Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

2006 Design Contest Official rules

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

2006 Design Contest Official rules

Old 12-31-2005, 01:35 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 2006 Design Contest Official rules

I signed up, don't have a plan yet, but I hope to think of something in a timely manner....
Old 12-31-2005, 07:00 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The contest site is up and running. Just go to [link=http://www.donatelli.net/contest/]http://www.donatelli.net/contest/[/link], select the 2006 contest and login using the username and password you sent me. You can click the edit button to edit your entry as well as upload or delete files, or click on any of the names to view the other entries. Some people did not send me their last names, so if you want it there, send it to me. For those of you who did not send me a desired password, it will be the same one you used last year.

When uploading files, please make sure they are a jpg or gif for images and try to limit the resolution to 800X600 or smaller. For videos, wmv, mpg and mov are fine. If anyone needs help with image or video conversion, let me know.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Aussie Damo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am a little confused where is contest held or is everything (judgeing etc.) done over the net through videos and pics. if its is the latter i will join up as i am in australia
Old 01-01-2006, 05:35 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It all takes place over the net Aussie. It's all for fun and show with nothing but bragging rights for being the winner. Actually the whole point is that everyone is a winner as we all end up with a new and unique airplane.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:42 AM
Bipe Flyer

Send me your info and I'll set you up.

I find the most rewarding part is seeing what people can think up and make fly.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Bipe Flyer

I've been asked by a couple of people if scaling down an existing model is OK for the contest. I'm not sure on this one. On the one hand, it isn't really what the contest is about; but on the other, it gets someone to scratch build for the first time. What do you guys think?
Old 01-04-2006, 02:46 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Well, it's still unique and not everybody has mechanical drawing skills. Didn't Rog do this with a four-star last year for the contest? That was a really nice looking plane too. Maybe the rule could be that the original has to be over a certain spec. Like over .25 size?
Old 01-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Bipe Flyer

Maybe we should just require people to state that they are scaling down a model, not designing one.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:22 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Or that.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:23 PM
D Bronk

(Latest post from BIPER)

.I've been asked by a couple of people if scaling down an existing model is OK for the contest. I'm not sure on this one. On the one hand, it isn't really what the contest is about; but on the other, it gets someone to scratch build for the first time. What do you guys think?

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

The website for the design contest is http://www.donatelli.net/contest/

2006 1/2A Design Contest Rules

( My Thoughts on the matter.These are just some ideas)DAVE B.

1. The model may be powered by any combination of engines as long as they are all internal combustion with none having a displacement larger than .061cu (1cc).

(allow the 1/2a electric power.Specify an inexpensive power system,comparable to a glow eng.(battery and MOTOR)And no variations from that(.The aircraft Must be capable of accepting a Glow engine with no major MODS).It allows folks who don`t want glow engines to play the game, with the rest of us)

2. There are no restrictions on model design as long as it is designed and built by the entrant. I.E. the model can be scale, sport, twin, profile, control line, free flight etc.

(I too, was hoping to use the assistance of a plan(scaled ,to be capable of useing, the contests power requirements)I`m really new to the Scratch building aspects.And have found that alone, to be a very big challenge in itself...HOW about , a scratch built plane,from plans(1`st year entry only).REQUIRE photo documenting of the build,proving that the entrant,did NOT, use a boxed kit??)

3. Teams are allowed.

(HELP is always good.Every one has no problem shareing,their ideas and tips.I really like the freedom, of being able to ask others in these forums for suggestions,and not being considered an Idiot,for asking)

4. The contest starts Jan. 1, 2006 and all entries must be completed and flown by April 30, 2006.

(This rule has been tossed .Some folks have started building,in previous Contests(You know who you are LOL)..

5. Judging will be for one week with 5 votes allocated for each entrant to use and a single vote for any visitors to the contest site. The entrants will vote on 3 planes with 3 votes for 1st, 2 votes for 2nd and 1 vote for 3rd.

( I`m not quite clear on this.I count a total of 6 votes as posted above)

If people want to enter the contest , send me your name, RCU name and a password for the contest site. DO NOT send me your RCU password. Send me a new password that you want to use for the contest site. The contest website will be at http://www.donatelli.net/contest .

.ANDREW maybe us 1`st year entrants can be cut a bit of slack, in regards, to some of the rules.But not on the 2`nd year,.The 2`nd year ,and later ,have to follow ,Your Strict ruleing,from the 2`nd year on..If these ideas are no good.I have ideas for a design ,and will go that route...I`m thinking some changes ,will get more people involved ,that would otherwise not participate..The more folks entered ,is all the BETTER .Please don`t feel obligated,these are just ideas for everyone to think about..Dave B.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:36 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am fine with someone entering a scaled model of an already exisiting design. There is still quite a bit of work involved the in the scaling as well as structure work. I would agree that it also encourages others to get involved that may not otherwise. It is a good starting point in the scratch building / designing adventure.

I think the builder should also state this in the beginning (scaling down an existing design).

Brian
Old 01-04-2006, 03:47 PM
KidEpoxy

My 2cents on the electrics-
We have seen the olympics go from amature athletes to the dream team pro ball players, let's not have a 1/2A Glow Contest 'Now with electrics' just to be PC/fair. I see no reason we can't have an Electric contest too, after the glow. Sure many of the designs can go glow or electric, no reason a glow entry can't declare it to be in the upcoming electric contest too. You want to make a TD c130 that will be in the 400 class contest too? Go for it. But remember, them sparkies dont have to fuelproof, and it's a whole different set of construction media for them, so it's actually nor really fair to the fuelies.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Bipe Flyer

They are pretty soft rules for the most part. I guess it feels like scaling down is just one step away from just building from someone else's plan. Not a bad exercise and a valuable learning experience, but does it fit what the contest is about? As for the electrics, I definitely don't think that is what the contest is about. In my mind this contest is to promote scratch building and 1/2A glow power, what's left of it. I'd say that if electrics were allowed, we should scrap the size limit.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:17 PM
D Bronk

AS far As electrics go. I personally have no use for them.USED to have a few in R/C cars.And really hated waiting for Batteries to charge 10 min.Drive time,15 min.charge time.RUNNING a couple Chargers and a bunch of batteries ,I still seemed to end up waiting on a battery somewhere along the line ,when it was supposed to be Play time..I`m set-up for glow now, and I just won`t go backwards.NO noise restrictions ,in "MY Kingdom" ...KING DAVE
Old 01-04-2006, 06:35 PM
hogflyer

While I can’t participate in this years contest (I’m moving to Wichita next week and all my modeling supplies will be stuck in St. Louis for a couple of months), I do have some thoughts on the current discussion. One thing about scaling down an existing design – while you may retain the looks of the original design, the actual structure will have to be completely designed for it to fly 1/2A successfully – just require the contestant to design their own internal structure and prove they didn’t take a set of large plans to Kinko’s copy machine (like a picture of the contestant with drawing instruments or computer at hand showing them designing the model (or the Scouts Honor method). Also, what about someone who wants to enter Gee Bee R-1? Since there have been many designs of this plane in numerous scales, could it be argued that it’s just a scale down of another design? Henry Haffke has designed several versions of the Gee Bee aircraft in different scales. Looking at the plans listing AMA has, there are over 40 plans shown for the various Gee Bee variants. How about the multitude of Extra’s, Yak’s, or Ultimate Bipes, etc. out these days in all sizes – they will all have similar internal layout so should that be eliminated since it’s been modeled in a larger scale and can be considered just a scale down of an existing design?

One last thought - how about having the plans for the designs entered be available for others to build? There’re been several planes I’ve seen from previous contest that I’d like to build. That may get more scratch building going and let the less experienced builders learn even more with different building styles and see how others have developed their structures, hopefully planting the seed so they can develop their own design for a future contest.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Bipe Flyer

Good points.

I don't think it would be fair to make it a requirement to have people share their plans for free. They own them and can do whatever they please with them. However, if peope do want to share their plans, they can upload them to the contest site.

I think we could put together a pretty decent book on 1/2A constructon, complete with plans.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:32 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Its a toughy,,basically I did go to office depot with the plans from a 4 star and reduced them...what did I find out?? It doesnt work well BUT it is what I wanted to design,,we had this arguement last year...If I go to the airport and take a pic of a Piper and found out its length and WS and then scale it down ....I see that as pretty much the same thing, perhaps a bit more math but thats all...I have never entered this contest thinking I would win against most of you guys,,,I am participating and enjoying it...can I make my own engines? nope..make a star cruiser?, nope...this year I am toying with the idea of making a .40 size trainer (or close) that is just a shell keeping it as close to a pound ( norvel .061) as I can just to freak out the guys at the field,,fun for me,,hardly a winner for the contest,probably too weak of a structure to last very long, if it doesnt float away[X(],,,,maybe a flying pyramid?....Rog
Old 01-04-2006, 11:12 PM
KidEpoxy

As for sharing plans, I will, but I dont see the need to force others to. More to the point, as a scratch build contest the projects should just inspire other scratchers to emulate your design in their own way- a 100% scale scratch off you plane. Like posting construction pics and some notes on a cool procedure you did, not true plans. Also, I dont want to have to scan the napkin I doodled with a crayon on , my designs are mostly 'till it fits good' or 'whatever is cheapest'.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

One thing about scaling down an existing design – while you may retain the looks of the original design, the actual structure will have to be completely designed for it to fly 1/2A successfully – just require the contestant to design their own internal structure and prove they didn’t take a set of large plans to Kinko’s copy machine (like a picture of the contestant with drawing instruments or computer at hand showing them designing the model (or the Scouts Honor method).
I've always thought the term "contest" tended to place a little too much emphasis on competition rather than building and really prefer to think of it as the 1/2A Design Challenge. Whether someone chooses to downscale an existing model, work from a set of 3-views, build a scale model or put together something totally new matters little. There are always design problems that have to be overcome -- weight, wing loading, balance, space limitation, linkages, etc. present difficulties not usually found in the larger planes. How the builder attacks and solves these situations is what the contest is about.

I like the soft rule set -- the results have been beautiful planes, smart designs, some excellent craftsmanship and real innovation.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:51 AM
Bipe Flyer

So then, the general consensus seems to be that it should be allowed, and it has been allowed in the past. In fact one of Matchlessaero's planes was actually scaled up for the first contest.

On a completely different subject. Where the heck is Dickeybird? Is AJC in this year? Soarrich instigated all this madness and hasn't entered since the first year.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:50 AM
D Bronk

I would like to see PETER Burford ,enter ,and use his Diesel engine, in his entry
Old 01-05-2006, 04:34 AM
Bipe Flyer

Combatpigg hasn't signed up yet either.

We're up to 26 entries from 4 countries so far.
Australia
Canada
United Kingdom
United States

Maybe we should rename it the "International 1/2A Design Challenge".
Old 01-05-2006, 04:54 AM
Aussie Damo

i think that name would be great
looks like australia is representing the southern hemisphere and combatpigg has to sign up

ps. am i the only one from australia or is somebody else aswell
Old 01-05-2006, 05:00 AM
Bipe Flyer

There's one other... so far.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:51 AM
brocja01

Hey All, I just wanted tell everyone that I will be watching this thread like a hawk. I'm building a DNU right now and am having a fun time doing it. Making little deviations from the plans to make due with what I have, and coming up with Ideas (which I know have been thought up of before) on my own to make the model my own. I won't be able to join the challenge this year, but hopefully next year. I need to get some more exp. underneath me and with the baby on the way, money is tight! But I can't wait to see all the planes.

Good luck to everyone building!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.