Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Building and flying the LST 1/2A Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Building and flying the LST 1/2A Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 12:37 PM
muddy69
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A trainer anyone?

Man, If I built my planes in the front room there would be some serious domestic unrest. Where did you put the flight pack components?
Old 02-18-2005, 02:02 PM
DustOffUH1

My wife lets me build in the living room where we watch TV. She even got me a building table Plus in an apartment, that's the only place I have room to build.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:23 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

My battery (standard futaba square pack 4.8) is right up front under the tank. The throttle servo is near former f2, and elev servo is near f3. My receiver is on bottom of fuse. I will take a picture of the plane today and hopefully post it soon.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You're at 14oz per sq ft wing loading, which should be OK, but less would be better. I'll see what changes I can make to the plane to allow for easier balancing.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:02 PM
mnrcaerobat

The maiden flight was a success. A little overhand toss and away she went. The 049 is a perfect match. We flew four flights on it and its a nice trainer. I may even build another. I will post a picture next week, as I forgot the camera today.

Bipe Flyer- Do you have plans available for your little edge extra? I would love to build and fly one of those. Also, thanks for posting this plane. We had a great time flying it today. 25 degrees with a 10 mph wind. Perfect flying conditions!
Old 02-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Bipe Flyer

I'm glad it worked out for you.

I do have plans for the Extra Edge, which I sell. I will trade you a copy of Tile Print and the plan for a picture of the LST Trainer that you built.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:09 PM
mnrcaerobat

Sounds great. I will get some pictures in a day or two. I think the owner of the plane was going to put some windows on it and detail it some. I look forward to flying it again. I will PM you when I get the pictures.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Turbobeaver

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

I just so happens that I made a DAT file for cutting floats on my foam cutter.
Bipeflyer,do you happen to have plans for the floats that could be used on the LST trainer?I am planning on making a dedicated float plane version of the LST for local float pond use.I have a few other members in my club that would like to try their hand at 1/2A float flying also.Should be a hoot shooting touch and goes all day on those calmer lazy summer days.

Would also like to congradulate you on the fine job you did in designing these plans and sharing them with all of us fellow modelers.I am sure that Mr.Sipes would indeed be very impressed with your efforts and your thoughtfulness as we all are.Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:23 PM
mnrcaerobat

Here is a picture of the plane that I built. It really flies nice and handles well like a kadet. This plane was built with only ailerons, throttle, and elevator.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85929.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	237547  
Old 03-03-2005, 03:25 PM
mnrcaerobat

another

Name:	Ki19154.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	237549  
Old 03-03-2005, 03:32 PM
mnrcaerobat

Here is the perfect power match. This is the Norvel .049 w throttle. This plane takes off great from a hand launch. Top speed is like a typical trainer.

Name:	Sq46787.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	237561  
Old 03-03-2005, 03:33 PM
DustOffUH1

Nice job! Congratulations
Old 03-03-2005, 04:03 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Looks great! Do you hand start the Norvel? Without the gloves? [X(]
Old 03-05-2005, 01:49 AM
bigtj10

I just bought a Norvel .061 to put in a Piece O' cake; I don't think it has a throttle; My first plane and trainer was a Sig Senior so am very interested in building the LST but not without a throttle. I also have been thinking about building another wing with ailerons for the Sig Sr. but do not have any plans for such. I know this forum is for 1/2A but maybe someione can point me in the right direction to find wing plans for the Sig Sr. with ailerons.

Love the gloves, mnrcaerobat; I used to fly at Tyler, in SW MN, where they have all the wind towers along the Buffalo Ridge. Much easier winters here in VA

Nice building job!
Old 03-05-2005, 03:39 AM
Bipe Flyer

Here's a link to adding flaps and ailerons to a Kadet.

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/kadflap.htm

If you add ailerons to the Senior, take out at least half of the dihedral.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:36 PM
bigtj10

Thanks very much for the info and websites. I had no idea there were Kadet clubs or associations.

Tom Harper
Old 03-05-2005, 04:45 PM
bigtj10

Should I order a wing kit from Sig or build the wing from scratch? I still have the plans for the old Kadet Sr. Another thought - what if I take out all of the dyhedral? Would it roll better without dyhedral? Or should I leave some in? I guess this is far afield from 1/2 A interests but you seem to have a handle on this information and I don't. Thanks for the info.

Tom
Old 03-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Bipe Flyer

A buddy of mine has a Senior with flaps and ailerons that flies very well.

If you feel comfortable building from scratch, then go for it.

Yes, it will roll better if you take out all of the dihedral, but I think that it would look better with a little bit left in. Actually, to be honest, I think it would look best with no dihedral and another wing on the bottom.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:46 PM
AStrovannin

Ok so I went to get all the wood and stuff today, but I could only find an aileron that was 36" not 37", will this be OK??? I got everything else ok.

Aileron - 3/16x3/4 Trailing Edge 37" total (1)

Thanks
Dustin
Old 03-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Bipe Flyer

I was thinking of one strip for each aileron when I drew it, but if you can only get one then it'll be OK if you clip the wing by 1".
Old 03-12-2005, 08:09 PM
AStrovannin

Hmm, Il check the LHS in Cornwall, I went to the one in oshawa today but dont want to drive all the way there tomorow. Hopefully I can get another one.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:14 PM
mnrcaerobat

When I built this plane, I used a 36" aileron strip. I built up the center section out of spare balsa.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:51 AM
AStrovannin

OK, Still working on the model here, and I'm just kinda curious as to how to assemble the fuse, and the order of assembly. I've got the wing pretty much done and just about all the other parts cut out, just not 100% sure what order to put them together in. That and I want to make sure the fuse is straight and all that. I've never scratch built anything, but it seemed like the best way to get started, then if I get a kit later I will have some decent building experience. So if anyone who has completed this model could post a kind of "order of operations" that would be awesome.

Thanks
Dustin
Old 03-21-2005, 08:57 PM
mnrcaerobat

I'll try to remember the build sequence that I used. I don't have the plan here with me tonight.

1. Build formers and firewall.
2. Cut fuse sides. I tacked my side profile of the fuselage to the balsa sides. I then tacked both fuse pieces together, but only on the ends in the scrap areas. This allowed me to get two identical sides. I cut mine on a white melamine shelf board (3/4" thick) using a good sharp knice and a straight edge. Cut Elevator, Horizontal Stab., and Rudder Fin.
3. Mark on top and bottom of your fuse where the formers go.
4. Lay one of the halves down on a nice flat surface. Glue the formers into place with Medium CA. When gluing this, grab a scrap piece of balsa that you know is square (90 degrees) to hold the formers perpendicular to the fuse.
5. Glue on the firewall.
6. Glue on the other fuselage half. Lay your fuse over your plan (top down view) when doing this step. Put some scrap balsa beside your fuse to pin the fuse down so you can keep it all square as you glue it up. I think Bipe Flier mentioned a jig that he uses in this step. Anyway, just make sure you keep your sides lined up with your plan, and join the back halves.
7. Sheeting on the bottom of the fuselage. I installed my fuel tank at this point. Make sure to wrap it good with foam. Fuel tank setup is critical to engine performance. Make sure to follow directions on the tank, or ask here, and we can guide you.
8. Sheeting on the top of the fuselage.
9. Drill holes for your wing dowels.
10. Install Horizontal stabilizer. I posted a picture of this step earlier in this thread. I layed mine on a good flat surface upside down. Lay your wing saddle area down on the flat surface. I used yellow carpenters glue to glue on the stab, but you could use 30 minute epoxy if you wish. Just use something that will give you time to make your needed adjustments. I layed a 2x4 under my stab as it dried in place. It was just the right height, and kept the stab square with the wing. See the prior picture. Lastly, measure from your fuse cheeks back to the outside corner of your stabilizer on both sides. These measurements should be the same. AT the same time, make sure your fuse to outside edge of stab measurements are the same also. Leave it alone now overnight, or until you epoxy sets.
11. Glue on your Vertical fin with your scrap 90 degree square piece. Sand is on the bottom to get a real nice fit. Make sure it touches the fuse/stabilizer all the way along its gluing surface.
12. Cover the entire model with Monokote.
13. Glue in wing hold down dowels.
14. Fuel proof your firewall with Epoxy or thin ca. Make sure you get it on all the areas to seal against fuel. Put some on your wing dowels as well.
15. Install your fuel tank and radio. I routed the antenna about 1" behind the wing. I put a pin in the top of the vertical stab and tied a rubber band from this pin to my antenna. Just let the excess hang out the back.
16. Rig control surfaces.
17. Landing gear.
18. Balance your model. THis is critical. The Center of Gravity is shown on the plans. Make sure to get it balanced, or it will crash.
19. Ask questions if you get confused. Get an instructor to help with learning to fly.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:38 PM
AStrovannin

What about setting up the fuel tank? You mean the location or the way the hoses are in there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.