Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

5 new plans...

Old 01-14-2007, 01:56 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 new plans...

Ok, it's more like a mental "upchuck" onto your screen, but I have placed five untested plans on my site. Sure, there's more to come. Like getting the Blink to un-disappear.[X(] Oh well, that will give me something to do tomorrow. BTW, there are a few more test flown plans that will make it up soon.

www.ulmer-rc.com
Old 01-14-2007, 12:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 5 new plans...

You're making progress, your site looks very slick! I had no idea that they even charge for background pattern, that seems like charging for water at a restaurant. If AP Engines folds, there should be lots of takers then for your rocket plane.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:36 PM
scudrunner77

Nice site PT! Thanks for posting the planes. Are you going to sell any of your kits there?

I downloaded and printed out the ME2 plans... at 100% scale it fit's on one sheet of paper. Now I'm either doing something wrong or that's one small plane[:-]... I think I'm doing something wrong.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:59 PM
ptulmer

CP, the only thing that has cost me so far (besides the web service) is the skin. It's more than a background. Much more! I can completely change the look of my website simply by changing the skin. It's pretty neat and gets you a professional interface in no time flat.

Scud, are you downloading the PDF? The link is next to the picture. Unless you are trying to print the .jpg in the zip file? That's just a preview picture. I didn't intend on putting it in there, but it didn't seem worth it to remove it after the fact. Maybe I should to avoid confusion?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:01 PM
ptulmer

btw, CP, you better look closer at the BOB. You still need that AP. That's partly why I'm tossing this stuff out there. Hope somebody has fun with it before all the good engines are gone.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:31 PM
digital_trucker

pt - if I upload the 3D drawings of the AP, will they stay in the repository like my pdf or will they go over to the downloads/CAD section? I was sorta under the impression that's where the pdf would end up after moderation...or am I missing something in how the site operates?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:38 PM
ptulmer

DT, with permission I will move it to the download section. The repository is for easy mass sharing without my intervention. I intend to move some stuff to a permanent location if or when the author approves. No, you didn't miss a thing. There's still a lot of writing I need to do to make things more clear.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:51 PM
ptulmer

I'm thinking about getting some logo hats made to encourage folks. Maybe a points system based on ratings or amount of material. (gotta fix the invisible ratings buttons first) What do you guys think?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:00 PM
digital_trucker

Gotcha....lotsa work you're putting into this! I'm sure the efforts will be greatly appreciated by all! AP 061 3D drawings (DXF format) being uploaded as I write this. ZIP file is 11.8 MB. Logo hats sound like an interesting idea...hope you're making good $$$ of the advertising!

Hmm - got a timeout uploading that file..not sure if you got it or not.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:12 AM
scudrunner77

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Scud, are you downloading the PDF? The link is next to the picture. Unless you are trying to print the .jpg in the zip file? That's just a preview picture. I didn't intend on putting it in there, but it didn't seem worth it to remove it after the fact. Maybe I should to avoid confusion?
Ok, I downloaded the .jpg the first time...

Got her figured out now.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:11 PM
digital_trucker

Well dernit, I got a timeout again trying to upload the 3D drawings....[&o]
Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 PM
ptulmer

Strangely enough, if you use Firefox, it does that more often. I can't figure that one out. How long is it taking before timing out?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:13 PM
ptulmer

Nevermind, it must be the service. I can't even work on it right now without timing out.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:18 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

FWIW the Blink is under construction. Details to follow.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:58 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vic, as a member in good standing with the R-BROTHERHOOD, you're not gonna use anything less than a KillerBee and 50% are you?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:28 PM
chevy43

What is the wing span on the ME2?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:48 AM
ptulmer

ME2 span is 24". Remember, the nose moment isn't confirmed, so if you build it as-is, you might end up needing some weight.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:09 PM
richtodt

Hi,

Just want to say I've taken a look at the ME2, and was wanting to build it.

They still have the 'ducted fan' version of the Free Flight conversion kits available at a large on-line hobby store. As this is my first post, I am not sure if the rules would let me post the link to it or mention the name.

The cost is like $17.50, and the only difference between the ducted fan and the propeller versions is that the ducted fan doesn't come with the two push-on prop's. It appears that they upgraded the speed controller in them too.

I have three kits purchased with the older speed controller, and have ordered two more kits with the upgraded speed controller (should arrive either this week or next).

Also, for Mr. Ulmer, I do have access to a plotter/printer, and if possible, if he could post maybe on his website a version of the plans that aren't 'split up'. Also, it is my impression that is is a 'compromise' design, meaning it was created either for electric or gas. As I am interested in building it for electric using the FF conversion kits, what would be the difference in making it true electric? My experience says to extend the nose. Would that be correct?

Thanks.

Richard
Old 02-21-2007, 04:16 PM
ptulmer

Rich, I can add a full size .pdf to the file at home tonight. The nose was originally longer, but it wouldn't balance easily. As it's shown now in the plans, it still may be a little long in the nose moment. It was a "compromise" design, but electric was first in the layout. Glow was sort of an afterthought. The 300mah batteries that I got in those packs were all bad.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:28 PM
richtodt

Mr. Ulmer,

Thanks for responding, and thanks in advance for posting the full-sized pdf.

To be honest, I've only 'worked' with one of the three kits that I have. The battery pack in there seemed ok, but I haven't really used them too much. I actually attempted to convert one of the FF models to RC using the one kit, and didn't have much luck in flying it. I do remember it not really wanting to charge at first, but I put it on the lowest setting my charger would do and then let it slow charge. It seemed to work a lot better after that.

Apparantly the C-5 Speed controller that was packaged with it has been replaced by a C-7, with Li-Po functions, etc. At $17.50, it's not bad even for just the speed controller.

Has anyone else started building the ME2? I will probably open a build thread when I start it.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:24 PM
ptulmer

So far it's just me, you and Scudrunner. I'm looking forward to moving this to the test flown page! The large format .pdf is in there now. It's 22"x36".
Old 02-21-2007, 11:23 PM
richtodt

PT,

Thanks for posting the whole plan, and modifying it with the fuse measurements.

I've been busy setting up cut sheets for the wood.

The fuse bulkheads, are they made out of light-ply, or balsa?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:41 PM
ptulmer

The formers are 1/16 ply, the firewall is 1/8. Geez, I didn't realize the dimensions were on there...[sm=lol.gif]

The ribs and fuselage are 1/16 and the tail/control surfaces are 3/32.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:24 AM
richtodt

PT,

Well, in the large format .pdf, you had two fuselage measurements listed, one that says 6 1/4 (I believe that is inches) and one that says 12 5/8. I believe the 6 1/4 is the distance from the proposed prop line to the COG, and the 12 5/8 is from the COG to the rear of the fuselage.

Initially I did have some issues copying some of the drawing into a photoshop document in order to create the cut sheets. The 'copy to clipboard' function of Adobe Acrobat Reader wasn't a one-to-one size ratio in pasting it into a photoshop document. The measurements listed did help me in verifying it was the correct ratio (if you want a cut sheet for one that's about 1/4 the size of this one, let me know!--:-D). When using this procedure, I found by setting the 'View' to 250% in Acrobat and using the copy to clipboard function resulted in the correct sizes.

I have been looking at the original DNU and this one in order to try and answer some of my questions, i.e. some of the material used, etc. Just for the record, this is my first 'scratch build', and I'm sure I will have some more questions!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:36 AM
ptulmer

Those dimensions show where the firewall originally was. It was nose-heavy as heck with the 180 electric setup. I stretched it back an inch and am moving over to glow. I've got an engine I want to play with. After my disappointment with the batteries, if I ever go electric again it will be with lipos.

Shoot away with the questions. If there was ever a case where there aren't any dumb questions, this is it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.