Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Register here for a Rudder Only model cookup

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Register here for a Rudder Only model cookup

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 07:10 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Register here for a Rudder Only model cookup

Based on the enthusiam in the other rudder only thread I thought we'd have a go at running a rudder only model construction thread to cover off selecting, building and flying some rudder only models.

Don't worry if you have not ever flown rudder only. We've got enough folks to talk you through the trimming and first flights and pretty much assure you of success.

So ifyou want to join in then reply here. We'll likely start in a week or two and run through to the end of the summer. No awards or judging. Just sharing hints and help and joining in the fun of learning to fly in a minimalist manner. Oh, but there WILL be bonus bragging points where the peanut gallery finds them to be worthy....
Old 01-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Register here for a Rudder Only model cookup

I'm in! Woo hoo!
Old 01-21-2007, 07:46 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Would it count if you reuse an Air Hog setup? No elevator or ailerons, but no rudder, either. I've got a spare setup here and a plan in the works. I just wish I knew more on the subject!
Old 01-21-2007, 07:54 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure, I'm interested! Anyone have a source for plans? I've got a couple of surestarts laying around and an old Futaba two channel radio to use in one. [8D]
Old 01-21-2007, 08:54 PM
rainedave

Here's two to get the juices flowin':
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10523.gif
Views:	45
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	603671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10471.gif
Views:	38
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	603672  
Old 01-21-2007, 09:14 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

I'm in! What shall we build? Got a few extra systems needing aircraft!

Bob Harris
Old 01-21-2007, 09:33 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

I'm in too. I've got several single channel systems here gathering dust. I'm just finishing up a original Jr Falcon with an Ace system in it. Just have to cover it. Tim Wiltse is building a couple of Sure Starts with the larger tanks for this purpose for me. If anyone is looking for an Ace or a Mattel I could probably see my way clear to selling a system or two. They have been re-wired with new batteries and tuned by an ex-Ace tech. I'm not out to make money. I'd just like to see someone else have as much fun as I have making these things work. Otherwise I don't see anything wrong with "cheating" and using one of todays micro receivers with ONE micro servo. Not fair if you put a throttle on it.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:36 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

BTW_ Has anyone heard about the interference on 27 megs from Mexican CB. I was told by a local SAM member that over 200 feet in Southern California you get hit by powerful Mexican CB from Mexico! I hope this is not the case. He says you are probably safe in the Midwest, but anywhere in proximity to Mexico and you got problems with flying on 27.[]
Old 01-21-2007, 09:48 PM
groundsman

I want to play too. I always wanted to build another School Boy.

Steve
Old 01-21-2007, 10:03 PM
rainedave

Pricey for wheels, but then we'll be saving money on servos:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKE36&P=ML
Old 01-21-2007, 11:29 PM
WINANS

OK, exactly what is it that we are signing up for here. I am not one who jumps on the passing bandwagon for the most part, but this is one that I probably just can't pass up. As much of a wrestling match as it is to get anything built these days, this might as well be the project that I take on.

I have a number of pulse rudder ships in my past - Dicks Dream was the first, and a Goldberg Ranger 30 converted from FF and built too heavy to fly (should do one of those again), a Littlest Stick - again tough to fly with the heavy Mattell system, and an R&N Li'l Pup built with an ACE baby system and a TD 0.020 ( so many flights on that little guy). Time for another I guess.

Scott
Old 01-21-2007, 11:51 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Um, I wish I could say sign me up but I want throttle control also. I know, I know... this would not be Rudder only but I just feel I need that little "extra" bit of control. Call me chicken if ya want, I can take it. I still want to try...

I have been looking for designs I think would do well. I rteally like the Top Dawg and Roarin' 20 or the Miss World's Fair by Howard McEntee.

There is one more. It is an original design that was inspired by the Whiz Kid and Whizzard models. Instead of the sort of bulky fuses like so many R/O designs, these are sleek in comparison. That will be what sets this model apart from most, besides the inspirations for it. I have no name picked out but it is close to being ready for building. intended for 3 channels it could easily be for less. like R/T or R/E so there is no reason that it would not work well as R/O. It has just a little positive incedence for the wing, about 3 degrees. It sports a pretty cool cabin and has a fairly nose and tail moments...

Just a thought, actually a question, would anyone couple the elevator with the rudder? I am sure many of you know about this treatment although it was not really the "norm"
I always thought this was a great idea for lazy flying but it might actually hinder aerobatics. Am I right about this?

Robert
Old 01-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Hueydriver

I'm in....plan is to build a scaled-up version of the JAPP that Stewart sent me, but I'll be using a modern radio at least for now (but I will use the rudder yoke vice pushrod).

Robert, using throttle with rudder was certainly allowed in Class 1 aerobatics. Coupling the rudder and elevator may be a bit of a trimming nightmare, tho'. Using rudder only would actually be easier as you will have a better feel for killing the stall following a zoom. Additionally, rudder commands on short final dead stick could cause a stall just when you don't need it. Try diving in to R/O or rudder plus throttle....the water's fine!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:18 AM
build light

If I would be able to use throttle (crutch) I would say count me in but I would not want to sully the waters.

I am going to step up on my creation and see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up on the coupled ele/rud. I had a feeling it would cause more problem than it would be worth.

Robert
Old 01-22-2007, 01:12 AM
burtcs

Bruce:

Ok already all this arm twisting, jesh. I'll do a Plecan Hep Cat with some kind of diesel (09 to 25) and single channel servo (RO). I mean is any body going to beat me up about the Hep Cat and diesel? Or maybe a 15FP glow...or maybe a ....

regards - Steve B.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:54 AM
BMatthews

I'm amazed at the number of replies that came on while I was out for dinner.

OK, throttle or a cutoff is permitted since it'll provide a comfort blanket for those of you that still don't trust the concept. But you have to agree to at least TRY not to use it as a built in elevator control which is what it'll act like if you're jazzing it all over the place. Besides, that way we open up the door to electrics as well and that may be fun.

Using an Airhog twin motor setup is sort of like rudder only. And this is all just for fun anyhow so yeah, build something for it if you want.

Plans.... I'll PM Dave Fritzke and see if he can put up a special collection of RO plans from his collection to support this event. There's also a lot of candidates in the Vintage RC Pond collection hosted by the AMA I would think. And I'm sure that some of the old kit plans are still available. Also I'll have to check but Model Airplane News should still have all it's old stuff up for sale as well. Perhaps some scans of pictures taken from the old magazines for those of you that won't remember all the oldies would help. But no complete articles just so we don't tread on the copyright god's toes please.

And yes Steve, this part of the Universe covers up to .15 so you're in...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:34 AM
vega

Nice idea Bruce! I'll have a go too. Veron Cardinal and a DC Merlin for urge.

Jon
Old 01-22-2007, 07:47 AM
tangerine-jack

Sure OK, but I don't have the time to build anything else right now. Would it be OK if I took my Jr Falcon and built a new rudder only tail section? I could do that in a day.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Yoo hoo RaineDave,

What's the name of that Lee Renauld design you posted the pic of the plan of(for)? I used TilePrint (a WONDERFUL tool) to print it - using the first (only) dimension I found (2-inch dihedral). When I lined up the pages the model came out looking a little big for a TD .010 (as it calls for). Do you know the wing span listed for it?

Frankly, I'm thinking of postponing work on the Pageboy because it does look a little 'hot' for a first RO effort. So now I'm open to other suggestions and that one you posted looks like it may have the right offsets (engine, wing, stab). But I think I need a different size than what I have now.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:39 AM
MJD

Sounds like fun! I wanna play too!

I'm guessing proportional RO is okay?

MJD

I sure hope so since not many of us have a spare escapement sitting around...

My Mini Reb RO is flying with an Airtronics RD6000 fancy computer mixing TX. All for rudder only...

Old 01-22-2007, 01:40 PM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: tangerine-jack

Sure OK, but I don't have the time to build anything else right now. Would it be OK if I took my Jr Falcon and built a new rudder only tail section? I could do that in a day.
Yep, that's fine. We just want to join in with the RO fun. This is as much about stepping up to the trimming and flying challenges as it is about building.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:34 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I'd like to give it a shot again
Got a couple that could be made flyable...
Old 01-22-2007, 08:28 PM
tangerine-jack

Right, cool, I'm in!

Now as far as trimming goes, is it much the same as rubber FF in that you give about a million hand launches, make adjustments then add power in incriments? I can't find a lot on the subject in print.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
build light

Thanks for the broad range of acceptance!

That means I am tossing my hat into the ring!

Er, Uh More points for also desiging and building a ship for the effort (ahh needs all the help ahh kin git)?

Still working on a name for her.
I have several started.
He Hate Me
Orion
Worm Farmer
Gravity is My Enemy
Fool's Gold
Cobalt
Slippery When Wet
Chicken Dance
Which way is up?
Come Back Here
I Ain't Got It!!!
Dreamy Pie
You Cute Li'l Thang

Robert
Old 01-22-2007, 10:21 PM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: tangerine-jack

Right, cool, I'm in!

Now as far as trimming goes, is it much the same as rubber FF in that you give about a million hand launches, make adjustments then add power in incriments? I can't find a lot on the subject in print.

And definetly start with too much downthrust and it really, really helps to have the proverbial field of tall grass at hand... We can get into al that later once we get partly through the building phase.

Speaking of phases, since we are sort of in the Design Phase, be aware that I found out the hard way that RO designs benifit a lot from lots of decalage. 5 degrees of decalage would be considered a LOT on a sport model but on a RO design it's a nice starting point. And most of the angle should be in the wing with the engine and tail more or less in line or parallel angle wise. Putting most of the positive angle into the wing aids in the downthrust issue by minimizing the broken nose look . In effect a high positive wing angle automatically builds in the downthrust you want. After all, it's all about the wing and everything else references to that as far as the air is concerned.

Dave Fritzke got back to me and he's on side. Look to his site for a collection of RO specials appearing in the next few days. He's even threatening to join in the fun here!

Keep an eye on his site at.... http://my.pclink.com/%7Edfritzke/

And I'm going to get some work done on my Mini Reb plans and hope to have them hosted somewhere by the weekend coming up for downloading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.