Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Register here for a Rudder Only model cookup

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Register here for a Rudder Only model cookup

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:39 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Register here for a Rudder Only model cookup

While digging through a box looking for some sheeting, I came across my Ace Guppy - well, OK, the remains of it []. Found the plans there with it. The wings, while foam, seem to weigh a ton and will need some serious structural work where the power pod attaches. How good would this plane be for a first RO plane? Would there be enough weight savings to build the wings up new in wood (don't have a foam cutter to cut new ones) to justify the effort?

Hogflyer
Old 01-31-2007, 03:17 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hog, the Guppy is a very good choice for a first RO plane. It's got as high a chance of success as you will find.
If the fuse and tail are intact, I say give it a shot with a PeeWee .020 or an anemic .049. (Like a WenMac or a Cub)
You could use the outer panels of these Pacer plans as a reference to build the Guppys.
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/pacer_cadplans.pdf
Or just try some Jedelsky type wings.
LeGuppy:
http://my.pclink.com/52/87/dfritzke/rudder/guppy1.tif
Dave
Old 02-01-2007, 09:14 PM
uliner
My Feedback: (2)

There was a biplane from RCM, it used ACE wings cut in half, it worked well on a Golden bee. It had a lot of downthrust and did not glide well. It would do a roll on top of a loop....

I had a lot of fun with it.

I have an old Mattel pulse radio fior sale right now see item 290078796046
I will also be selling my old ACE pulse stuff next week.

Dave
Old 02-02-2007, 07:53 AM
groundsman

ORIGINAL: uliner

(There was a biplane from RCM, it used ACE wings cut in half, it worked well on a Golden bee. It had a lot of downthrust and did not glide well. It would do a roll on top of a loop....

I had a lot of fun with it.)
This sounds like Dick Erickson's Rollin Foam. RCM March 1976. RCM has the plans for it.

Steve

Old 02-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

You guys can count me in. Always liked Ace rudder only systems since my first in 1969. Took about an inch of dust off my Littlest Stick hanging from the cellar rafters also have a Minnie Mambo and an Ace Whizard all with Ace pulsers on 27.045 and 26.995. That stik was a hot rod with a Tee Dee .010 loops and rolls. Ive been flying a R&M Little Esquire with a small Himax outrunner and also a Consolidated Li'l Spirit with an E-Flite park 370 so I'm half way there. As soon as the weather breaks I guess I'll have to remember how to run a Cox engine. Got to find some little nicads and does anyone have a good fuel source for 1/2A and smaller engines? I would be grateful. Been away from half A for some time now.

Peace

Mad Man Mark O
Old 02-04-2007, 10:36 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome back to the good life Mark! You will be glad you did!

Those are some nice planes you have and the Stik is quite a performer! Dust them all off and jump right in!

Robert
Old 02-05-2007, 10:06 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

OK guys I put this little gem together this weekend while trying to stay warm in the shop. It is a D.Q.A. 704 (Darn Quick Airplane) designed by Mr. Single channel himself Stu Babcock. 32 inch wingspan all balsa and ply construction. It was originally design to test the new Babcock BC21 and BC22 radios in 1964. A kind gentleman gave me a like new BC22 system less transmitter antenna at the BARKS swap meet so I needed a plan to test it out in! Ah the soothing sound of a rubber powered escapement!! Anyone got an antenna I can borrow to copy?

I don't remember where I got the plans and article from but I suspect from Dad. If my memory serves me well Dad built one to see if an old Controlaire Mule single channel escapement system would still be reliable enough to fly. I think after about 2 years of and a gazillion flights the firewall fell off from being fuel soaked!! I also seem to remember Dave Frizte having the plans on his website but I can't find them now. DAVE?

Anyway, it took about 4 to 5 hours to build this far and if the weather would warm up I would finish her out in silk and dope!! Just need to add the dowels and bend up the tricycle landing gear. Supposed to ROG with a Pee Wee .020 with an all up weight of 11 oz. We will see!!!

What do ya think??

Bob Harris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52733.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	614798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75906.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	614799  
Old 02-05-2007, 11:30 PM
groundsman

Great looking airplane Bob.

I'm hopeing to get to my RO real soon. Not sure what I'm going to build yet.

Steve
Old 02-06-2007, 12:21 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote by Dave Fritzke:
"Dave
NB- The Virus is particularly homely..."

I was doing some reading last night and ran across a float plane Ken Willard designed (BTW he also designed the Virus) and he happened to mention the Virus in the article and claimed that it was really easy to fly and really simple to build. Of course he would say this as he did design it but I do respect his abilities and value his opinions.
As a matter of fact the model he was presenting was very Virus like in appearance and had floats. Supposedly the Virus was such a great flyer that he fitted it with floats and it flew great with them but would not take off of the water even when he swapped out the Cox .020 and put a Cox .049 in its place.

Has anyone here actually built and flown the Virus? I agree with Dave it is not overly attractive by any means but I have looked at the plan more than a few times and found myself studying it intently more than once and finally moving on.

Not sure what my attraction is but I may have to give it a go.

Robert

Old 02-06-2007, 12:33 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Bob, that is not only a cute airplane but the Babcock connection makes it a bit of history. A tip of my bonnet to you for a great bit of RO nostalgia!

I guess I'd better get a hoppin' to figure out what I want to make. I need a new RO model since I'm keen on the idea of turning my Mini Reb into a rudder elevator model and possibly turning it into an electric. Or maybe I just need a new RO model to see if the Mini Reb was a fluke.

I've been lazy and haven't worked on the plans at all. Soon I hope, soon.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:56 AM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

Bob,
I have the entire article in PDA form, including plans for the DQA. Dave Fritzke did have it on his site, but I don't see it now. I can send the PDA to anyone that wants it. Just send me your email address in a PM.
Mike MacLean
Old 02-06-2007, 08:31 PM
cpc625

Gentlemen,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I would like to build a RO ship but, I have a question regarding the Cox .010.

As I understand, Cox is no longer manufacturing this engine. Are glow plugs and parts still available?

Thanks

Charlie
Old 02-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cpc625

....... I have a question regarding the Cox .010.

As I understand, Cox is no longer manufacturing this engine. Are glow plugs and parts still available?
Charlie --

Try [link=http://www.selecthobbies.com/]Select Hobbies[/link], Steve still has a few parts listed on his site -- he may have a few more tucked away. Email if you don't find what you need.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

The Ace Guppy was a good one to start on. I have a brand new kit and some of my old one downstairs. I covered the wing with Metalic Green Solarfilm, the fuse and power pod were Orange Aero Gloss (I think it was a seventies thing). Another good plane of the same type was the Gnome which was built up. I think it was a Ted Strader design if I remember right. Two of those hang in the cellar. It was the days when a 15 year old kid could buy the whole package with radio, plane and Pee Wee .020 for $75.00 of lawn mowing money and just stare in amazement at the ability of these little planes to fly with the rudder wagging back and forth.

New batteries are on the way. I Need those afternoons again. Will be the best blood pressure pills ever.

Peace

Mark O
Old 02-07-2007, 12:19 AM
fritzke

My RO entry so far. I have not added the dihedral to the bottom wing yet, and the bottom of the fuse is unsheeted
so I can install the fun bits. Anybody recognize it? Ten feet of Doculam to the first person to ID it!
Dave

Name:	Li21002.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	615580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80407.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	615581  
Old 02-07-2007, 01:30 AM
SGC

Got me , but it looks like the little brother of a "Chicken Hawk"
Stewart

Name:	Vt56247.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	615598  
Old 02-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Hueydriver

Dave, is that a Jedelsky wing? I'm looking for some hints etc for the R/O cook-up.....best place for the wing panel joint, undercamber etc. I intend on using it on a slightly enlarged Guided Mite (perhaps even a Nomad).

Kirk
Old 02-07-2007, 09:47 AM
fritzke

Stewart, you are SO close, same designer, same era!
Kirk, the wings are simple sheet balsa with ribs, but if I did it again, I'd make them
Jedelsky type for durability. I am a little concerned about how they
will hold up to the massive power of the surestart .049. I may sheet the
bottoms with some light 1/32 which would strengthen them considerably.
The tail is a 1/16" balsa "sandwich" with an 1/8" balsa stick core. I should have used 1/20"
sheet or even 1/32" as it seems a bit overbuilt. It would take all of 20 minutes to build
lighter ones.
Dave
Old 02-07-2007, 01:57 PM
BMatthews

It's a Ted Strader but the name escapes me for the moment. I've got the reduced plans for that in a book
Old 02-07-2007, 02:18 PM
SGC

Dave ,
Is it a Duet by Ted Strader ??????? I have the above mentioned Chicken Hawk plans and construction article, I beleive the duet preceded it. Dont worry about the doculam , I purchased 2 rolls/1,000ft last year so Im kinda ok for a short while
Stewart
Old 02-07-2007, 03:59 PM
fritzke

You are right, it is a Ted Strader, one of my favorite designers. It's called Snoopy, and was in published in MAN, December 1956.
Mine is built according to the plans so far. It is designed for freeflight, but I'm adding a rudder of course.
Ted published over 30 designs over the years, but not much since the 70's.
Dave
Old 02-07-2007, 05:07 PM
SGC

Dave, Well Ted must have 3 designs that are very similar at least as the Chicken Hawk and Duet are twins, the Snoopy uses the same construction in the fuselarge as the others just a different wing construction. All 3 are stylish designs that should fly well.
Am looking forwards to more construction pics and the flyte report.
Stewart
Old 02-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Hi Guys:
Here's an oldie a Consolidated Little Spirit with E-Flite park 370 motor on Rudder and Motor. Poly span with clear nitrate sig dope. Scaned the original decal and made new ones on my PC. Flies like a rocket ship. Next pics will be Little Esquire then Minnie Mambo.
Hope the pic comes out.
Peace

Mark O

Name:	Ki18788.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	616194  
Old 02-08-2007, 03:19 AM
BMatthews

That's a real cutie there Mad Man.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Thanks for the compliment and I think that every club should have a RO flier in it. Sure makes them new guys stare at you when you say it has no elevator.

Peace

Mark O

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.