Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Hey!! Crew, 30 day red alert!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Hey!! Crew, 30 day red alert!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:49 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hey!! Crew, 30 day red alert!!

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang
..... Start thinking of theam music for the background... "Another One Bites The Dust"??? [:@]
Yackety Sax comes to mind with this motley crew of intreped, dastardly model aviators. Let the caos and carnage, uh,.....demolition, uh,..... I mean races, yeah..... thats it, races begin.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:58 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Okay boys , just got through building a purpose built crasher, it is 03:45 am (left work early) its a DNU fuse (but dis IS ugly)with a sheet wing racer (killer buzz) wing and tail with a Norvel .074 14 oz, nose heavy,no room for a throttle servo so its wired open, your guess is as good as mine!! When it gets fired up I may ask for volunteer pilots,,my rivets is ready and I got a couple of leckys too..It'll be a good 24 hours of me being up by the time we wind down this afternoon,,so if I start to get cranky, just remind me we only do this twice a year and then throw something at me , you know like a mini servo or something, not a Tx!.....see you guys in a few...Rog
Old 09-30-2006, 03:16 AM
flyinrog

Last minute cry for parts..anybody got an aluminum bent front landing gear , like on simple series only for a .25-.40 size plane...I need one to make a tail dragger out of my trainer, front wheel bracket broke off and the wheels are too small anyway..if so bring it and we'll haggle..Rog
Old 09-30-2006, 07:37 AM
rainedave

rog, I'm bringing the aluminum gear with wheels from my Stinger 10 kit. I hope they're big enough. Bring some mounting bolts!

David
Old 09-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

I had a great time today, glad so many of you could make it. I shot a lot of photos and a little video today,
if someone is the designated collector and distributor of such things, please speak up, as I don't have anybody's
email addresses yet, but it would be nice if we could all share around. Later, Mike
Old 09-30-2006, 03:51 PM
BSARGE

Hey I had fun too! Even though I couldn't fly!!![&o] Don't ever buy servos from this place:

http://www.bidproduct.com/part/Produ..._SERVOS_1.html

Cheap, no good servos...that's why I couldn't fly...aileron servo quit after 2 flights earlier this week...being new to 1/2a I did learn a lot out there today...especially to bring a lot of ca glue!
Old 09-30-2006, 04:53 PM
rainedave

What an awesome group of people! I had a fantastic time. I was so impressed by everyone's planes and flying!

1/2A is the way to go in NC!

Thank you rog - and everyone - for a great day.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Sarge,

Man I didn't know you need a couple of servos to get in the air. I have 3 extras with me that I would been glad to share.

LAter,
Tim
Old 09-30-2006, 05:29 PM
rainedave

The day was almost folklorish in nature. Remember that tortoise and the hare story...

Well, the tortoise's name is Martha.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Well it was yet another crazy day for the Carolina 1/2a Crew! Rog could not have made it a better day for us. The weather was GREAT. Alittle windy towards the afternoon but plenty of sun and cooler temps. It was really really great seeing all you guys again and meeting so many new faces too! There had to be 20 or 25 guys there today. Not bad when it was only 6 or so of us just a couple of years ago. Now for all you new guys that didn't fly this time....next time ya'll better come ready to go!!!! Thanks for a great day everyone!!!

LAter,
Tim
Old 09-30-2006, 06:11 PM
BSARGE

ORIGINAL: Tim Wiltse-RCU

Sarge,

Man I didn't know you need a couple of servos to get in the air. I have 3 extras with me that I would been glad to share.

LAter,
Tim
Tim-
Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it....but I think I deserved it since I was trying to fly with $3 servos!!![X(] But what do you expect from a guy who drinks coors light? I will be ready for the next time!

thanks again
-Bill
Old 09-30-2006, 06:41 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Mike, I am trying to get a magazine article together. If you could e-mail of CD those pics to me I will add them in the photo list. I will send you my e-mail address. BTW, good seeing you again after all these years!!!

Bob Harris
Old 09-30-2006, 07:03 PM
tangerine-jack

I had a blast! Loooonnnngg drive home (4 hours) I'm pretty tired, but thanks for a great day! Let me know who is compiling the photos and I'll email mine out.
Thanks, Rog! Next year I'm competing for sure, I have a wing and some parts.......hmmm........
Old 09-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Hey TJ and I should hve won something for the best hats[X(][X(]

Later,
Tim
Old 09-30-2006, 10:01 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Helmets would be a more accurate description of the head gear. Tj gets second without the goggles, However while bespectacled it gets close.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:40 PM
hogflyer

ORIGINAL: BSARGE
.............. But what do you expect from a guy who drinks coors light?

[/quote]

Colorado Kool Aid
Old 09-30-2006, 11:04 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

[>:]HEY! I spent all day gutting a steenking bathroom that hasn't been remodeled in 15 years.....and all I want now is a report about what went down today. justthefacts, man! It's midnight your time, and someone musthave something to tell about the @#$%&*@#$ mouse racing?!?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:38 PM
hogflyer

CP -

FLAPS ARE FOR FUN.....I just finished the initial test flights of my NextStar with flapperons today. Lots of fun, better results than I expected. Slowed from a walk to a crawl. Lands a whole lot better with them than with out.

Hogflyer
Old 10-01-2006, 12:35 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn't fly 3D without flaperons, or spoilerons, but that is done without adding any weight. All that mode adds is performance.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:02 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Now that I've seen you in action I can appreciate better the photos in post number 235. I'm not the onlt one who was impressed with your inginuity and craftsmanship BUT old buddy you left out your pit box. Hows 'bout sharing a closer shot of that too.

My final word on your model, whatever its name really is, is how well she and her engine were running - at the end of the day. Why does it always work that test flights and the last few are always the best - but not those in compost-ish-un? Anyone, Bheuler, anyone?

(P.S. I enjoyed shooting bulls with you at the end of the day. Ah, good times, good times - and good people.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:38 AM
flyswatter

Great time. Speaking for the GA contingent, we enjoyed ourselves. Unfortunately, all has returned to normal here. I am going to the field today - we have to do some more planning for the club's December Fly-in! Patrick has to work tonight AND all day tomorrow, so I guess I won't be seeing him for a while.

Roger, thanks to you and your club for another great event and a chance to meet with the 1/2A guys again. Congradulations to all the winners. Especial recognition should go to the pt memorial trophy winner - whoever that was! BTW, Vic, is that plane sold on a stick that you have to trim off before flying or what? In truth, I liked the color, even I could see it on the course.

Raymond, thanks for keeping up that respect thang that the young whipper-snappers should be showing us more mature gentlemen! Way to go!!

Thanks again fellows for all the fun.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-01-2006, 07:41 AM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

I had a great time as well. Always fun to meet up at a flying event for the same purpose and connect screen names with faces.

There were about 20-25 guys present and about 8 reedie racers that competed. Two heats of 4 racers with the winners of each competing in the final race. I flew Dave's (Rainedav) Miss Martha with a SS up front. Nathan, my son was part of our team as airplane retriever. It was tail heavy during the first race which made it a challenge, but we got our 5 laps in. The final race was much better after we placed a 3/8" socket in the nose = first place.

The biggest challenge seemed to be getting our engines to start and keep running - quite a lull / bit of silence after signal given to start engines by Dan ("30 seconds to minute thirty for 30 seconds, or something similar in his words).

I was extremely impressed with Tim-Wiltse and Mike (DF) with their engines - they ran great. Had everything worked out during the race they would have easily won. In fact, as I was on lap 3 of the final race I started to panic... I told Dave (Rainedav) that we are not out of the woods yet, if those guys get their engines going strong they could catch up with our Miss Martha.

As Raymond mentioned, those two put on quite a show after the races were finished - awesome planes / engines.

Great seeing Bob Harris and his CG Wizard C/L model flying. Gave everyone a chance at it. Rule - everyone had to go through at least one tank worth = how many dizzying circles?

Raymond had a simple test stand with 3 TD .010's just so we could see / hear the experience. Very cool. It took awhile, but he had all 3 of them running smooth.

Tim had a great hat - yellow hard hat w/ look alike RR1 mounted on top w/ large prop. Weather vane?

Great time, great hangar talk, and good food (thanks Banjoairplane).

Those of you out there thinking about joining us next time - start drawing up / working on your racers. Post here.... those of us who raced, or watched, this weekend have plenty of advice on how to do it right (or at least better), especially after all we went through yesterday. Lots of fun to be had and plenty of laughing.

Brian (Av8rsodt)
Old 10-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Roger,

Once again, a GREAT job. I do have one request. Next year, turn OFF those transmitters on the frequencies that me, Bob, and Tim are flying on!!... Come on, 3 crashes in ONE heat!!!.. Yeah.. that was pilot error??????? Don't worry, I've got something already cookin' for you for next year.

Always a pleasure seeing the old friends in the Carolina Crew plus the new folks that decided to take part in our little party. Sure is a sign of a good thing when it gets BIGGER every year.

Hats off to the CHEF who cooked a great lunch! Roger, you've got to keep him on the payroll!!!

Good Flying, Food, and most importantly Friends......

I'm already planning for next year!!!... and when is the first one NEXT YEAR ROGER??????

Deadstik Dan
Old 10-02-2006, 06:57 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

I am taking donations to set up the grill at the next meet next to Raymonds pit area!
Dan,I enjoy cooking.Next meet I am going to have something to fly if I have to steal one![:@]
Old 10-21-2006, 01:38 AM
hollerp89

[&o][] i got a new cox .09 madellion well never beev used? i want to put in a guillows
coursair . my prob is i cant get it started. i got new super 1/2 a fule for it .
ive done everything in the instructions over an over but all it will do is crack an pop.
what am i doing wrong, i do need a little help its firing but wont do it. paper says needle valve 5 turns out? i really dont know. need help ? bob [&o]