Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

"1/2A" H.O.B. P 47 D

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

"1/2A" H.O.B. P 47 D

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:16 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "1/2A" H.O.B. P 47 D

ORIGINAL: jettstarblue

I ran the engine with the current tank/mount, and it will be a short(er) run, but it wasn't bad- way better than a Cox black widow type tank.

I moved the firewall a bit and the tank/mount(ed) engine fit nicely.

Yep, gonna use film on the bottom of the wing and the fuse, though it should belly land without to much trauma to the wing.
No clunk on the tank mount, either. That's a problem.
Find a one or two ounce tank.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:38 AM
jettstarblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rog- I haven't built a real live kit in quite a while. This is a super easy kit, and I don't mind the sanding at all. I nearly forgot the joy of "crafting" as opposed to "assembling". (every time I start to hurry it, it loses it's fun factor, so I'm not hurry-ing with it, it's going together real fast anyhow. The wing was done in a couple hours after work, the fuse went even faster. I have the tail feathers (big deal) and the covering/radio install left. Probably finish it Saturday.

ET- Are you sure? I ran it upside down and right side up! It seems to be one of those that has the two vents and a fuel pick up (?) somewhere.... Anyhow, it's getting the .051/tank/mount, (3) HS 55's A/E/R, no L.G. and...and light covering.

It's almost done now- like I said real easy to build. Very light.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:54 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

If it has some sort of clunk, and you can handle the short flights, then go for it.

You are on the right track here, should be a fun plane.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:42 AM
jettstarblue

EZ- the short flights won't bother me a bit, I taught myself to fly with an Ace High MKII Cox "boosted" glider. I ran the Black widow until it wore out, and then installed a Texaco on it.

Going for the ultimate in simplicity on this one.

If I want to fly for a long flight, I'll use one of the others in the shop.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:26 AM
hogflyer

Years back I built the HOB Bonanza, 2ch with a TD .051 and the red tank mount. Seem to remember the tank mount being just a glorified version of the tank mount for the reedie with inlets top and bottom that went to the other side of the tank (flip upside down shut the engine down). Way too heavy for the 2ch radio with std. servo's and batterypack. It just wallowed in the air in a fast, shallow decent, but did fly in ground effect for several hundred feet until it flew into the bean field. It was a tough design, survived the excursion into the bean patch and was promptly dumped at the next club auction.

I have the ME-109 kit collecting dust, along with a Medallion .09 (with throttle sleve) that has about 30 min run time. It's a project for next winter, but I'm not sure if I want to use the .09 or try a Norvell .074. Since I haven't used the Norvell .074, which would be the better choice? How well does the Norvell idle down for landing? I'm also thinking of replacing the plastic turtle deck and build one from blue foam and 1/32 balsa and use just the canopy to allow the use of iron-on film covering along with the upper nose block. I'll leave the bottom block solid balsa since it'll be the brake on belly landings (LG will be removable for grass), put a couple of lightening holes in the fuselage sides and some lightening holes in the ribs. Any other mods to make to lighten?

Still have the Bonanza plans and P-51 plans on the back the ME-109 so I may have to scratch these if the ME-109 flies good .
Old 01-03-2006, 07:17 AM
jettstarblue

Here was the final configuration-

Two futaba std. servos, the red tank .051, bottom covered in Sig iron on (the sample they were sending out) silkspan and dope on the rest.

I omitted the plastic top and made it look like a quickie or a sorta stik.

Flew fine with a hand launch and actually climbed.....very slowly. I doubt it would have flown in the summer with 80 degrees and some humidity! Flew a few tanks through it and it really was a pig- I should have seen it coming.....I got a little over zealous with the "manouvers" and it snapped out on me. (Uh, yeah, no, it was a "radio hit" yeah that's it.)

Total destruction ensued. It was fun to build a kit after several ARF's, and now I have bought a couple more kits to build and fly.

So it's all good.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Digger-RCU

I dont know if anyone needs this information, but I can weigh in on this discussion as I built and flew the HOB p-47 for 5 years with over 300 flights on the plane. Several significant members of this board saw the plane fly at the Little-rock smalls 3 years in a row.

-First, I think the Norvel 074 was a perfect match for this plane. No, it would not go verticle, but thats not what I use my planes for. It did have a great deal of authority and could climb and manuver enough to wow the average spectator (read this as very superior all around flight characteristics).
-The engine idled very nice for me and always provided good ground handleing. Tall grass the exception.
-In the air she looked good. Not so scale on the ground, but great in the air.
-The plastic turtledeck was thrown away once I cut the canopy out of it, and built up a balsa replacement. lighter and better looking.
-I did four channels. Three channels with hs 55's and and hs-80 for the throttle.
-The supplied torque rods were too flimsy at high speed. I lived with them, but always cut the throttle on long dives as they would just start to flutter. If I were building her again, I would replace these with something thicker.
- If I had take-off difficulties because of grass, she would hand launch nicely.
- I mounted the engine upside-down, and made a muffler sleeve extention so that the muffler would sit outside the cowl. This seemed to actually make her quieter.
-I always liked the APC 6.3x4 prop with this engine and plane. Just always seemed to work well.

I really liked this plane and engine combo. Sort of my unofficial favorite plane of all time!

I hope this helps.

Randy (Digger) Birt

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48053.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	380647  
Old 01-04-2006, 06:42 AM
jettstarblue

Nice looking plane Randy.

I agree with the aileron torque rods comment. I WISH I'd have had a bunch of small servos to put in mine but, since I didn't I thought I'd go with the full sized gear as it was called for on the plans......hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

If I can find another one NIB on e-bay for 7 or 8 bucks like this one was, I'll buy it and build it and spend some of the green I saved on some HS 55's!