...yes even the ones that fly Norvels seem pretty sharp I have no interest in anything other than 1/2a. I flew 2meter and unlimited gliders before I moved to NC 10 years ago but they always had a 1/2a Cox in a Power pod on them. I love RCU but you never see an ad for anything 1/2a. I know that the ads pay the bills that keep this site free for the users but it would be nice to see a 1/2a only site. Just my 2cents.

Later,
Tim
Old 10-11-2004, 02:54 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, a quick search on Google for some 1/2A related stuff seems to turn up a total lack of sites dedicated to 1/2A modeling. Most of the queries that fit pointed HERE!

If there was a 1/2A specific web site that could act as a central point for information and event schedules that would be great. But a newsletter is a bit of a pain I suspect and requires money to run. Far easier to link to our 1/2A discussion here and perhaps the one over at "that other place". There and here are by far the only two discussion forums where I've seem much happening.

Bob, do you think the VRCs group would be interested in a 1/2A sig in that area? Goodness knows that there were enough small model options in years gone by! If they started one I think I'd join up.

But I think any efforts to develop a new discussion board would only dilute the community. And I'm not saying that as an RCU mod. We have a good strong community flow here and it's working. I truly think it's best for all to promote and strengthen what we have rather than dilute it with another option. But a SUPPORT site that provides technical information, history, FAQ's and can store plans for download would be wonderful. Some individuals have done some of this on their own but it's fragmented.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:01 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Ahh, I think I when I re-up this year for my site, that I'll be able to run two sites. I'll check into it. I agree about the dilution problem. I think a no fee site for storage,events and contacts is a good idea. If you guys agree then come up with a name. (half-a.org?)
Old 10-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I could host a site under one of my domains. There are free sites under http://communities.msn.com that allow pics, calendars, contact info etc.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Bipe Flyer

I just created an MSN group and uploaded a few things to give it a try.

It is at http://groups.msn.com/12Aalltheway

I don't know if everyone would like to use the MSN groups, but if it looks good then we could come up with a good name and stuff.

Edit:
I hope nobody thinks that I am just going ahead and taking over. I just created a test group for people to try out.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:41 PM
BMatthews

Bipe, is it possible to post up and hold plans files at MSN? While information is a major point I have a keen intrest in seeing a spot we can store plans as well.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Bipe Flyer

Yes, there is a document section. The catch is that you are limited to 3mb per person for free. A member can purchase more storage space though. It could be quite a resource space hog for someone if they were to host it on their own site with unlimited space for each member. Plus the site would need to be able to allow file uploads and editing of member information etc. I could do something like an expanded version of the contest site with the ability for members to create folders and manage their own files. I have already written a calendar component for an browser based training system that could be modified, but the whole MSN thing is just so darn easy.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:01 AM
ptulmer

Hey Bipe, If you don't mind helping with the html and stuff I can set up a second site. I've got 300mb space and about 30g transfer. Although, I may go with a better plan next time anyway.

What about a name? I'll start with my prior suggestion www.half-a.org
Old 10-12-2004, 09:30 AM
sturmvogel

I really enjoy 1/2A and drive the other guys in the clubs I'm in nuts. They're talking about their 50% CAPs and here I am with these little smelly 1/2A diesels and airplanes that weigh less than their engines!! Yeah, I like little airplanes, but I do occasionally indulge myself with a .46 powered "biggie". This site is golden, though, and more available than most SIGs. It must be that with all the money getting involved with these huge airplanes that only the cream is left in 1/2A!!!! This group is more interesting (and certainly better looking!!) than most. I do believe that there will be a migration back to our way of thinking as flying fields for big, noisier, expensive, airplanes force people to reevaluate what is most FUN...
Regards,
Bob Peterson
Old 10-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Bob,

I agree! To each their own I guess and the fact that we are all different is what makes the world go around. But 1/2a is the place for me. I can put my plane on the package tray in my car and take it with me on vaction with the family. Can't do that with those 1/4 scale this, 33% that planes. I have a wife and kids to take care of too and I can't see spending $1000 on a model airplane and if it gets rekitted....holy moly the wife would beat me to death with the fuse from Rog's Spyder!!!! Not saying there is anything wrong with those that do though. I find alot of pleasure in making the little engines run....I can spend some time working on one that is being a pain in the butt and when I get it tweaked and it's screaming I look at it and think "Whos your Daddy you little SOB" ....that's more fun than anything I think.

Later,
Tim
Old 10-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Bipe Flyer

ptulmer,

What type of server is your stuff hosted on? I do server side primarily in ASP.
Who would pay for the domain name registration?
Old 10-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

I would be glad to offer a few bucks to the cause if needed.

Later,
Tim
Old 10-12-2004, 02:15 PM
ptulmer

I use edatarack.com. Domain name registration is only fifteen bucks or so. I've got a little r/c business (like tim and I think you also) that would help me donate to the cause. I think it would be great just to have a central place to host plans, video, and gather info about where members are for fly-ins. I've never done anything quite like this so pooling our programming skills would be a necessity.(for me) Who knows. If we get enough members, a little advertising could pay the bill.

I raise my right hand. "I don't intend to use this to push my stuff, I only want to start something for the benefit of my fellow modelers."
Old 10-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Bipe Flyer

Domain registration isn't expensive, but it is an ongoing yearly cost.

Here are suggestions for names in addition to Ptulmer's half-a.org.

International Half A Modellers Association (IHAMA)
International Association of Half A Aircraft (IAHAA)
League of International Teeny Tiny Little Engines (LITTLE)
International Miniature Association of Half A Modellers (IMAHAM) Sorry, couldn't resist.
Small Model Engine Lovers League (SMELL)
Old 10-12-2004, 06:14 PM
BMatthews

LITTLE and SMELL look pretty good...

I don't think you/we should use Association in the name as that implies a proper organization with a club like structure and governing rules and all the rest. Anything that comes out of this is going to be one person's work that they share out of love rather than to form a dues paying association. A call on the site for donations should reap enough for domain name costs and a bit for the server costs. I Know I'd send in a fiver a year and it wouldn't take many of those to pickup the cost.

And of course there'd be a link back to this forum at RCU for the discussion part of the site so everyone would be happy... RIGHT!?!?!?!
Old 10-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Bipe Flyer

I think you're right Bruce. I was just kidding around about the names. It should be something like S.M.A.L.L. is. No administrative hassles, just a repository for information, files, plans, events, pictures etc. I'm sure that donations could cover the costs.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:16 PM
ptulmer

Sounds like we're on the same page. Now...who does what? Bipe, you want me to go ahead, set this up and email you the login?

Bruce, Of course there'd be a link back here! I was thinking the site would be a support mechanism, not a replacement for this forum. Not sure how donations would work. If we had to order a whole new site it'd only be fifty bucks. Setting it up along side mine would mean it cost less than twenty a year. The main thing would be for folks to keep an eye out for free plans or to donate those that they have drawn. I have a plotter and could sell plots of the free plans on the site and give %100 percent to the cause. The only problem I see is how to convince others that I'd be on the up-and-up.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Bipe Flyer

Other than the domain name, we are pretty much reproducing what is freely available at the MSN groups. It is exactly what the groups are designed for. Yahoo does them as well. http://groups.yahoo.com

Why don't we try the group I created for a while and if it doesn't work then we can go with the more labourious route. I see someone has already joined the group anyways.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:10 PM
ptulmer

One reason is there is no place to post videos. Just not enough mb's. Another thing is alot of people don't want to sign up just to view the files. A real website would be easily accessible. If you guys aren't interested, that's ok. I don't mind hosting the vid's on my site.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Bipe Flyer

You can post videos under the files section. You don't need to be a member to view, just to upload. True, storage space is limited to 3mb per person.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Lynn S

I'll join in!
Old 10-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Bipe Flyer

I created a "Links to Video Clips" section on http://groups.msn.com/12Aalltheway so that people can link to a video without using any of their 3MB limit.
I also removed the discussion forum.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:44 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in. Just signed up. Let me know if we need to raise some funds.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.