Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

My new shop..at last!!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

My new shop..at last!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My new shop..at last!!!

I'll guess 85. I expanded it on my enormous screen and tried to count, but there are still several o top of each other. Just have to guess at it, so 85.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:39 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK it's 81 and a cute kid!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Tim! Congratulations on your shop setup! I'm happy and proud of you at the same time.

82?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:49 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I'll try for 97.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 12-05-2006, 05:55 PM
SGC

100 even , n looking forwards to seeing what you push out of your shop.
Stewart
Old 12-05-2006, 07:01 PM
digital_trucker

...or maybe 86?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:14 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

One dollar, Bob! I mean, 49.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:34 PM
propbuster

Okay, my last guesstimation,,,,,,,79! [&:]
Old 12-05-2006, 07:34 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats on the nice looking shop, Tim. That first pic of the COX engines looks like a pile of fake vomit on my cheap monitor, so all I can do is guess that you have 100 engines there.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Oh snap!!!! PropBuster your the man....yup there is 79 of those little suckers in the pile I ordered 80 and one was sitting on my bench when I took the pictures!

That was fun!

LAter,
Tim
Old 12-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Any of you Caroline Crew members know anything about wiring? I need to wire the building up and don't have a clue? Well I sort of have a clue I just want to do it safe that's all.

LAter,
Tim
Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 PM
digital_trucker

black to black, white to white, green to green (or bare to bare)
Old 12-05-2006, 08:03 PM
combatpigg

Tim, if any of your heavy duty tools have a 230 volt option, that s the way to go. Your 115V general purpose outlets should be fed from a 20 amp breaker with 12 gauge NM [Romex] cable. No single appliance on a 20 amp circuit is allowed to draw more than 16 amps, if so you have to move up to a bigger circuit breaker and heavier wire. If you can, seperate the lighting circuit from everything else and don't exceed 2000 watts on a 20 amp lighting or outlet circuit.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:45 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Tim, the hookup from your house is pretty important. Like CP says, 230 to a box in the shop. Just plan ahead and you'll be ok. Don't start pulling wire without a plan!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:22 PM
combatpigg

Yea, you could put a 2 pole, 50 amp breaker in your house panel and feed a sub panel in your work shop. That is all the juice I need in my barn. Your local electrical supplier should be able to sell you a kit type package deal, just let them know what the distance is from the main panel to the sub panel and the way you plan to route the cable. Like PT said, plan out all your present and future needs. Pay a nickle now and save a dollar later.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:40 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: Tim Wiltse-RCU

Any of you Caroline Crew members know anything about wiring? I need to wire the building up and don't have a clue? Well I sort of have a clue I just want to do it safe that's all.

LAter,
Tim
Don't let the smoke out of the wires or boxes, it won't work anymore if the smoke gets out!
Old 12-05-2006, 11:20 PM
KidEpoxy

edit: oops, missed the deadline too enter a guess, rats, was thinking even 80 though, and would have been over
Old 12-06-2006, 12:35 AM
rrragmanliam

Nice shop Tim, looking forward to what you do with it.

Rrragman
Old 12-06-2006, 03:49 AM
flyinrog

No fair I want a recount, I said 80 cause I remember when you ordered 50! and then came on here and said you were gonna get 30 more...I thought what the heck is he gonna do with all of them...anyway I like the shop, get an electrician man,,do some research and find out what boxes and breakers you need ...I promise you can get them cheaper at Lowes than an electrician can get them anywhere else....I just had my old fuse box switched to an outside panel breaker box...and it was $512 in parts, but I got a big break from , well a good friend in the biz...the $1/foot #4 ground that most people need 8 feet of I needed 70 feet..10 or so breakers...and the box was $170 and wire is pretty high too...Rog

criminey enough engines to bury a kid in and I thought I had a pretty good selection myself , I'll show him grumble grumble grumble...
Old 12-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Japanman

Awsome setup Tim!
thats the exact thing I plan to do!- Did you buy it as parts or a kit to adapt the mill? I read this time last year of someone doing the adaption to a tiny toy mill and getting really good accuracy (relativly of course)
I`d be keen on anything you are willing to tell me about your setup- what did you do for software?

Look forward to seeing cool stuff churning out!

Stefan

Its after 10pm here in Japan. but I am tempted to say 82...am I outside the timelimit??
Old 12-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

JM,

Glad everyone likes the new shop. I have a couple things to hang still to make it look good like a set of 1/2a Shrike plans Raymond sent me a while ago. My mill is a Harbor Freight Seig X2 mill. I figured when I bought it a couple 3 years ago it would be the best fit for the small 1/2a sized stuff I deal with or rather was hoping to at some point. I bought a CNC Fusion package and mounted onto it. It has the ballscrew/nuts and motor mounts. I am using a Xylotex 3axis drive board and Nema 23 steppers. I was thinking hard about a 4 axis setup but it was a little out of my price range at the time. It has since gone on sale for $100 less[:@]. The total cost for the mill, conversion kit, drive board and steppers was about $1600US if I added right not including other CAD and controller software. For software I have TurboCAD v12 and am using Mach3 as my controller. There is a picture of one of it's screens in my first post of this thread. I bought a new 3.2Ghz computer to run it all.
I think all and all it will be a great fit to my 1/2a state of mind.

LAter,
Tim
Old 12-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Japanman

Glad everyone likes the new shop. I have a couple things to hang still to make it look good like a set of 1/2a Shrike plans Raymond sent me a while ago. My mill is a Harbor Freight Seig X2 mill. I figured when I bought it a couple 3 years ago it would be the best fit for the small 1/2a sized stuff I deal with or rather was hoping to at some point. I bought a CNC Fusion package and mounted onto it. It has the ballscrew/nuts and motor mounts. I am using a Xylotex 3axis drive board and Nema 23 steppers. I was thinking hard about a 4 axis setup but it was a little out of my price range at the time. It has since gone on sale for $100 less . The total cost for the mill, conversion kit, drive board and steppers was about $1600US if I added right not including other CAD and controller software. For software I have TurboCAD v12 and am using Mach3 as my controller. There is a picture of one of it's screens in my first post of this thread. I bought a new 3.2Ghz computer to run it all.
Thanks for the information. I am still wondering about wether to get a cheap, secondhand mill here in Japan which I can`t take home, or the smaller mill I can. I think I`ll go for the bigger mill seeing at it offers a little more flexibility in what I can use it for.

I can well relate to that! I am looking forward to machining some prop and ducted fan moulds. That will make them some of the most expensive r/c components I own!

S
Old 12-06-2006, 09:45 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim,
I will come down and help you wire the shop if you like. We can make a Saturday of it.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:06 PM
AG Bill

It sounds like the 64 dollar question and I'll be 64 next b'day, so 64 is my guess. Nifty equipment. I expect 1/2 A gizmos and gagetry will soon to be issued. I'm green with envy.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:52 AM
small_rcer

Lovely shop!!!

And all you are worrying about is a little wiring!!

Imagine if it was 2x6 studs, 6 inch insulation, vapour barrier, 1.5" foam insulation, 1/2" ply covered by 1/2" gyprock, and now it might stay warm with a 2500 watt electric heater. Yeah it has been cold and snowy even in the coastal province of Nova Scotia. Moving to a warmer clime gets more attractive each year.

The software company that makes Mach 3 is right around the corner from my street, well 2-3 blocks or a 6-7 minute walk. Art's software is the class of the field! I hope you get good use of it.

And my guess is 105 Sure Starts even if the contest has closed. Cox site 2 days ago listed them as out of stock, and today it implies they are back in stock.

Edit:: Well i tried to order some and each time it said my cart was empty when I went to checkout. Either the system has not flagged them as out of stock correctly or their site is having "difficulties".

You may have the largest inventory around!

Jim H

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.