Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

cox engines discontiuned?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

cox engines discontiuned?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:39 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cox engines discontiuned?

ORIGINAL: mangolo

Cox also has the PICA airplane kits,hope they get them out soon

Waldp
HOLY MOLARS BATMAN!!!

That is just plain COOL! (or should I say "plane") Those little combat birds are so nice. When PICA disappeared it seemed as though the opportunity had been missed to get a Corsair. Looks like Cox just got really far onto my good side.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:29 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just hope they put the Pica "Glu-It" back in production. My favorite "White" wood glue.

Bill.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:13 PM
David Redden

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions, best wishes and criticisms.

A few more answers.

Yes, Cox did acquire Pica and you will start to see some production this fall. However, we only acquired the kits from Pica. I don't know what is to become of the Pica glue line.

Pricing - this is a sensitive subject. Part of the new Cox strategy is a change in the way Cox products are sold. Cox is a responsible manufacturer and we will not undercut our past loyal customers. So, for as long as past customers have Cox inventory in stock, we will not even consider any price changes. It just wouldn't be fair.

The production machinery for Cox engines sits in a building right behind me here in lovely Penrose, Colorado with a nice view of Pike's Peak in the distance. That means that the Cox engines are made here in the USA. Having said that, I don't know of anyone making balsa wood ARF's in the United States and our new airplane products are imported.

All for today...

Dave Redden
Cox Hobbies
Old 04-21-2005, 07:01 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: meowy84

Spanish Willial? I hope you're not referring to Pegaso.........*green with envy if it's true*

Spanish? Ah the Bultacos. Owned a couple, rode a few more foe sponsors. The Pursangs, The Matadors, the amazingly nimble little Alpinas...but!!!~ what am I saying? The off topic gods may strike us down! Please realize, Oh great RCM Gods That I am speaking of Spanish Model engines. For use in RC motorcycles. Yeah, That's it. Model motorcycles, yeah,you got it that's it! RC model Motorcycles!

jess
Old 04-21-2005, 08:28 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A public request for the return of the Cox cessna line of the 70's and 80's as well as the GTP nissan with a two speed tranny and teedee like engine, and a motorcycle as well.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:07 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

William, nope, have no clue on the second. Sort of looks like the 750 Moretti (called the baby Ferrari by many) engine except that the cam boxes are too far apart and are too wide plus the Moretti was a sidedraft jobbie and had spark plugs where the carbs are on that one. Of course most of Moretti's work was rebodied Fiats or cars built with Fiat components. The little 750 Moretti that you speak of wa I think his most beautiful one. I think there's two of these Morettis in the U.S. One was owned by Ken Ludvigsen I believe and the Offy engine was assembled from a basketcase of 2 750 engines (one being a 5 bearing version and the other the yuckier 3 bearing version) plus it used an old Saab water pump because an original Moretti one couldn't be found. From what I recall the crankcase (being cast in one piece a la Offy style) was almost indestructible but the other internal components were not. One of the first U.S. owners of the GT Moretti was the future wife of Allesandro DeTomaso (yes, one and the same). There was an article about the Ludvigsen Morettiabout 20 years ago in one of the car rags. Anyways, back to the second picture...could it be a Cisitalia?

As for the Pegaso, it was "heavy" probably because your dad didn't drive it fast enough. heh heh heh Seriously though, I've never driven a Pegaso or any of the 250 series ferraris but I did hear that the steering and the general feeling of these cars was very heavy and ponderous at low speeds but improved significantly at higher speeds.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:54 PM
mclintock

See that? Guys talkin bout engines.. Can't talk about engines on electric planes now can ya!
Ever been to a vintage golf cart museum? Me neither..

Know anyone who has any vintage astro can motors on display? Doubt it. Any old classic nicad collectors? yawn.. You actually may have to pay to get rid of the things!

engines rule.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:25 PM
jessiej

[You actually may have to pay to get rid of the things!]

Yep. Out here in the boonies where I live the trash dumps have signs notifying citizens of unacceptable trash. Among those items are "batteries".

I will say however that in the mid sixties i was very much involved with slot cars. Electric powered, naturally. I still have a couple of my hand made chassis, rewound motors, etc. Even as personal value though they have nothing of the worth of the old Orwick, Forster, O&R, Thermal Hopper and the like engines. While my crystal ball has never worked at all( witness my relative poverty), I expect those old combustion engines will forever have more value than any electricaly powered motor. (Then, again, asisai about my future prodicting equipment...

jess
Old 04-22-2005, 12:21 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris:

The second engine pictured is in an Arnolt car. S. H. (Pappy) Arnolt commissioned the construction of some 200 of them, they had the 2 litre Bristol engine. So, it's a Bristol. In spite of looking like a DOHC there was no timing chest, it had a single cam on the left side with push rod actuated valves in hemi chambers. If you look at the picture you can see a couple of the tubes that had relay rods to operate the rockers for the exhaust valves. The 10mm spark plugs, and the intake ports were in the valley between the rocker boxes, along with the tubes for the relay rods. Really crowded.

The Moretti was imported by an old buddy of mine, Jim Holmes, in Chicago. Came with either of two engines. One was the shrunken Offy you mentioned with a pair of Weber DCO carbs, the other was a near copy of the old SOHC Crosley engine. It came, as near as I remember, with a single throat Weber 32 IMPE carb. Jim only brought in a couple hundred of them, and just a very few had the DOHC engine. Biggest problem was rust. Park the car, come out in the morning and find a brown pile. Not really that fast, but they went away quickly.

Baby Ferrari? It was really a Ferrari design, Enzo decided not to build it. A separate company did build them though, it was called ASA. Yes, I did. Picture attached.

You're probably right about the heaviness of the Pegaso, the 450S Maserati was that way. The 3500 GT wasn't, and the 250 Ferrari was just delightful from low to high speeds.

So now let's get back to Cox - this isn't supposed to be a car thread.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84263.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	261236  
Old 04-22-2005, 05:14 PM
meowy84

Clint, I agree!! Engines rule, whether they be 1/2A or larger (with the possible exclusion of the .40 sized crowd, heh heh heh).

William, You're absolutely right about the similarities of the Moretti to the Ferrari. Other than the engine being a 4 instead of a 12 the suspension systems were almost identical with transverse leafs in the front and semi-elliptic and live axle rear. The wheelbase was tiny at 89 or so inches which is shorter by an inch than the VW Beetle! A tiny, tiny car but oh so beautiful. I tell you I like big powerful cars (the V8s and V12) but there's just something about small-displacement 4 cylinder engines under 1500cc. And the 2 cylinder 500 and 600cc Fiats are cool too, especially in Abarth trim! Maybe that's also why I love the 1/2A engines...beauty in a small package! But then again the 2litre Fiat (nee Siata) V8 shich is considered big by European standards was also a beautiful engine. I'm not in the position at this time to afford any of these cars so my best attempt was a Renault Dauphine. A beautiful car in my opinion given the racer-boy treatment, some Keihin motorcycle carbs and a loud exhaust. It wasn't fast at 850cc but it sounded fast and revved to 7000rpm with safety. The gear shift lever was so thin and fragile I was always afraid I'd bend it in an enthusiastic shift but I gotta say it had really good crisp shift feel as compared to another rear engine/rear tranny car, namely the Beetle.

In re the engine picture: A Bristol eh? At least I was moderately close because I did mention the Arnolt Bristol cars in a previous post. But wait a minute, wasn't the British Bristol really originally based on the 1930's BMW 328 roadster (at least mechanically?)? The original Bristols even had the BMWesque kidney grille. I heard Arnolt's nickname was "Wacky Arnolt" because he was a fairly colorful personality apparently.

Oh, one thing about the Apollo you mentioned earlier. I didn't realize they were fiberglass. I always thought they were steel bodied....Too bad there wasn't more made despite their shortcomings (show me a classic/vintage car without quirks?!). Alas, the 215 alumunum Buick engine still survives and has powered many a MGB conversions and other specialized cars.

In regards to ASA, wasn't that company started by a group of ex-ferrari engineers and body men? Unfortunately if my history is correct they built mostly small-displacement 4 cylinder cars and while the cars had enviable performance for their displacement and very good build quality they were priced very close to the V12 Ferraris and so didn't really compete very well.

Back on topic, Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:28 PM
COXR/C1

DAVE:

I’ve been looking for a Tee Dee .09 R/C motor for a long time now, will the .09, .074, .05 R/C versions of this engines be produced or am I out of luck.

Gary:
[]
Old 06-12-2005, 03:37 PM
gabe200
My Feedback: (21)

i have been flying cox engines for 30 years i love them electric is ok i just love the sound and smell of castor oil i woul love to find a cox ez bee. im looking for trottle sleeves for cox.010 and .020 can anyone help.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:44 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Gary,
[quote]ORIGINAL: COXR/C1

DAVE:

I’ve been looking for a Tee Dee .09 R/C motor for a long time now, will the .09, .074, .05 R/C versions of this engines be produced or am I out of luck.

Gary,

Pictured is a stock TD .09 which I cobbled together. It sports an MVVS .09 throttle and includes an adjustable airbleed. The muffler is custom made. Power is outstanding and throttling is virtually perfect. Have also diesleized it with similar results.

Dave, it's entirely possible to make this engine into a real RC powerhouse.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44433.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	284736   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43077.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	284737