Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

G&Z .049

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:12 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default G&Z .049

Well, I needed a bit of fun at the house, but could not leave.. (baby daughter was napping inside...[sm=teeth_smile.gif]) So I broke down and pulled out the G&Z .049 I bought at the Toledo show a few years ago... I've never run the thing, and had never even cut the spinner....

So I made myself a little fixture to hold the spinner and cut it to fit the blue carbon prop I bought from George Cleveland at the same show. Took about 20 minutes to do it with the dremel... I'm a bit ticked at myself, as I let the bit slip at one point and scarred the spinner outside... [:'(]. I'll pull it and polish that out at some point..

Anyway, after getting it on the test stand, I found that all of the Nelson plugs seemed to be bad. I ended up getting out a continuity tester to find one that was good. After popping that plug in the engine, it took nearly 20 minutes of bumping the thing with the starter to get it to burst into life. I even had to pull the pipe off the little highstrung mill. (very loud without the pipe...) Then I put the pipe back on and fired it up...

The motor seems a bit touchy on the needle, but ran pretty well on the 30% I have. I ended up getting 30K out of it with little tuning and without playing with different shim stacks. Fun sound for sure.

I ruined the silicone pipe coupler, so I need to call up Bill and get another couple headed my way.

Now I need to design something to fly this beast in! [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 06-16-2007, 09:22 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: G&Z .049

HA. HAH... Now we're talkin' 1/2A again... Good Man Matchless.
We missed Yourself and the 'Bird @ SMALL. Only Mr. Christensen and Mr. Sweeney fired off TD .010 models.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:25 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: G&Z .049

Well, itz about time! For the sake of longevity, get the prop load and compression ratio dialed in ASAP. The .061 is happy with the APC 4.2x4...... it was real touchy until I stumbled onto this prop.
There is something pretty special about these touchy little ba$tids, the spinner and pipe are engineering marvels, so light and precise. Let me know what you come up with if you can keep yours' from eating a plug every other run, that's what keeps me from flying mine more often. The key might be to compare the Fora combustion chamber shape to the GZs'.