Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Modifying a Cox "Sure Start" 049

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Modifying a Cox "Sure Start" 049

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 08:59 PM
SERCEFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying a Cox "Sure Start" 049

I've heard a number of you say good things about the Sure Start 049's that Cox has on the RTF control line models. I'm curious about a few things:

Can they be bought separately from the models? Where? How much?

How are they different from a typical Cox reedy?

Can they be modified to be fitted to an external tank? Maybe a small balloon tank?

What performance are you guys getting with them?

How does the choke tube work?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Default RE: Modifying a Cox "Sure Start" 049

Those Sure Start engines are real nice engines IMO. They have a real good bypass set up that works very nice. They are already set to run with an external tank so just push on the fuel line from the balloon tank and run! I wish I could get them from Cox. Lone Star Balsa had them for a while but by the time I got wind of them they were out. As for performance mods I cut the piston down so the bottom exhaust slit draws SPI. My idea of a poor mans Killer Bee. I can't remember my tach numbers from that engine but on my 14/15oz LynnSipes150 while holding the running plane in front of me and just letting it go it would pull the plane up just a couple of degrees from straight up!

Later,
Tim
Old 12-18-2004, 08:36 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just looked at tower and the control line plane with the engine (sure start) is cheaper than any motor they sell?,, I dont know what type of tank they have in them though...Rog
Old 12-18-2004, 09:23 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a good way of obtaining a new sure-start is to buy a cox comanche or other free-flight plastic helicopter and take the engine off. If you get enough of the helicopters hulks, you can make a neat mobile to hang on the ceiling!

There was also a super-sale on the ill-fated naboo ship once at tower hobbies..

The comanche or similar are usually on e-bay for about 19 dollars 'buy it now'.

Brilliant to mass market a model of a helicopter that will never be manufactured (full-scale comanche program dropped by US government).

Also once I found some place online that sold closeout toys that was selling the cox 'huey' for around 15 dollars, but they are all goone. Maybe some googling will find more.

Once the Comanche are all dried up, maybe cox will market a control-line version of a Spongebob-Squarepants doll that nobody will buy so we can get those on ebay and pull the sure-starts.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:56 PM
jboy381-RCU

they are awsome engines...i've been flying one for 3 months now...it starts on the first try with the spring...runs like a bat outta he&* with 5x3 prop...i just recently call tim to try and hop one up...but he told me,"they are hot little engines just like they are"...i have to agree with him totally...

the only problem i've had with the engine is that grass gets sucked in the tube and clogs the screen...a quick tube removal and some fuel takes care of the problem...

the sure start cox has to be my absolute favorite cox engine...

john
Old 12-20-2004, 12:42 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this the beast?

I got it off of e B a y with 3 well used TD .020s. I only bid on the auction for the .020s and the .49 turned out to be in the best condition. It looks like it has hardly been used.

What, besides the anodizing and the spinner, is the difference between this engine and a Killer Bee?

Check out [link=http://*******.com/bhfe]this auction on e B a Y[/link] if you want to pick up a few.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32589.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	204797  
Old 12-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Bipe,

What you have there is a .049 "product" engine. The new "Sure Start" is the new product engine. It have a gray backplate with a snorkle choke tube coming out the back and goes up to the needle valve.

The difference between a real Killer Bee and the old product engine is the KB had a better crank that had a thicker crank disk and a drilled crank pin. Also the KB has a 4 exhaust slit cylinder but the bottom slit is wider so the engine has SPI. Plus the prop driver was round and it had a thrust washer behind it.

Later,
Tim
Old 12-20-2004, 08:52 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bipe --

Here is a pic -- twin slit exhaust and choke tube with a needle valve support. The tube requires a little extra effort in mounting, but a good buy, IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97021.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	204857