Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Dakota Bipe kit???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:11 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota Bipe kit???

I think I saw a laser cut kit out for the 1/2a Dakota some where. Or may be a future kit to be?? Any help on this one ??
Old 08-02-2007, 06:09 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dakota Bipe kit???

http://www.bmjrmodels.com/catalog.cfm?ID=Nostalgia
Old 08-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a good price for a kit of that little Dakota bipe. I have an original OK .049 that would be perfect for it but I was wondering if anyone had adapted one for R/C.

The original was made to to a climbing turn and then unwind on the way down. Bet one with more running time and RC would be a great little fun model.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:31 PM
rainedave

Did Skaliwag ever kit the Skaliwag?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:35 PM
skaliwag

Reply to Dan..

It is indeed a fun model adapted to R/C. It was my second R/C plane after the Ace High / .049 Cox / power pod glider.
The engine isn't clear in the picture but I remember it being an old, wore out Wen Mac. It later was given a PAW 55..... Touch and goes on the Base Ball diamond type fun.
The Dakota was the plane that really got me hooked on baby airplanes...
And the honour of knowing Joe and a couple of his Sons.

Reply to Dave...

No Skaliwag Kit. Laser cutting wasn't as cheap and easy to do back then. And I had a real job with not so much spare time or disposable income!!!!!
I sold the plan to Flying Models.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78930.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	734697  
Old 08-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Dan Vincent

skaliwag,

Sounds like a good way to spend some relaxing flying time.

I have a set of plans I got from Joe a couple of years ago but like the sound of a kit much better. Gettin' too old to be hacking out parts. Too bad someone doesn't make an ARF Dakota.

Looking through my stash of engines I don't have a single .049 with throttle. I think an MP-jets glo or diesel .061 might be a bit much, maybe a G-Mark .061 might be a little better.

I just started selling off some stuff on ebay and have a G-Mark .03 R/C listed, maybe I should have kept that one.

Yeah, an RC Dakota has my attention.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 PM
skaliwag

Yep... The G-Mark .03 / Dakota would be a good combo... (Now how do ya feel?)
Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 PM
skaliwag

Foot Note...... I remember one time doing a "Dawn Patrol" on the #3 green at a golf course community I was working at. The Dakota in the picture had 2 inch Guillows wheels from a defunct 'Spit and had no trouble on the carpet.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Dan Vincent

Yeah, exactly.

I was feeling guilty about having some engines that I though might be of use to others and decided to pass on that neat little Hummingbird to someone who might want to use it.

Oh well, my motto is "Why have one engine when ten will do?"

I have always wanted one of those little German Schlosser diesels with BB shafts and R/C carbs. Maybe I'll sell some more stuff so I can afford one.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:12 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Dan,

Someone did an RC Dakota by enlarging it, making built-up wing, and removing wing incidence. Seems like it was published in "Model Aviation" in the seventies. No kit, though.

Yeah, that G-Mark .03 woulda been great...

George
Old 08-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Dan Vincent

Hi George.

I put a reserve of fifty bucks on it so maybe I'll luck out and no one will bid on it.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan,

I took a look at your eBay listing for your pristine G-Mark .03 - and I just might bid on it...

Incidently, I noticed that you started your engine for $50. The listing fee for an item starting at $50 is $2.40, and the listing fee for an item starting for $49.99 is $1.20. If you change your starting price to $49.99 (now, BEFORE someone bids on it), eBay will credit you back $1.20. (I hate to give greedy eBay any more $$$ than I have to!)

Arlen
Old 08-03-2007, 04:04 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had two of those in the early 50's, Free flight of course one with a K&B infant and the other with a Spitfire 045. Both of these motors were animic and were perfect for this type of plane. 200 feet up and about 200 feet downwind were about normal for a flight in zero to 5 mph winds.
Dennis
Old 08-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Dan Vincent

Arlen,

I didn't know about the price cutoff. I've just recently started listing stuff so I have much to learn.

Also have much stuff to get rid of. I'll just put a little up every few days, don't want to get too many irons in the fire.

Dennis,

I think Joe Wagner told me he designed the Dakota to be flown with an OK Cub .049 as it had just the right amount of power to fly the Dakota the way he wanted it to perform.
It would also fly well with an Atwood Wasp .049, Atwood .049, K&B Torpedo .049, Royal Spitfire .049, Spitzy .045 and maybe a McCoy Diesel .049.

All I know is I want a Dakota kit, lightweight radio and a suitable RC engine to power it.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:25 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a good group on Yahoo that deals just with Dakotas. It is called dakotastories. VECOJOE (Joe Wagner) frequents the forum.

George
Old 08-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Dan Vincent

Hi again George,

I found it, looks like all kinds of interesting info.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dakotastories/

You can bet I'll be reading all the threads.

While we're at it, do you remember a little Midwest FF named the "Sniffer?"

I think it was designed for a Spitzy .045.

I'm contemplating selling the house and moving into an apartment so I can get away from the constant homeowner thing of fixing up stuff instead of building and flying. My only requirement is the new place has an air-conditioned shed or garage for me to play in. After all these years the wife still complains about various smells from cans and bottles I open in the house. Gotta keep the aromas out of the house. Can you imagine someone not liking the smell of diesel fuel?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:00 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dan Vincent

Hi again George,

I found it, looks like all kinds of interesting info.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dakotastories/

You can bet I'll be reading all the threads.

While we're at it, do you remember a little Midwest FF named the "Sniffer?"

I think it was designed for a Spitzy .045.

I'm contemplating selling the house and moving into an apartment so I can get away from the constant homeowner thing of fixing up stuff instead of building and flying. My only requirement is the new place has an air-conditioned shed or garage for me to play in. After all these years the wife still complains about various smells from cans and bottles I open in the house. Gotta keep the aromas out of the house. Can you imagine someone not liking the smell of diesel fuel?

Dan,
I converted the sniffer to R/C in the single channel days, Citizenship equipment with an SE-2 escapement. Used the Pee Wee 02 and had an external tank on it. Flew just like the typical s/c ships of the day and was a barrell of fun. With todays equipment it would be a blast but of course I'd never 2 channel it. There is very little room in that plane to add a lot of anything. Better off to get the super sniffer. Aren't we lucky that you can get new lazer cut kits of these planes Dennis
Old 08-05-2007, 07:12 PM
peterburford

A pretty 'plane and an interesting read on the forum.
Dad (Gordon Burford) remembers it well.
I'm a machinist and an engine maker more than a modeller, but maybe this is one I should build for my 0.20 diesel?
If I bought a kit, it would niggle until I finished it.
I have the plans for Bert Steiegler's Pumkin Seed, but even with good intentions have not yet gone further.
Peter
Old 08-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Dan Vincent

Hi Peter,

Looking at my Dakota plan it is all sheet balsa. A kit should be a snap to put together.

I was thinking your little powerhouse would probably be an ideal match.

Joe Wagner also designed the "Sioux" which has a built-up high wing. According to the plan, it has a 36" span with 180 square inches.

Both the Dakota and Sioux are fondly remembered by many American modelers from the '50's and '60's.

You could do a lot worse than these two to show off your marvelous little engine.