Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

what got you into it????

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

what got you into it????

Old 02-14-2003, 02:53 AM
powerglide
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what got you into it????

well 2fast ya beat me on that one, was just thinkin of posting something on that subject , so therefore heres another one ya'll can unload on>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>what we started flying is a very good subject indeed, another question would be where did we get this disease??? well its like this---------->>>probibly on my uncles farm back around 1959, a couple of us kids wondered into a drugstore looking at toys, thier were 3 brandnew wenmac corsairs on the shelf and some how we talked the uncle into getting one, "thats when all the stuff was in the box!!! so all ya needed to do is fire it up and try to fly it if ya didnt do a figure nine!!!!! some how never got the smell outta my system and the rest is history>>>>>>
Old 02-14-2003, 03:25 AM
BMatthews

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back when I was 12 in 1965 I was making plastic airplanes and doing all the painting and detailing type stuff. I was checking out the local library for books and in amongst the plastic model stuff I found a couple of model airplane books. I can still remember them. Bill Dean's Book of Balsa Models and Walt Musciano's Flying Scale Models. The idea caught on. I built my first little chuck glider and when it soared across my father's shop I was hooked.

Did the usual Sleek Streak thing when I was younger but somehow it never connected until I decided to give the balsa stuff a try. That was probably sometime in October or November of 1965. Shortly after that I got my first model magazine in December. Model Airplane New. I read these early magazines so many times I could almost recite the articles word for word.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:47 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Allways had an interest in planes since I can remember.

When I was in grade 2 when one of my father's friends gave him a few model magazines (American Aircraft Modeller, some early RCM's and FM's) which I still have today! That got me going, looking at all the pictures! Then someone gave us an old control line kit around the same time I got my Cox RTF control liner... then I met this older gentleman that took my under his wing and helped me learn to build and appreciate the entire hobby. Went to his house every weekend for years to build models... the rest is history!

Andrew
Old 02-14-2003, 04:41 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

My dad was an airline pilot. He didn't like models, but he sure flew some sweet planes!!! I started building plastic models of the things he was flying, then got that first Cox C/L and off I went. I destroyed my first R/C plane and didn't do another R/C for almost 13 years. After the break, I built a PT Trainer. From test flight till the time I sold it, I never did any damage to it. That was almost 18 months of constant flying. The wing folded on the new owner at the bottom of a loop, 3 months after I sold it.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:27 PM
PAINLESS
My Feedback: (19)

I started with plastic models also, me and a friend would build them all winter then spend the summer blowing them up with firecrackers in mock battles. My job now involves blowing things up, on a bigger scale.

In about 1972 a guy by the name of Gene Rogers, who worked with my dad and had many published plans in Flying models, gave me a bunch of engines and kits, mostly CL stuff. He was getting out of the hobby to build a full scale kit plane. I don't know if he ever finished it, we moved away a year or two later.

And as they say, "the rest is history"
Old 02-14-2003, 05:51 PM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

Default I've always been into airplanes

Since I was a little boy, that was all I ever thought about, flying, every thing I drew, every toy I made from lego's, every picture I had on my wall. everything.

I built plastic models first, I would occasionally do one of the stick and tissue rubber band powered ones too, but those were pretty hard at that time. I had an uncle who was an RC pilot and I would go to the swap meets with him and I would go to watch him fly... it was just incredible.

I got a Cox extra 230 U control kit for my birthday one year... I'm not sure if I ever got it to fly in circles, I know that I spent a lot of time chasing it around trying to get it to fly on it's own. I can still remember the smell of that fuel...I've loved it my whole life.

When I was 12 my uncle gave an old kit of a Sig Kadet Jr, my father and I built it, my uncle covered it and gave me the engine. We would fly it every weekend at my greandparents house over the lake.

He had his first child a few year later, I moved away after that..

I was in a hobby shop in the mall about a year ago and I saw the Sig Hummer. I was instantly hooked again. I got a new TD .049, another Cox super power starting kit and it was off...

I havent spent a dime of expendable income on anything else since.

Old 02-14-2003, 06:32 PM
DICKEYBIRD

A buddy up the street got a Wen-mac Bonanza for his birthday and couldn't get it started. I read the instructions and got it running one saturday afternoon....as soon as I was hit with the sensation of power, the smell, the noise, I haven't been the same since! :spinnyeye
Old 02-14-2003, 10:29 PM
kingbee

Two things:

First, I had been building plastic cars and planes, but at about age 10 (1969) I borrowed from the local library a book on model airplanes by Robert Lopshire. I was fascinated by the intricate structure of a stick & tissue plane, so started building lots of Comet & Guillow's models. Most didn't fly worth a darn, BTW.

Second, a couple years later I happened upon some men flying their R/C gliders at a bluff overlooking the ocean. I was immediately hooked on soaring, althought it would be 1978 before I would actually build an R/C model that flew. I play with small fuel powered stuff and electric power but sailplanes are still what I like best.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 02-15-2003, 06:07 AM
goldguy

Well, when I was a youngster, I became a Smallster, took the oath when I was about 5 years old in the 40's when I was shown a collection of solid models use for aircraft recognization. I had never seen anything like them before and was overwhelmed.

I was shown them by a man who rented a room from a neighbour. When I returned to view these treasures, I found out that he had been arrested and turned out to be a German spy!!!!! He was watching the shipping activities in the harbour of Halifax, Nova Scotia, where I as born.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:07 PM
powerglide
My Feedback: (4)

well fellas, I can see the disease is absolutley incurible and we might have to operate meaning>>>opening the next kit