Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

GUILLOWS' FW 190

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Phlip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GUILLOWS' FW 190

The control/line models are not sheeted, and they're built with the kit wood. To alter the airfoil I added material.

I'm planning to sheet the R/C model, after serious lightening of the inner structure.

BTW, the long-nose Fw 190 is a Dora-9, or Fw 190D-9, powered by a liquid cooled in-line engine. I'm partial to the big round engines, myself.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:04 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Phlip

The control/line models are not sheeted, and they're built with the kit wood. To alter the airfoil I added material.

I'm planning to sheet the R/C model, after serious lightening of the inner structure.

BTW, the long-nose Fw 190 is a Dora-9, or Fw 190D-9, powered by a liquid cooled in-line engine. I'm partial to the big round engines, myself.
The D-9 is a very different aircraft, and one of the GREAT aircraft of WWII. Very different under the surface than the regular D-9.

Sheet away if you like, but you had better get the weight off elsewhere...

The Dauntless is a great kit, it's more deluxe than the 190, from a different series of kits, even better.

I think Turnkey RC has a new Dauntless kit of the same dimensions, but specifically designed for RC...
Old 12-15-2005, 01:38 AM
scudrunner77

Last time I was at the Boeing Museum of Flight they had the in line water cooled FW-190. Neat plane... although I guess it's still not quite what CP is after cause is still has the round cowl up front. If I remember correctly the round radiator is visible inside the cowl. Took me a second to figure out what I was looking at.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:05 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I didn't realize they had a slimmer version with an in line engine. After seeing the picture of it, with that funky cowl, it is a step backwards in eye appeal from the radial version. It's been a long time since I've been to the museum, everytime I go, it's with some one else, and the pressure to move through it with other people who aren't as interested in the same things sucks. Next time I go, it will be by myself!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:53 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Boeing Museum of Flight in Seattle has some neat stuff and some great venues. I went there last year to a beer fest in amoungst the 'planes.
Not much more going on this year and they havn't posted next yet.

http://www.museumofflight.org/Portal.asp?Flash=False
Old 12-15-2005, 10:02 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I didn't realize they had a slimmer version with an in line engine. After seeing the picture of it, with that funky cowl, it is a step backwards in eye appeal from the radial version. It's been a long time since I've been to the museum, everytime I go, it's with some one else, and the pressure to move through it with other people who aren't as interested in the same things sucks. Next time I go, it will be by myself!
I think the D-9 is beautiful, but to each his own...
There was also the TA-152, a very advanced long-wing version.

I think the last and the very first versions are the most beautiful.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:52 PM
scudrunner77

CP - I feel your pain.. My family took me there for Father's Day once. It was very nice of them, but about half way through they were so bored and I ended up not seeing all that I wanted too. They opened this in 2004. http://www.museumofflight.org/Displa...ge=PerCourWing It's all about WWI and WWII fighters.... it does not get much better then that. Very cool stuff...
Old 12-15-2005, 11:34 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course but for me nothing matches the pugnacious look of the original radial version with the short nose and compact moment arms. The D-9 not only added the longer engine and circular rad up front but added a few inches to the tail moment arm to compensate for the extra nose length. By all accounts it was a better airplane than the earlier ones but the short nosed Butcher Bird gets my nod.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:47 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Hey, whatever happened to this "birdcage" you were building CP? Did looking at all those liitle twigs finally make you go nuts? Or did the holidays just intervene? Me wants to see it fly!!

Regards ZZ.[8D]
Old 12-22-2005, 10:45 PM
combatpigg

HI ZZ, you are correct on all counts, plus I'm rewiring the lighting and signaling circuits in my old truck. Trying to find new, high quality lamp sockets is proving to be a pain. I did get around to making a cowl plug out of blue foam, but I sanded too much of a radius into it, [not out very much work though]. The FW 190 will pick up steam after the holidays!!
Old 12-24-2005, 08:30 PM
combatpigg

Progress report. I just spent a very enjoyable 3 hours watching the SEAHAWKS and COLTS play, and was able to work in some model building too. This blue foam is fairly easy to work with, but there is a dirty yellow foam that is better yet, I just don't happen to have any. If you dimple it or tear it, don't sweat it, just keep pressing on until you arrive at the basic overall shape. The next step is to paint the foam with epoxy laminating resin, which will form a hard crust . Once cured, the dents can now be removed with spackle or tapers' mud. A final coat of resin can be applied, smoothed out, then go through the typical mold prepping with PVA and wax. These parts will be made from 3 layers of 1.5 oz cloth, and the foam plugs will then be removed. The net result will be strong and light parts that will accept paint. I might use iron on film on the canopy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74213.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	375261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69871.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	375262  
Old 12-25-2005, 01:44 AM
scudrunner77

Wow! That's looking real good there CP! Your going to have to keep building during the playoffs too.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2005, 02:17 AM
combatpigg

MERRY XMAS SR77. There's gotta be an easier way to build a plane! It would be a challenge to build this particular fuselage any other way and have it come out as light. Formed 1/16" sheet balsa over a waxed hardwood mold is an idea I've been toying with. There would be about the same volume of wood as this bird cage.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:30 AM
flyswatter

cp:
I know there are probably other ways to do it, but darn if that birdcage isn't elegant! A lot of youngsters would benefit from building a plane that way. They would learn a lot about the art of building model airplanes. Can't say that about most other methods of building. BTW, do you actually "build" an ARF or are you assembling it like a bike? Anyway, you are doing a beautiful job so far.

I don't mean to bore you with things you already know, but I can't help myself, you are modeling an a/c I really like. My understanding is the Dora D-9 version was a stop gap between the early versions of the 190 and the TA152. The whole idea was to get the Junkers inline bomber engine (a brute of an engine) into a fighter plan form. This was much the same approach the US took in putting the double Wasp in our later fighter designs. Unfortunately, for the Germans, they did not have the resources to start mass production of the TA152 (not many were completed before the end of the war). Some smart rascal came up with the idea of modifying 190 A-versions with the Junkers engine which, because of the engine's size, required extending the nose. This threw off the weights and balance so a short fuse extension was developed to be inserted forward of the vertical stab. I think at one point the redesign was packaged as a field mod. Anyway, the D-9 version gave the Germans a great intercepter that was as fast as anything the Allies had, including the Mustang. I think the Dora was a very good looking fighter and it is reported to be one of the finest built by the Germans in WWII (Much better overall than the FW190A and the Bf109). I have built the TF D-9 with most all of the bells and whistles - it is a great flyer and makes a real impact during a low pass. I think you picked a great aircraft to model - good moments and a sleek design. I will look forward to following this thread and your progress.

Oh, and a very Merry Christmas to you - my wife can't believe I am on the forum on Christmas morning!
Old 12-25-2005, 03:55 PM
scudrunner77

CP- If you can make a hard wood mold of this bird... I think that would be a greater accomplishment then putting all these twigs together!
Old 12-25-2005, 05:46 PM
combatpigg

SR77, If you took a whiffle ball bat, and did a little bit of snipping and re-sectioning, a reasonable facsimile could be done pronto for a mold. Then just go with SWR technology for the rest of it for warbird racing. It could also be adapted to scale combat with foam wings. The ultimate slam dunk would be vacuforming the fuselage in 2 halves, and gorilla gluing in the necessary wood pieces [firewall, wing blocks, servo rails]. I would think it could be done light enough for 1/2A, and be strong enough for the forces of flight. I don't know enough about plastics to be sure, but there must be a good all around material for this sort of thing. Another idea would be to use that expanding foam in a hollow mold, but then you would be left with something that needed a fuel proof finish.

FLYSWATTER, You really know your FW190s! It's funny how close in performance all the different planes were by the end of the war. Now tell me, what's wrong with this picture? It's taken from my DADs' scrapbook.

Name:	Hf99110.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	375537  
Old 12-25-2005, 06:46 PM
D Bronk

STARS and BARS ,,looks like a Corsair F2G canopy(late model),with a cut down turtle deck.Axles are a little bit too close,l to the horizon.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:24 PM
combatpigg

STEE-RIKE ONE !!!
Old 12-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Phlip

Now tell me, what's wrong with this picture?
Gear doors look funny, or nonexistent?

Is there something funny on the end of the wing? Pic is pretty blurry.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:11 PM
D Bronk

I was pretty sure, untill I looked closer at my drawings.[] THEY`re a bit different..Does it have, anything to do with the canopy???If so, I have 1 more guess

Name:	Mk25178.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	375652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90547.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	375653  
Old 12-25-2005, 11:13 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I don't get it. Aside from it being in American markings(several were shipped here for evaluation, several more were flown in RAF colors), there is nothing terribly remarkable about that Focke-Wulf.
By the way, ever seen capturedeagles.com with all the Allied aircraft in Luftwaffe markings? Pretty cool...
Old 12-25-2005, 11:35 PM
combatpigg

DAVE, it's a FW 190 that my DADs' fighter group came across once they advanced into STUTTGART. They also got their hands on a ME 262 "JET JOB", must of been like looking at a UFO back then.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:19 AM
D Bronk

So did the Germans, have it painted up like that, to sneak around.Or was that a captured, and repainted plane, so that the Americans could do some flight testing/comparison, and not get shot down, by their own guns,accidently..If I`m not mistaken ,there was a captured ZERO ,that was marked with American Badging, and tested as well, so that,it could be figured out ,as to what the Japs had for a fighter.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:28 AM
scudrunner77

It's my understanding that they would paint a captured plane in their own colors so they would not accidentally shoot it down. Could you imagine what it would be like to get to become proficient in your enemies plane. That would be priceless information...to know all the strengths and weaknesses. That's why from here on out you will never fly my combat wings [8D].

Good idea with the whiffle ball bat.... Maybe you could just use the bat itself. Do you think it would be too heavy
Old 12-26-2005, 12:40 AM
combatpigg

By the time my DADs' fighter group set up operations in STUTTGART, there were a few GERMAN planes left behind that were still intact. I asked my DAD about it, they did some flight testing right there in GERMANY. My DADs' group was made up with P-47s, so the FW 190 shouldn't have seemed too different to whoever was chosen to test it out. They didn't get to play with the "jet-job" though, that thing was dismantled and sent home right away.

I got stationed in a town near STUTTGART in the 1970s, my duty station was at one of the LUFTWAFFEs' original assembly plants, old crumbly wiring and all. Small world!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.