Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tank Position

Old 12-15-2002, 12:30 AM
Graxafone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank Position

I have a Norvel .061 for my plane. The directions recommend a 2 ounce tank, but I'm using a 4 ounce. I will also use the pressure from the muffler to help out the engine. The tank will not be level with the engine like it should. Is this all right? Any advice? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:31 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank

Stick to the 2oz tank if it means you can place it properly, if tanks to high it will flood and needle settings hard to set and to low and it will lean out in flight, 2oz should give you plenty of run time,
Old 12-15-2002, 04:43 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agree with FastLash

4 oz's is way more than enough to get ridiculously long flight times.
2 oz's will probably allow you to fly longer than you would want at one time anyway.
Placing the tank correctly (centerline of carb spraybar) also means that you will get quality runs for the entire run. Frankly, if you run the 4oz, and it is not placed right, it may not run then entire tank out anyway.

Stick with the 2.

You may also want to consider mounting the engine on its side to help with the tank/carb alignment.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:44 PM
BMatthews

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tank Position

Just to put the final nail into the 4 oz tank coffin....

Most of these model engines can only draw from so large a tank. You can put a bigger tank on there but what happens is that it's so hard to draw the fuel CONSISTENTLY (note emphasis here) that you usually end up getting SHORTER runs from the big tank than from a properley sized tank. If you set the needle for a good peaked run it goes lean way too early on the big tank but on a proper size tank it can draw the fuel properly. Add to that the fuel sloshing around during flight and creating larger pressure pulses with the larger tank and you have a recipe for rotten running.

Hopefully this helps you understand what's going on.

And muffler pressure is highly over rated. It's a very weak pressure that's only slightly better than open air. It's not like other higher pressure systems where you could run larger than normal fuel supplies. In fact some engines actually run better without the muffler pressure.