Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Postal Plane Project

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Postal Plane Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:42 AM
dieFluggeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Postal Plane Project

I've been sitting on an idea this last week but I finally decided to throw it out to you guys to get some feedback.

One of the great anchors on the 1/2A forum [who shall remain anonymous, but who's name rhymes with "Raymond" ] and I were talking about swapping some planes for fun and it evolved into this...

I would like to do a 'postal plane' project. That is, build a plane and send it off to one of you guys to fly it, enjoy it, and then pass it on. I think it would be fun to know that it has flown all over the country and maybe even the world and perhaps a few people got some enjoyment out of it. I am just getting a website online and hopefully it can help track it's progress on its trek across the globe. The goal would be to see if we could get it to 'Fly around the world'.

My only concern is that it would cost the participants a little bit of $$ in postage to pass it on to the next guy. I would hate for that to be a barrier. As far as crashing it, I'm not too worried about that. It would be fun to see repairs and mods along the way, but it also might cost someone an odd prop and a patch of covering.

The part I would really want your input on is the design. I want it easy to fly and repair, but sporty enough that it would be enjoyable enough for you hot shots. I'd appreciate your thoughts there. I have two designs on CAD that might work, one is a 2 channel R/E Cox powered job thats tough and simple but a beginner's plane, and the other is a 061 'full house' that's sporty but with obvious disadvantages for a novice.

Well, whadaya think? Is anyone even interested?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:53 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Postal Plane Project

DF,

Great idea! I would be a feat to just get it around the country, let along the world. But hey, if enough documentation can be had by flying it as many states, or possible countries as possible, maybe it could be a Guinness record plane - RC sport plane flown in the most countries around the world (with all the pilots names listed, of course).

I’m game; let’s see what you have for designs.

Hogflyer
Old 11-10-2006, 12:59 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A DNU comes to my mind.. Light & Compact, (For Internation postage) uses a cheap engine (Sure Start).
Old 11-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Sneasle

Sounds kinda cool actually.

I wouldn't fly it unless it took it about 6 months to get here, but I have a friend that would love to fly it. Not sure how far around the world we could get it, us 1/2a peeople seem to be reasonably concentrated to a small area.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:22 PM
skaliwag

I Know of members in UK. Sweeden, Nederlands, Spain, Italia, S. Africa, India, Japan, Australia, Chile, Mexico, West coast and all across America. It's not so much how far but How long!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:08 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in
Pick an airframe, I don't care.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:47 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

I Know of members in UK. Sweeden, Nederlands, Spain, Italia, S. Africa, India, Japan, Australia, Chile, Mexico, West coast and all across America. It's not so much how far but How long!
Hey what about us guys in the Great White North??????

MJD
Old 11-10-2006, 03:58 PM
skaliwag

No problemo.... we would have to time you for the spring / summer!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:58 PM
hogflyer

Modified just for MJD :

...........members in UK. Sweeden, Nederlands, Spain, Italia, S. Africa, India, Japan, Australia, Chile, Mexico, West coast and all across America and Canada too .

Hogflyer
Old 11-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Japanman

Count me in! this sounds all good to me!

Stefan
Old 11-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They did this with a FF model on the Small Flying Arts forum. It's are really cool idea.

I vote for something that anyone can fly. It's more about the novelty of being part of something like this than the actual aerobatics that the plane is capable of. Best to include as many people as possible.

Would you include the servos and have the flyer supply his own receiver? What issues are there with shipping a fuel soaked plane?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:30 PM
dieFluggeister

Thanks guys for the input.

Bipe, I would outfit the plane other than the Rx. That was the only thing I could just not figure a work-around to accomodate everyones' frequencies. I also figure if all the equip is already installed it would be much easier for everyone to trim for initial flight. However I cant continually supply parts so I might have to ask that if any equipment breaks that it be replaced. Is that too harsh do you think? I dont care if I ever get the plane back but I would like for it to be in good shape for the next guy. I'll be using HS-55s to try and keep cost low.

As far as shipping, it's my understanding that if the tank is drained its ok. Most of the residue would be castor. I've toted planes through airports before so I dont think postal would be a problem.

Oh---- forgot to ask.. how well did the FF project go Bipe?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That seems like the best way to handle it. People replace what they break. Who knows, maybe you'll get it back with sub-micro digital servos and a Fora.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Sneasle

DNU actually sounds like a good idea. Or perhaps somethign similar with a high wing.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Boy, I am SO glad this idea is getting all this positive feedback. One of the things that I think would add to the fun would be to ask for photos of each pilot holding the model. That way we'd finally get to match faces with the RCU "handles" of all youse guys. Come to think of it, maybe we ought to specify that the photo be taken before the flight.

Also, maybe one of the guidelines could be a request for a short turn-around time - maybe within two weeks of receipt? I'll bet some of you have dealt with "Flat Stanley". My wife's nephew included us in his travels and it was amazing how many obscure (like Canada ) places he came home from. But that Stanley got lost for months somewhere and the kid missed his classes deadline. Anyway, the point is just to keep it moving as fast as practical.

How about three cheers for Df; hip hip . . .
Old 11-10-2006, 08:50 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Some extra mods to make it more compact and so that it would all fit into a nice sturdy shiping case would help a lot. Wings that join in the center to reduce the size of box needed is one must do idea for expample.

A special low aspect ratio flying wing with a very short fuselage and slip apart wings at the center line could be a VERY compact design and lend itself to a smaller shipping box. If high wing it could be sort of a Clancy Lazy Bee style but with no stabilizer. Just a proper stable shape flying wing airfoil. The wings slip apart like a glider and the rudder slips off by removing a long wire hinge pin, the bits slip into the sized cutouts in the foam rubber liner of the box and the lid gets snapped back on with some straps for security and it's off to the next eager flyer.

... CAD doodle to follow....
Old 11-10-2006, 09:56 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

dF, you've already got a great design for this. You suitcase flier was a great idea! If you're worried about easy flying, go with a smaller engine or just scale it up a little. I can't think of a better ship for mailing.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:26 PM
mylamo

How about a Ken Willard " Traveller " Originally
single channel compound escapement , sheet
wing is hinged in the center. 1958 I think.
Ralph
Old 11-10-2006, 10:46 PM
treedog

How about this a wasp AP or the hornet, the engine needs to last and be replaced AP makes a very well known engine. See them all the time in uk and africa. Just a thought.
Td Very good idea lets not tell any 1 though. every 1 will want camera time.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:05 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I wouldn't mind trying this, so count me in if it's possible.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-11-2006, 02:53 AM
Sneasle

a wasp might not be a good idea.

Whatever gets picked, keep in mind that it needs to be as dumb thumb proff as possible. Whatever engine should hopefully be one that is fairly easy to tune.

The only issue I see here is with possible broken props. I know my LHS doesnt stock smaller then 6" diameters.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:40 AM
flyinrog

The simplest engine would be a tanked reedie,if simplest is what we're going for...just dont send it to propbuster!...I have a box of engines, I could probably donate to the cause if you'd like Mike, I guess we're talking .049-.061...I can always take a pic with the plane and lie and said I flew it[X(],that way it would be safe for the next victim/vicman...between me and BSarge and Banjo we could probably get it off the ground.....Rog..come to think of it the Shrike would be a good "mailable" plane.....
Old 11-11-2006, 09:20 AM
eroc144

This is a GREAT idea - Count me in!

Aside from taking a photo at every stop, what if everyone got to put a logo or decal or something else on it so that the plane itself reflected the trips and a bit of the local flavor? Maybe eveyone gets a 3"x3" section of the plane to do with as they please? Of course that brings up the ole weight and finishing issue, but we'd end up with something pretty cool at the end.

EG
Old 11-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

DF,
Count me in as well from the east coast ( VA ), but let's use a engine well broken in and easy to start and run- I will donate a Norvel Big Mig .061 either RC or without Rc = your choice. I can also throw in some props. Anyone else want to donate some micro servo's?
Dale
Old 11-11-2006, 10:04 AM
hogflyer

ORIGINAL: eroc144

This is a GREAT idea - Count me in!

Aside from taking a photo at every stop, what if everyone got to put a logo or decal or something else on it so that the plane itself reflected the trips and a bit of the local flavor? Maybe eveyone gets a 3"x3" section of the plane to do with as they please? Of course that brings up the ole weight and finishing issue, but we'd end up with something pretty cool at the end.

EG
eroc,

The problem there would be weight - a sticker here and a sticker there will add up quickly. But a sticker on the box could be something to think about. Maybe just a piece of paper that goes around with it that every who flies it signs as proof they did fly it - this would stay with the plane. Then we could also have a certificate we could print out for it, and maybe some sort of on-line long where we can mark the day(s) flown, the number of flights, who few them, etc. Oh well, just some ramblings here since my two brain cells decided to have a rare venture in the same general region this morning.

Hogflyer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.