Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Need advice with guillow's conversion

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Need advice with guillow's conversion

Old 12-04-2002, 02:57 PM
spudnick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice with guillow's conversion

hello everybody. I need some help I'm about to convert a guillow's 3/4 scale hellcat to electric flight but don't know what motor, servos, or gearbox if any. Also what covering should be used. I want to keep it as light as possible so I thought about using JR sub micro or HS-50 servos do the HS-50 have enough torque to move the control surfaces.

Thanks in advance Chris
Old 12-05-2002, 12:47 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

do a search, most will tell you not to bother, and get a model that was built to fly under power.......Rog
Old 12-05-2002, 01:21 AM
Nitro-Nut

Default HOLY HELLCATS BATMAN...

Hey Mr Spud,

Did you see the eelectric Hellcat article in the November issue of RCU Magazine??
Old 12-05-2002, 01:52 AM
Derek_TX

Default It can work, but . . .

But, there are many compromises. Strength vs weight being the major two. Eppenage area and airfoils are another.

If you put a speed 300, 5:1 gear box, 8-6 prop & use 720 mAh NiMH 8 cell, the plane will fly well...until you crash or hit hard.

The problem is the structure/design is not made to handle the weight. If you beef it up to handle the weight, then you will have a wing loading that will make the plane less than easy to keep intact.

Alternatively, you can go light and use a GWS indoor power system. Might work, but I dont make the 8 0z & below type planes.

I do design very good flying 10-14 oz planes with 200-250 sq in wings pulled by speed 300's. If the Guillows1000 series planes were $20 instead of $45 I might be inclined to make one fly electric.... but instead i think $45 is better spent on something like a Herr kit. Or an SR batteries kit... or one of many others sold for small electric.

I am guessing you don't want a foam scale model, but if so, there are lots of them too, for about the same price as the Guillows kit.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:31 PM
spudnick

Default The scorpio hellcat

yeah nitro-nut I saw that one, the video clip looked sweet. It looked pretty scale and had one a really cool paint job.

Thanks for your info Derek. I do understand that it's not made to take a beating but I must do this even if it does have some catastrophic failure it's got to fly even for a second. Just one more question do you think putting JR sub micro servos is necessary should I take the extra weight of micro or mini servo.

Thanks for all your help, Chris
Old 12-06-2002, 11:42 PM
Proace

My partner at work built a Guillow Hellcat with a geared speed 280 and all the micro stuff. It had the power but had the flight characteristics of a tree branch. He built a new wing with a different airfoil and now it flys great. I'll tell him about this thread a maybe he can give you some details.
Old 12-07-2002, 04:21 AM
Derek_TX

Default Found this...

Here is a really good breakdown on the idea:
http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/200...r/rubber.shtml
Old 12-09-2002, 06:19 AM
Gmoney1986

Default bearcat and Dauntless

Hello all

I was very interested to find this on here because I too am in the midst of such a project. I'm attempting conversion of a SBD Dauntless to electric. It's a Guillow's as well. I'm using a Geared 280 along with a GWS micro package ( Mini reciever, servos, horns, speed control, and 8 cell battery) If you use JR I this is a great package except for the speed control. I'm just about to start on the fuselage tommorow. I've already completed wings, rudder,and Stab.

What really gave me this idea was the article in model airplane news where the guy convereted the Bearcat to electric. It was a Dumas kit.

So far on mine everything looks great, I havent made any adjustments to the plans except to the control surfaces. I've extended the aielerons and elv. just slightly. When I started this project the guy at the hobby shop said I was crazy but After showing him the wings and other surfaces he was swayed.

After I'm done with this baby I want to get started on the twin electric Speed 400 ME 262 desinged by Mark Rittenger. After reading the article and imagining a 200 foot dive into a low level pass followed by a victory role at more than 80! I was sold on my next project. If you need any specifics email me!

Later-Gary
Old 12-09-2002, 03:38 PM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar reactions to PROACE noted above, in converting a Guillow SE5 to 0.020 power. It just did not climb, nor stay steady, nor attack even a simple breeze. As suggested, I should have revised the airfoil and the dihedral a bit away from rubber design.

I see these and the big scale ones at swap meets for under $10 all the time.

Wm.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:12 PM
LoneRanger

Inverted .049, sheet wings with thin stuff, CS-21's or the like, 150mah battery, micro555 reciever, hope your good at the sticks- HAVE FUN :stupid:

LONERANGER
Old 12-10-2002, 03:55 AM
Proace

"Hey y'all watch this!" Isn't that the famous last words a redneck says before he does something stupid and ends up getting killed?
I like being a redneck..

I would think some strength could be had by sheeting the model with 1/32 lite balsa without adding too much extra weight.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:32 PM
spudnick

Thanks this thread has been a big help to me I've ordered all the servos and stuff so I hope to start construction soon
Old 12-13-2002, 12:56 AM
Proace

Great! Please keep us informed on your progress and good luck.