Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Confused about Castor oil?? Me Too

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Confused about Castor oil?? Me Too

Old 08-24-2006, 08:48 AM
D Bronk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused about Castor oil?? Me Too

I`ve had this on my mind, for some time now, and would like to get the facts Straight..I want to Clarify ,the Castor Bean Oil mystery..I`ve heard all kinds of Terms,such as ,De-gummed ,AAA,AA,Bakers ,Pharmaceutical,Ricin,USP.What I really want to know is what oils are acceptable to use in our little Engines..I`m sure ,this will take me quit a bit of time, to figure out .If you have a good understanding of this topic ..Please feel free, to Add to the thread.Got a Question, that relates to the topic put it in here too..Here`s a pdf. that explains the De-gumming process pretty well,it shows Canola oils ,but Castor is done the same way..I`ll put more info in here as I find it..Maybe we can find out ,if Pharmaceutical grade castor oil, is ,or ,is not safe to use in a 1/2A engine,Why, or, Why not ,Etc..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13547.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	512448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40711.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	512449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41364.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	512450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84724.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	512451  
Old 08-24-2006, 09:13 AM
SGC

Default RE: Confused about Castor oil?? Me Too

Dave,
Basicaly you get 2 types of bean/seed oil, 1/ first press , 2/ extreme pressed , were all remaining oil is extracted. Now first press oils useually contain no gums, medicinal castor is 1st press as it also contains no/low levels of the toxin makeing it suitable for internal use, this also means its suitable for our model motors. You'll comonly see Olive oil sold as virgin, this is 1st press and is also low in gums. The remaining oils extracted by extreme pressures are the type needing degumming.
Back to castor, some castor is heated to cause a level of polimeriseation which modifies the molecules allowing it to mix with petrolium based fuels. A good read on castor can be found here :- http://modelenginenews.org/faq/index.html#qa5
Stewart
Old 08-24-2006, 09:23 AM
KidEpoxy

ok, sweet (if I can say that about pharm castor)

Wallyworld had 4oz Castor for $2 IIR
and you can get some of that 50cent 2liter Soda and $4 8pc fried chicken while you're there....

Too bad Tower doesnt sell 8pc fried chicken by FedEx, I have to drive 25miles to wallys
Could you imagine how expensive SIG 2ltr Soda would be?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:46 AM
SGC

Ive been recently reading up on vegitable oils in general as lubricants to find alternatives for use in diesel fuel, it seems that vegi oil in general all have similar properties to castor and are better lubricants than either mineral, or synthetic oils but have 2 drawbacks that make them undesireable for use in 4st (automotive ) engines 1/ they oxidise easily, 2/ they polimerise/plastisise( form varnish) when heated, these 2 traits are not a concern in our model motors the oxidisation isnt a problem as the oil isnt in the motor long and the polimerisation is what protects duering a lean run, or in the case of diesels lubricates the piston pin which is under much higher pressures. re the automotive applications recent studies have developed ways to stabilise the oil to remove the 2 negatives without reduceing the lubrication qualities, and real tests have shown improved fuel ecconomy in both older and new cars and also reduced emissions and lower oil consumption-- with lower wear rates on components. one site i visited had the diagram that explains simply why vegi oil is such a great lubricant.
Stewart

Name:	If10586.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	512473  
Old 08-24-2006, 04:03 PM
D Bronk

I see no reason a person can not use USP Castor oil (United States Pharmaceutical) from the drug store.. As Stewart says ,it is of the early "Squeeze" in the Pressing Stage, and ,the Gum stage doesn`t come onto effect untill the 2`nd "Squeeze"that second Squeeze is of a lower grade and can be Upgraded ,by De-gumming.I suppose, that is why the drug store bought, Castor oil,is more expensive than Castor ,Say from Sig.I`ve been hunting around ,and I`m starting to wonder, about these AAA Castor oils ,that the fuel manufactures speak of,.I`m not finding ,anything about it ,except for in their Ads...Here`s a PDF from Castrol..the Castrol M series oil, seems to be suitable, for boosting the castor oil content, in our Model fuels..I`m not sure what a Quart Costs ,but I`m starting to think, that ,Its the Castor ,being used in the fuels we buy.. Check the forth page below..

Name:	Zx70143.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	512658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16150.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	512659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66339.jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	512660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21693.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	512661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dp83949.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	512662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul79009.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	512663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np17990.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	512664  
Old 08-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baker is the main US distributer of all castor oil. Their grade's are A and AA. AA is the first pressing, it does not contain any gum. A is the second pressing, it will have some gum from the bean hull. The first pressing just breaks the shells and the oil flows out. The second pressing presses firmly squeasing out the remainder. The first pressing (AA) will be gold to brownish gold in color, the second pressing (A) will have a light green tent to it. The USP uses AA because it has less likely hood of having ricin, a deadly poisen, then their is additional tests to be sure it has no poisen. Also more paperwork and liability. There are some who process the A grade to get rid of the gum but I am told it is inferior to the AA.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:28 PM
D Bronk

Thanks Stewart ..Good link
Old 08-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Andrew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of the fuel suppliers use Klotz lubricants, both the synthetic and castor oils. I add Klotz BeNol (bean oil) to bring the castor content up. You can get BeNol thru Tower Hobbies or other on-line speed shops. If you have a race shop (motocross or go kart) locally, you may also be able to find racing castor there.

I've found it as low as $10.99 a quart on-line, but you usually need to buy several bottles to hold the shipping cost down.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:19 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

So veggie oil can replace castor? If so, thats cool, that doesnt cost anything because its right over there in the pantry!
Old 08-24-2006, 11:30 PM
SGC

Please note other vegi oils arent as good as castor, depending on which is used you may get more varnish buildup or other undesirable things happening , there is a simple method to give other oils some of the castor oil traits, the results depend on the base oil used( I'll make no recomedations). See this post for more details :- http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45...4/key_/tm.htm#
I'ed suggest some testing befor commiting to its use, preferably in a run in motor that you consider disposeable.
Stewart
Old 08-24-2006, 11:46 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

i dont want to use it to run, i just want it to do the 100 turn thing with my norvel.[X(]
Old 08-25-2006, 08:20 PM
D Bronk

Don`t use cooking oil ..You just need 3 drops of 5w-30 ,or, 10w30 ,"NEW and Clean"Car engine oil..Take your Glow plug out ,put your piston 1/2 way down the cylinder ,and put the oil on the top of the piston.Put your cylinder head back on,without the glow plug in it ,and flip it over slowly at first..When are you going to run the engine??
Old 08-27-2006, 07:17 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

This week if i can get 5w-30 or 10w-30. Next weekend if i have to go to a hobby shop to get castor.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:32 PM
D Bronk

Do you have a gas Station Near by??
Old 08-27-2006, 08:45 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

yup!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:59 PM
D Bronk

Go there, and grab an oil bottle out of the trash, that has the lid on it .There will still be, at least 3 drops of oil in it..Use that.. Run your Cox Fuel,to break the engine in.