Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

CSTKAM-1.5 UCTKAM(0.09)

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

CSTKAM-1.5 UCTKAM(0.09)

Old 03-23-2005, 10:48 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CSTKAM-1.5 UCTKAM(0.09)

This an advice thread. If you have one or know anything about fixing the multitude of problems on these engines, (or just want to be funny, I need a good laugh) please share. Here's a message I got from Glen Dye.

Ptulmer: You've just been SCAMMED ! RC Jug IS a decent dealer, but you just purchased another KIT Engine.... About the same quality as the early CS .049 & .061 engines. You need a COMPETENT Machinist to go through it to make it 'run' properly! Try adding a bronze bushing where the shaft seal is on the crank, ahead of the rear brg. On the sleeve & piston: DEGREASE completely, remove snap rings & wrist-pin, Bake <<< separately >>> (NOT with piston in sleeve) @ 375~400 deg. F for 2 hours, and then check taper on sleeve with bore gage, and either lap or hone AS NECESSARY to get a good fit on P & L. It'll make a 'good' sport or trainer engine. It you want something FAST; Get a PROFI from Jim Booker or Mejzlik....! Cheers, Glen

link to the whole Delphi thread - [link=http://forums.delphiforums.com/flyfast/messages/?msg=1964.5]LINK[/link]

I'll post some pics from my engines tonight. Here's some from the auction.

Schu, you put a nipple in the pipe for tank pressure, right? Where does it go?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32838.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	247893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30904.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	247894  
Old 03-23-2005, 10:56 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: CSTKAM-1.5 UCTKAM(0.09)

I'd say your problem is there's not enough vowels in the brand name. The engine will try to run tongue-tied!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:59 AM
ptulmer

And here I was expecting nipple jokes....
Old 03-23-2005, 11:00 AM
epilot

How much did you pay for it? Some 10 years ago we would regularly have people from the Baltic states visit our C/L meets and these engines were sold for less than 20 bucks. Lots bought them but I don't recall ever seing one in use. The 2.5cc CSTKAM combat engines were famous for their less than perfect ball bearings. Once equipped with Western BBs they could be decent runners. Most Russian engines can be made into nice runners with a bit fo skill and patience.

Michael
Old 03-23-2005, 11:05 AM
ptulmer

Twenty bucks!!! I paid eighty for two! Mine were shipped from Russia, so there's were some money went, but still, twenty bucks!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:24 AM
epilot

I got a 10cc Russian R/C engine for 25 bucks. Good runner too! Those were the days. Diesels especially seem to go for silly prices on E bay these days My Mars 2.5 diesel set me back 16 bucks.

Michael
Old 03-23-2005, 12:22 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The engine is at a stage right now where it IS worth $40, it is going to take patience to make the engine functional. A quick dunk test should reveal all air leaks. The piston liner fit should be worked on, like GLEN says after the liner has been stabilized by heat treating. With a little TLC, I'll bet there's something to work with here.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Dan Vincent

PT,

Glen Dye knows what he's talking about...he's been building racing engines for many years.

Some of those Russian 1.5's came as race car engines and had both exhaust and crankshaft facing the rear. See the configuration in the boat picture below. Most airplane guys would swap ends to make it a Rear Intake, rear exhaust. My biggest complaint on this Russian engine is the screws, they're made of butter. Find some nice socket-head screws and replace them.

If you open the case you will see it's not ported for that setup. You need to grind a passage for the intake. My race car engines had a heavy black steel crankshaft housing. I also found a black aluminum front housing that is used for airplane applications.

I think there might be some potential in the engine, but it is very heavy. For airplane racing, perhaps a scaled down quarter midget model from 300 sq in to around 275 sq in might be what you'd want to come up with. I think a redction to around 91% on linear measurements will come pretty close.

A couple of front intake, rear exhaust engines I have are the Chinese YS and CS, both with BB shafts. I understand the Russian Double-star .09 is another high performance engine.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35532.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	247956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91460.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	247957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22092.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	247958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13117.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	247959  
Old 03-23-2005, 01:00 PM
combatpigg

I just looked it up in the RUSSIAN/ENGLISH translation book, and CSTKAM in our language means, SCAM!!
Old 03-23-2005, 01:29 PM
AStrovannin
My Feedback: (2)

I wondered who bought those engine, I was watching them, but decided not to buy. All I really likes was the pipes on them. If you decide not to use one let me know.

Dustin
Old 03-23-2005, 01:56 PM
ptulmer

Astrovannin, I can hook you up with the seller easy enough. He's a pretty nice guy. That's the ONLY reason I did not give him bad feedback. I've got to ship one of my pipes to an American friend of his to get a replacement, but the engines would have had to go back to Russia.
You might offer to pick Tim Wiltse's up though. I don't know that he plans on getting his running.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:01 PM
epilot

Tim might want to go fishing though

Michael

PS: These engines sometimes show up on German E bay and always get sold for obscene prices. Must be a lot of collectors out there.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:10 PM
ptulmer

The lesson there is I need to sell mine on German ebay...[&:]
Old 03-23-2005, 02:16 PM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: Dan Vincent

If you open the case you will see it's not ported for that setup. You need to grind a passage for the intake. My race car engines had a heavy black steel crankshaft housing. I also found a black aluminum front housing that is used for airplane applications.
Dan, I'm not certain what you mean. The intake passage that needed to be ground is for the car engine?(being turned around for air use)

Oh, and my airplane engines have the heavy black steel crank housing. Maybe I need to get one of my lathe/mill owning friends to hook me up. That would REALLY cut down on the weight.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:15 PM
AStrovannin
My Feedback: (2)

Tim?? Who's that? Do you have his email?
As far as the pipes are concerned, are they alright. I've got an MVVS .15 (2.5) rear exhaust but no muffler for it. Is there a pretty decent benefit to using a pipe like that. I know there is on 2 stroke bikes and all that, but not to sure about the model engines. From the look of things I'm pretty happy I didnt buy those, but they looked awesome in the pics, shiny pipes and all.

Dustin
Old 03-23-2005, 04:24 PM
ptulmer

AStro, Tim Wiltse is here on RCU. PM him if you want to know how he feels about these little "jewels".

A properly tuned pipe is good for alot of extra ponies if done right. I'm not sure if this one is done right or not. It's not adjustable. Morrishobbies.com should have the header and pipe for the MVVS. If you want to go fast, a pipe is the ticket. Kinda like putting a supercharger on a two-cycle.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:37 PM
combatpigg

For a rear exhaust, pipes make sense, but for a side exhaust the price and weight advantage of open exhaust is hard to pass up. Open exhaust or can deliver very good performance too.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:39 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

there is no real pipe for the little mvvs .15, only the mousse can type tuned muffler thing. really doesn't do squat once you do a propper porting job on the cylinder and run up in the 25K+ area.

dave
Old 03-23-2005, 07:10 PM
ptulmer

Your right Zagnut. It was a mini-pipe they offered. I really though hard about getting one. When I went back to order one... they had been discontinued.[:'(]
There was even a really nice diesel version.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Dan Vincent

PT,

On the car engines there is a passage in the main case, above the rear mounted intake rotary drum. The fuel mixture comes in and shoots up into the bypass.

If you reverse the case on the car engine, to make it a RIRE, that passage will be on the wrong end of the engine and some crankcase meat will block the rotary drum. It needs to be opened up.

I've never seen the internals of the aircraft version so it may already have the correct intake path. Check it out.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:40 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Did you ever think of just RUNNING it?
I mean, what a hardcore CL speed freak calls a "trainer" engine might be hot enough for you and me.
These things run, and run fine. There are a lot of "Friday Jobs" that have problems, but most of the Russian engines run fine.
No big surprise that they won't perform like engines that cost ten times as much...not only due to their metallurgy but due to the fact that most of the designs are THIRTY YEARS OLD.
A pipe? Well, probably not ported for the pipe, but you never know.
Still a steal at $40 each.
They sell for less if you shop around.
Amazing how people start shouting "SCAM" when they buy something they know little about.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:50 PM
ptulmer

Who's shouting? And yes I've tried to run one, the other is going through the process recommended by Glen. The one I tried to run would go for about two seconds and stop. And that was after several hours of work.
It is a scam if someone sells an engine as working, but you received unfinished engines. I spoke to the seller about the engines and believe he is honest. But, he believes in the engines. What does that change? ET, your still the first one that I've heard of having such unlimited success. Congratulations on being so superior. Since this thread was meant to be about how to get them running if you receive a bad engine, you should have plenty more to offer.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:52 PM
combatpigg

Did somebody just break wind[:'(]?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:05 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

"A quick dunk test should reveal all air leaks..."
Can you elaborate on that?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:57 PM
combatpigg

There are 2 definitive tests that anyone can do to an engine to tell if they have a runner[ or to see why they don't have a runner]. Take off the backplate and glow plug. With the piston at TDC, pour fuel on top of the piston and look inside the crankcase for leakage. Lower the piston and keep checking. A good engine will maintain the seal till the piston uncovers the exhaust port. Next test is to take a soda straw and insert it into the intake [make sure the intake valve is open]. Seal the straw to the intake with modelers' clay, heavy grease, etc. Tape off the exhaust port with duct tape. Now dunk the sealed up engine [back plate and head reinstalled] into water and blow into it [through the straw]with mild pressure and take note of any air bubbles. As long as the engine rotates freely with no mechanical hitches an engine that passes these other tests should run OK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.