Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Postal Plane Project

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Postal Plane Project

Old 11-11-2006, 10:27 AM
dieFluggeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Postal Plane Project

I was thinking the same thing Hog. I had thought about stickers but should the plane have to be re-covered then they would all be gone. I also thought a paper "pilots log book" would be included with the plane and fun to record who, what, where, when, etc. Then I thought an online 'log book' would give a chance for everyone to check in and read. I guess I'm open.

As for donating engines, servos etc, I would love for you all to take part but that's really up to you. I cant say if the thing will even ever come back, so dont commit anything that you wouldn't want to lose.

I'm working to get a design sketch up today. Will need your critical eye on that before it can be outfitted with equipment.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:15 PM
jerusha

thats a great idea. i would definitely fly it for the midwest region. (Iowa) however i think that it would be a good idea to keep the plane easy to fly. a shrike sounds kind of hot. otherwise theirs a good chance this plane wont make it very far.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:47 PM
dieFluggeister

Ok guys, here's my first thought. Since I want a plane flyable by the masses let's go for simple, rugged, easy to fly. Just a sketch so I still have to add detail.

High wing, Rudder / Elevator only, simple box fuse. It uses a Jedelsky type airfoil for easy construction of the wing and is resistant to damage. Rubber band wing hold down, and a basic Cox 049 engine.

Span 28" Area 165 squares, Aspect 4.8, MAC 6", Dihedral 5 degrees
Length 26" Total Estimated AUW 11.5 oz.
Wing Loading 9.6 oz

Alright all you aerodynamicists, critiques?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52299.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	558296  
Old 11-11-2006, 05:48 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks really nice! But, I'm betting it will come out less than 11oz.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:46 PM
eroc144

God no, don't put a Cox on it. We want everyone to be able to fly it!

Old 11-11-2006, 07:05 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

dF, did you use a bolt-on or rubberbanded tail group for the suitcase racer?

Looks nice, like a sportster. Could be a bit quick with a Norvel/AP .061. Isn't that pretty much the same basic description as a "Honker"?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:23 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it hits me first I will get a foam box made up that should make it around the world. Also I want it before Rog! No curses on this end[sm=bananahead.gif]. Also I can transport it along the CC I-40 corridor[8D]. Deadsitck included.
Sicks and pics are all great ideas.
Make Raymond build it so he quits whinning about not working in his shop that he won't ever finish.[X(]

I personally request F brand radio gear.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:10 PM
hogflyer

ORIGINAL: dieFluggeister

Ok guys, here's my first thought. Since I want a plane flyable by the masses let's go for simple, rugged, easy to fly. Just a sketch so I still have to add detail.

High wing, Rudder / Elevator only, simple box fuse. It uses a Jedelsky type airfoil for easy construction of the wing and is resistant to damage. Rubber band wing hold down, and a basic Cox 049 engine.

Span 28" Area 165 squares, Aspect 4.8, MAC 6", Dihedral 5 degrees
Length 26" Total Estimated AUW 11.5 oz.
Wing Loading 9.6 oz

Alright all you aerodynamicists, critiques?

Only problem I see with using a Jedelsky type airfoil is crash repair. You have to consider it will be repaired and need to be sure everybody will be able to construct a new wing similar to the old one. A built-up wing may be better, and a set of plans kept with the plane to facilitate crash repair. I think a flat bottom airfoil like the Bipe's trainer may be better - easier to fly and repair.

Hogflyer
Old 11-11-2006, 11:44 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How about having a mass exchange of planes, drawn from a hat?. Everybody submits a trimmed out plane that some lucky guy at the receiving end has to deal with until it has been flown? Within reason, I mean the plane has to be at least worth the cost of the postage. If you throw your hat in the ring, you are fair game. Then at some predetermined date, the game of musical chairs goes into round 2? just a slight twist on the original idea.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Isn't that pretty much the same basic description as a "Honker"?
The Honker is bigger: 36" span, 7" chord, 252 sq. in.

Mine is 22 oz. RTF -- monokote covered, one repair, NORVEL .061 with tank mount, Futaba s133's, Standard RX, 400 mAH NiCAD
Old 11-12-2006, 10:31 AM
dieFluggeister

PT, my suitcase racer used a friction fit tube assy. with a shear pin to align it. I like the idea of the tail group be removed here too, thanks for pointing that out. Honestly, this one was inspired by my Honker simply because it has always been a tough little flyer. This one is somewhat smaller, with different moments and incidences. I worked to make it an original.

Hogflyer, I picked the Jedelsky because it was so easy to replace. And super tough too. You could whip one out in about 30 min with no jigs or templates, and no fussy rib cutting and alignment.

Well, I'm not hearing things like "too hot", or "too mild" so unless I hear some big objections to the design I'll go ahead and build a prototype for a flight test. Still appreciate any input though.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It might be worthwhile to try and make it fit in a box that is under the maximum size for a small packet. Shipping a large box to Australia or Japan could be fairly expensive.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:11 PM
jerusha

sounds great but i dont think you should put a cox on the plane. i have only had bad experiences with them. also i think you should add strip ailerons. if the people dont want to use them than thats fine
Old 11-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Andrew

Another possibility might be the 1/2A SST. Uses the ACE foam wing, 33" span, 252" area, can be flown as A/E or A/E/T. The stab could be mounted with nylon screws for ease of shipping. I'm sure this group could design a simple, effective means of splitting the wing in half.

The gray SST belonged to Lynn Sipe; the yellow plane was posted here or on RCG some time ago -- it is a SST lookalike.

DF's Jedelsky wing is pretty tough, takes two sheets of wood and can be built flat with a simple spacer. It does require some planeing and shaping to reach the final airfoil.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92007.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	559064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29997.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	559065  
Old 11-12-2006, 07:59 PM
flyinrog

maybe a simple series Cub? with no landing gear for postal reasons, the box would end up being about the size of the kit box anyway....Rog
Old 11-13-2006, 05:39 AM
Boomerang1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just stumbled upon this post, cool idea, count me in! Just one thing, will it fly upside down? [sm=lol.gif] I'm sure if the servos are brand H they will work fine with brand F & J, probably the most poular world wide. Don't bother with the reciever as frequencies vary around the world, where will the pics be posted, on the thread? - John.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:52 AM
KidEpoxy

take down Wing?
2 wing halves with a pin/screw at the root & a mid-half rigid strut ala Cub/cesna152 to the fuse bottom
Old 11-13-2006, 05:50 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: dieFluggeister

PT, my suitcase racer used a friction fit tube assy. with a shear pin to align it. I like the idea of the tail group be removed here too, thanks for pointing that out. Honestly, this one was inspired by my Honker simply because it has always been a tough little flyer. This one is somewhat smaller, with different moments and incidences. I worked to make it an original.
I was mis-remembering, anyway. (thanks for the reminder Andrew) Heck, no matter what the inspiration, starting with a blank sheet of paper makes it an original. I was thinking that with a "good" engine this might be kinda hot. You know what you're up to, though. Can't wait to see the end result!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

When this plane comes through the heartland I want to be on the list of pilots[8D]
This is a great idea. Most likely will get stuck overseas somewhere, and no one will ever see the plane more than once, but I like the idea.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:37 PM
MajorTomski

Have a look around here for the Tiger Moth World Tour.

We've already sent the same tiger moth to all 50 states and now it's starting its trip around Canada.

Have a look at the box and the packing, save you some time in reinventing the wheel

Tom
Old 11-13-2006, 07:53 PM
skaliwag

There are postal sizes in Europe that determine the price and how quick it gets there . I think a major factor is that the total of the 3 sides must be less than 150cm and the long side be less than 90cm. Could be their sorting (Krunching) machings.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

maybe a simple series Cub? with no landing gear for postal reasons, the box would end up being about the size of the kit box anyway....Rog
Rog, everyone here knows that you have an extream predjudice against landing gear. You don't have to make excuses about it.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:07 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[sm=bananahead.gif] LOL, he hates planes that fly too.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:38 AM
flyinrog

Great, I didnt realize that the annual Jump in Rogers &^%$ day had gone statewide, thought it was still a local thing...Fine, go ahead and add landing gear and make sure its a wood wing, I wanna send plenty 'o' splinters on to Vicmanmefirstmefirstbratboy since he has so much time on his hands he can rebuild it for Mr. car guy....who should then pay to ship it to Japanman....Rog[&:]
Old 11-14-2006, 11:18 AM
dieFluggeister

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

I was thinking that with a "good" engine this might be kinda hot.
ORIGINAL: jerusha
sounds great but i dont think you should put a cox on the plane.
Suggestions? Remember availability of replacement plugs, tools, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.