Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Any Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 07:23 PM
mastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Help Please

I just built my first plane its a 1/2a Hummingbird ..im thinking I might have to much weight in my little bird: I put 2 mini servos and a nano for throttle .I got a micro RX so I know its good ,Im using a Norvell 61 ,a battery pack with 4 AAs and a 3 ounce gas tank and thats about it ,,no rudder for now ,maybe later ...Can anyone tell me if this will be a good flyer or is it to heavy... Thanks Pals
Old 10-10-2004, 07:42 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Any Help Please

What does the plane weigh? With a .061 I would not want to be much over 20 oz.

You could loose a bit of weight by using a smaller battery! Are the AA's Nicads or Nimh's? I use a 400 MAH (2/3 AAA) Nimh and I bet some would think that is too much weight.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:29 PM
jboy381-RCU

3oz fuel tank!!!are you planning on flying for an hour???1oz should be all you need...that should save a couple of ozs there...also as stated above,loose that heavy battery unless you need it to balance the plane...lighter is better...

john
Old 10-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Lynn S

I use a 2 oz tank and that is enough for a 15 min run. I have used AA alkaline but you would be better off with a 250mha nicad battery pack.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:46 AM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Mastic,

If this is the hummingbird from the Stangel kit, then I did one too. If its the same one, then I don't think you will be too heavy, but you need to give it a good flat throw and let it build up some speed to get going. Once its flying, the 061 will do some nice things.

You may want to got with a smaller tank (I used 1 oz tank) and a smaller battery pack. The biggest thing about the larger tank is I found this plane to have a tight CG range and that much fuel is going to make it interesting on takeoff. I did try a 2 oz tank and I noticed a significant difference from takeoff to landing as the fuel burned off.

I flew it in several configurations and found my favorite to be Norvel .061 with R/E/T. Flew very well and was fun to fly. On a side note, this is a tough bird and mine has had several significant unplanned arrivals without too much damage.

Duke