Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Hey Dude!! Can you, HOOK me Up??

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Hey Dude!! Can you, HOOK me Up??

Old 12-25-2006, 02:58 AM
old git

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hey Dude!! Can you, HOOK me Up??

Hi all, and seasonal greetings to our readers.

I'm glad you have your lathe now, feels really good doesn't it but the best and worst is yet to come.

Work safely and as I was taught, measure twice and cut once.

Never worked for me either but it's a good philosophy.

Best of luck!

old git - - - - - - - -aka John L.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:46 PM
D Bronk

Thanks John.Yes it`s a good feeling..Will be even better, when I see Cuttings fly.Safety and Common sense is pretty important.It don`t take long ,for a person to get wound up and dragged into a machine like that..I definately rather Chuck a piece of overcut material,than have to go Running to the Hospital, to have a finger re-attached or Worse..Besides once you cut something a little to much you just have to chane the Scale of everything else and call it re-engineered
Old 12-26-2006, 05:02 AM
old git

I suddenly remembered why I really answered your post.

We have a paint product here in UK known as "Hammerite paint". I don't know if it is available to you over there. It is very durable and fairly chemically resistant. It covers well over most things except loose paint or loose rust. It has a hammered texture finish that looks good on machines. I seem to remember that it has a high silicone content which helps it to resist chemical attack.

If you look at old machines that have been knocked about a bit, they have a smooth paint finish but where the corners of castings etc have been damaged there are signs of a filler.

Later, cheaper machines are often finished with Hammerite where the hammered finish covers up irregularities of the surface finish on the metal substrate.

A modern cheap machine can have the rough parts fettled with a fine disk on an angle grinder prior to repainting with Hammerite. Be sure to protect any machined surfaces and yourself!

Finally, Hammerite is applied with a brush so masking is not needed. I can't remember the solvent but the manufacturer can supply a proprietary solvent.

Some people have seen the advertised virtues of Hammerite and painted their cars. The finished result is invariably really horrible.

I have seen "Smoothrite" advertised but have no experience of it.

old git - - - - - - -aka John L.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:59 AM
D Bronk

..Hmm,,seems it`s been awhile ,since I`ve been in here..Quick update Still haven`t plugged the lathe in..It sits in the Basement on the concrete.Not a comfortable height to work at..I`m fixing that little problem Now..Spring is coming Quick, and I want to get this all going including the Little Foundry..Here`s some pics of the Start of my Work Station.It was a Bench kit that went on a 50% off Sale at Canadian Tire stores.It`s a good Base to Start from ,but I wouldn`t trust it without modifications,Pretty Wobbly..I have Lots of work left to do to this ..There will be Drawers ,doors, shelves,and some other Nifty things to functionally personalize, my Lathes Work Station..Oh, and No that is not the Bench Top that I will be useing ..I`ll Show ,as I Go...I better get moving on this, or it will be winter again before I know it..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23166.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	651734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54734.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	651735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68977.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	651736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56658.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	651737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50706.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	651738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23744.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	651739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xz54423.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	651740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay85366.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	651741  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Us24032.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	651742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io64739.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	651743  
Old 03-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Yuu

HEY--BRONK!!! GLAD TO SEE YOU BACK !!!